Support and feedback welcomed!

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
aeroeng15
Retired

Support and feedback welcomed!

Post by aeroeng15 » 06 May 2013, 16:40

Hello!

For anyone keeping tabs in human exploration of space, certainly Mars One has been on your radar. If not, I direct you here: http://mars-one.com/en/faq-en

Basically, Mars One is being marketed as a one-way trip to Mars, achieved within ~ the next decade. They plan on holding applications in a reality-TV style setup, that is a global endeavour. So everything will be televised.

Right now, the primary application process is going on, and I have decided to apply!

My profile -> http://www.seru.us/ca4e2

I encourage you to view the profile and video (which is 30-70 seconds long and has 3 questions) and leave any comments and feedback. In fairness to everyone else, I encourage you to view other applicants too.

Thanks for your consideration! :)

aero

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Re: Support and feedback welcomed!

Post by Jake55778 » 06 May 2013, 17:03

One way? That sounds like one hell of a commitment to make a decade in advance.

Video and sounds quality could use work. Try re-shooting during the day, with a lamp off camera to help fill in the shadows. If you're recording on a laptop try filming test shots in different rooms and see if it improves the audio.

As for the content... you just come off as kinda normal. I don't know the selection process they'll be judging these against, but you don't seem accomplished enough to stand out against potential astronauts, and definitely not wacky enough for your average reality TV show. I'd imagine this sort of contest is going to attract a lot of people your age group, with similar backgrounds and interests, I'm not sure your current application makes you stand out sufficiently from the crowd.
The staff here are all trolls

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 06 May 2013, 17:12

You're applying to go to mars? You can apply to do that? I just don't... eh...

Something seems a bit odd about that, planning a "trip to mars" 10 years in advance and allowing ANYONE to apply to do it. Isn't there qualifications and stuff you need before just going out into space?
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

aeroeng15
Retired

Post by aeroeng15 » 06 May 2013, 17:36

jake: Noted, I will have to plan for that as it gets dark kinda quickly here compared to when I get home from work (working with a laptop). And that's part of the issue with applying so young: I don't have much to go on. Other than trying to get across that I am enthusiastic and trying to prep myself for such a thing.

Invun: Obviously they can't just say "Oh hey, you're popular, you get to go to Mars!" There is a whole selection process (with multiple stages spanning PR and physical training/testing) that will be televised. They will ultimately pick the best qualified teams that do have public support. That being said, the chance of being picked/voted for is probably going to be slim.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 06 May 2013, 18:53

Yeah, but still... 10 years in advance? That's a pretty long time to be doing a selection process.
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

aeroeng15
Retired

Post by aeroeng15 » 06 May 2013, 19:00

.... The selection process won't take 10 years. All the training and other stuff will have to happen in that time with the selected astronauts.

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 07 May 2013, 01:34

(Crazy Dutch dude who wants to make money from an almost certain to fail venture)

Despite my opinions, though, I think it's good that you're applying. It's a pretty damned epic idea, and if they get it to work then it's awesomely awesome.
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 14 May 2013, 04:36

Wow...
I've heard about this quite a bit, but to know someone who's actually applying is new! Good luck with the application Aero. Maybe one day we'll look up to the night sky and know that you're out there.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 14 May 2013, 10:18

Aero, you do recognize that this is a con, correct? Every single interview with the ones behind this project show they are completely inept at science and cost, specifically with how to get there and how much it would cost them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they simply take the money that people give for applying and run.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 14 May 2013, 11:23

Sounds like a very inefficient way to con people, through donations and $5 application fees. If it is a fake then I expect the goal is to go through with the full selection process and televise it, with everyone except the participants aware that it's a joke. Along the same lines as this show from a few years back.

Greater potential for profit, and far less of a backlash than if they just took the application money and ran.
The staff here are all trolls