Classic scones with jam and clotted cream Ingredients
- 350g self-raising flour , plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g butter , cut into cubes
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
squeeze lemon juice (see Know-how below)
beaten egg , to glaze
jam and clotted cream , to serve
- 1. Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Tip the flour into a large bowl with the salt and baking powder, then mix. Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
2. Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot. Add the vanilla and lemon juice, then set aside for a moment. Put a baking sheet in the oven.
3. Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife - it will seem pretty wet at first. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it's a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
4. Take a 5cm cutter (smooth-edged cutters tend to cut more cleanly, giving a better rise) and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. By this point you'll probably need to press what's left of the dough back into a round to cut out another four. Brush the tops with beaten egg, then carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
5. Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with jam and clotted cream. If freezing, freeze once cool. Defrost, then put in a low oven (about 160C/fan140C/gas 3) for a few mins to refresh.
268 kcalories, protein 6g, carbohydrate 41g, fat 10 g, saturated fat 6g, fibre 1g, sugar 8g, salt 0.95 g
Selection of Summer Sandwiches (including triangle) Ingredients
- Goat's cheese, walnut & roasted pepper (Makes 20)
200g soft goat's cheese
100g cream cheese
10 slices white bread
2 roasted red peppers
Lemony cucumber & prawn (Makes 12)
6 slices wholemeal bread
½ cucumber , thinly sliced
4 tbsp mayonnaise
zest of 1 lemon
6 large cooked prawns , halved for topping
Creamy egg & cress (Makes 12)
2 chopped spring onions
2-3 tbsp crème fraîche
12 small rolls
cress , to serve
- 1. For the goat's cheese, walnut & roasted pepper sandwiches, mix together 200g soft goat's cheese with 100g cream cheese. Spread most of the mixture over 5 slices white bread. Slice 2 roasted red peppers into strips, divide between the bread, then top each with another slice white bread. Trim the crusts, then cut each sandwich into 4 triangles. Whizz 25g walnuts until fine. Spread 1 edge of each sandwich with the remaining cheese mix, then dip into the chopped walnuts.
2. For the lemony cucumber & prawn sandwiches, lightly spread 6 slices wholemeal bread with butter. Cover with a layer of thinly sliced cucumber, then use a 5-6cm round cutter to stamp out 12 circles. Mix together 4 tbsp mayonnaise with zest 1 lemon. Top each circle with 1 halved large cooked prawn and a dollop of the lemony mayonnaise.
3. For the creamy egg & cress sandwiches, boil 4 eggs for 8 mins. Cool the eggs, peel, mash, then mix with 2 chopped spring onions and 2-3 tbsp crème fraîche. Season, then spread over 12 small rolls. Add a little cress, pop on the lids and serve.
Lemon Bars Ingredients
- FOR THE SLICE BASE
175.0g plain flour
50.0g ground rice
85.0g golden caster sugar
140.0g cold butter , diced
1.0 tbsp milk
FOR THE LEMON TOPPING
zest 3 lemons , plus 200ml/7fl oz juice (about 4 lemons)
200.0g caster sugar
icing sugar , to dust
1. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line a 21 or 22cm square, shallow baking tin with baking parchment. Put the flour, ground rice and sugar in a bowl with the butter and rub in until fine crumbs form. Stir in the milk with a cutlery knife. Tip into the tin and press down evenly. Bake for 15-20 mins until golden.
2. Remove the tin and lower oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Mix the lemon juice and eggs, then sieve into a bowl with the sugar, flour and zest. Whisk to combine, pour over the base, then bake for 10-15 mins until the top is just set. Cool in the tin, dust with icing sugar, then slice.
Nutrition Per Serving
278 kcalories, protein 4.0g, carbohydrate 42.0g, fat 12.0 g, saturated fat 7.0g, fibre 1.0g, sugar 26.0g, salt 0.2 g