[strike]PS4 Highlights![/strike] Did I say PS4? I mean ACIV!

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
Invunarble
Site Contributor

Re: PS4 Highlights!

Post by Invunarble » 23 Jul 2013, 15:07

Oh look, ubi just released another gameplay teaser for Assassin's Creed 4, just making me even more envious of this game.

Ubisoft, srsly, staaaaaaaahp!
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 23 Jul 2013, 22:02

Remember when Assassin's Creed games were about assassinating people?Pepperidge Farm remembers. I miss the good old days of Assassin's Creed II.
WWTDD

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 24 Jul 2013, 00:13

I still see much assassinating in this game, but it's just... it has crabs now too! I'm completely sold.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 24 Jul 2013, 07:17

Frankly I'm really confused about the direction they've taken. Gameplay trumping storyline is certainly not a bad move but it just seems more like it would take the place of Brotherhood or Revelations as inter-sequels rather than a full fledged one. I'd thought that a proper sequel meant a pretty different time period and location, as well as the time period jumping forward. Having a sequel be before the events of a previous game really messes with my chronological OCD.

What do you mean the good old days of ACII, Wasder? There's still been plenty of assassinating past that.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 24 Jul 2013, 10:49

True, but I really dislike the other elements they introduced- I didn't even like managing the estate in ACII very much either. Whilst the piratey thing is kinda cool, I feel like they could have built an interesting new IP out of it. The whole just smacks of trying to squeeze money out of brand recognition.
WWTDD

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 24 Jul 2013, 16:17

I'm kind of the opposite in terms of preference on how much gameplay content is in each game - I actually prefer when there's more unique supplements to gameplay and more diversity instead of just simply being thrown a mission and told to assassinate people.

That's really the one thing I couldn't stand about AC I when I played it. Each mission consisted of either pickpocketing someone, eavesdropping on someone, or (after soo many side missions) simply being given a target to kill, all in the same monotonous manner.

From AC II onwards, Ubi's been adding more and more diversity to their games, and I can certainly say I'm happy for this. I'd rather they continue making AC gameplay more complex and unique as opposed to gradually shifting back towards the simple gameplay they had in AC I.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 24 Jul 2013, 16:41

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Frankly I'm really confused about the direction they've taken. Gameplay trumping storyline is certainly not a bad move but it just seems more like it would take the place of Brotherhood or Revelations as inter-sequels rather than a full fledged one. I'd thought that a proper sequel meant a pretty different time period and location, as well as the time period jumping forward. Having a sequel be before the events of a previous game really messes with my chronological OCD..
I'm sort of confused as to what you mean by this, Lord.

I don't think that Black Flag is a sequel to ACIII - isn't the full title Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag? I don't know if this is how they do it or not, but as far as I know, a new number in the title has always meant a new protagonist: Altair, then Ezio in ACII (and Brotherhood and Revelations, without numbers), then Connor in ACIII (which I couldn't stand, and I imagine that's why they didn't follow up with a sequel), and Edward in Black Flag. I think it's just confusing because this new one is the only numbered game so far to have a subtitle.

Unless what I just said is what you meant, in which case.. well,

EDIT: Okay, after making myself look like a dumbass, I think I figured it out.

Assassin's Creed II and III were essentially only sequels to the original in the sense that they were connected by the modern gameplay (Abstergo and all that confusing shit). Haven't they done away with that following Assassin's Creed III - you're just playing in the time period (1717, I think) of the game.. right?

So, it is a sequel to Assassin's Creed III.. but, in a different way than III was to II, and II was to the first. Therefore, I don't think it should have to follow the convention of progressing chronologically, especially since (in my opinion) they entered a really bad time period for the franchise with Assassin's Creed III. I think they're backtracking to a safer place in time.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Re: [strike]PS4 Highlights![/strike] Did I say PS4? I mean A

Post by Invunarble » 13 Aug 2013, 12:59

So, it seems like one of Ubisoft's devs revealed a bit more about the present-day character you play as now. I was a bit bummed out at first that you wouldn't play as Desmond anymore, but some of the stuff they've revealed's actually a bit interesting AND CAN POTENTIALLY BE SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS GAMES - the link's here.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 05 Sep 2013, 14:16

I'm sorry I keep posting about this, but Ubisoft has yet again released another 10 minute gameplay video that upon watching made me drool enough saliva to flood the Sahara Desert.

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 06 Sep 2013, 11:08

Still same view of ANOTHERCOD AC

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 06 Sep 2013, 11:20

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 06 Sep 2013, 13:44

Iron_Fang wrote:Still same view of ANOTHERCOD AC
So tell me, does CoD give you the ability to fly a ship while drunk? Can you do that?! CAN YOU?! HUH? HUH?!