Fun Facts/This Day in History

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
aflycon
Retired

Fun Facts/This Day in History

Post by aflycon » 19 Feb 2013, 02:10

I've decided to start a thread for fun facts, since I love them so much.

Just post your fun fact along with a relevant picture if you can, and we'll all learn something new every day. If you can, try to include something that happened on the day of your post in your post. Sources are appreciated.

I'll start:

Fun fact #1:
Mountbatten.jpg
Our very own Lord Mountbatten could have been called Lord Battenhill, Lord Battenburgh, Lord Battenborough, or Lord Battenbury. However, Mountbatten was settled on when Prince Louis changed his family name from Battenberg in 1917 due to anti-German sentiment in Britain. The other names were suggestions made to the Prince. Source: http://goo.gl/Bce1P

Either way, he's still DJ Battenberg, First Earl of the Funk.

This Day in History (18 February):

On February 18. 1861, Jefferson Davis was inaugurated as the President of the Confederate States of America. At the same time in Sardinia, Victor Emmanuel II became king of Italy.

--

Could you learn all of these things from Wikipedia with less effort? Yeah, but it's more fun this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrWhales

Re: Fun Facts/This Day in History

Post by MrWhales » 19 Feb 2013, 11:59

Continuing with the British bits, this day in US Navy history, the USS Constitution captured the British brig Catherine

SMWasder
Retired

Re: Fun Facts/This Day in History

Post by SMWasder » 19 Feb 2013, 12:10

Yet more British awesomeness: Tony Iommi is 65 today.
Spoiler! :
WWTDD