R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
Iron_Fang
Retired

R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

Post by Iron_Fang » 25 Aug 2012, 16:16

Today Neil Armstrong died at the age of 82. He will be missed :(

aflycon
Retired

Re: R.I.P. Neil Armstrong.

Post by aflycon » 25 Aug 2012, 16:36

From one of my favorite Facebook pages:
I fucking love science wrote: I'm sure that like me, you were all shocked to hear of the death of Neil Armstrong. If I'm honest, I was completely flabbergasted in spite of his age and recent heart surgery.

It was not simply the death of someone famous, or the death of someone we all admired. It was the death of someone who made history. The death of someone whose name will still be taught in a thousand years. How many people can say that?

I've spent the last hour putting together a long post all about his life. But to be honest, if you want to know where he went to college and his mothers maiden name you can Wikipedia him. That doesn't matter. What matters is that a man who inspired millions of people, myself included, died today.

Neil lived a long and happy life. In spite my my initial tears, I won't be mourning him. I'll just be grateful and happy that such a brave, good man ever existed and that he lived such a long happy life - and had the opportunity to change history.

I will leave you with two quotes. The first is from his family, who released this statement:
"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

And the second is from Neil himself.
"I think we're going to the moon because it's in the nature of the human being to face challenges. It's by the nature of his deep inner soul... we're required to do these things just as salmon swim upstream."

RIP Neil. You changed the world.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 25 Aug 2012, 17:23

http://seru.us/71cf9

so many onions man.

Losarot
Retired

Post by Losarot » 29 Aug 2012, 23:58

To Neil, To think that man once stood astride the surface of Luna, Let us continue to strive for a world in which we as a human race continue onward to the stars one day.