What are you reading?

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
XxGhOsTxReCoNxX
Retired

What are you reading?

Post by XxGhOsTxReCoNxX » 17 Sep 2011, 01:17

Since I had just finished the Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins, I decided to make this thread! Also I kinda copied the name from Drid.(sorry) >.>

I am now reading The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

aflycon
Retired

Re: What are you reading?

Post by aflycon » 17 Sep 2011, 01:22

Different Seasons by Stephen King.

Finished The Body first (should have been third), currently reading Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. That was adapted into the best movie of all time.

You can either get busy living, or get busy dying.

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 17 Sep 2011, 01:52

Im currently reading the label on the back of your top.

:D
But serously, im also reading hunger games :D

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 17 Sep 2011, 03:52

Yesterday I finished The Karamazov Brothers, by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Moving onto a Churchill biography (by Roy Jenkins) I read half of whilst on holiday.

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 17 Sep 2011, 05:30

Reading The Infernal City by Greg Keyes

Moving on to The Leopard by Jo Nesbø (He is a Norwegian author and I will read the book in Norwegian, and the English name of the book is strange, as the real name of the book is Armored Heart, stupid Englishmen :P )
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 17 Sep 2011, 05:33

The Road to Serfdom by FA Hayek :)

complex philosophy and economics is fun! :D
twilight_reading_by_lemonlimeman-d49z6h4.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vallorn on 17 Sep 2011, 05:41, edited 2 times in total.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 17 Sep 2011, 05:34

Well, I've been reading a bit of Carl Hiasan's stuff. He's brilliant. Hilarious books, but great plots at the same time. It shows how one small thing can spiral out of control.
I recently finished 'Skinny Dip' and 'Native Tongue'.
Both are great.

SD is about a guy who decides he'll push his wife off a cruise boat, and then the next day, go home to his girlfriend who he's been having an affair with. Nice guy, right?
Unfortunately for him, his wife survives. She then begins to have fun by creeping him out, instead of revealing that she is alive. The situation soon spirals out of control however, with murder attempts, corporate corruption, police, and much more, in the quest to find out why he tried kill her (as in her will, she left nothing to him).

Native Tongue was the next I read, and it lived up to the expectations I held with Skinny Dip. Native Tongue follows a number of characters, with the main character being Joe Winder, a PR man who was hired to work for The Amazing Kingdom of Thrills. The Amazing Kingdom is owned by Francis Kingsbury, not the nicest guy you'll ever meet. With a shady background, a strange habit of never forming complete sentences, and a love for nothing but money, he's not a great boss. As well as that, he's always angry, because he can't compete with Disney Land (to show his hatred for the theme park, he has a rather inappropriate tattoo of Mickey Mouse). Anyway, in an attempt to compete with Disney, Kingsbury decides to try and save an endangered species, by keeping the last of the species in his park.
But when environmental activist Molly McNamara, an old lady, hires to thugs just out of prison for petty theft to steal the animals and bring them back to her (as she doesn't want them trapped in a display box), things go bad. They go even worse when the thugs accidentally kill the animals.
To top things all off, a scientist at the park, who is supervising the animals, is found dead the next day inside the stomach of a whale.
Like Skinny Dip, this spirals out of control as well. The protagonist, Joe Winder, who is itching for a nice story, like his days as a journalist, investigates the scientist's death. Suddenly, more corporate corruption is discovered, the mafia get involved, an FBI agent gets beaten up by an old lady, and a crazy, aggressive security guard turns into a hitman of a sort after taking far too many steroids.

To add to these, there's a recurring character throughout Hiasan's novels, called Skink. In Native Tongue, we discover much more about him. We find him living in the forests, feeding off roadkill, and always wears a pink shower cap. The history you discover about him in Native Tongue is... unexpected. XD

So yeah, that's my review. Now go read.
By the way, these books, especially Skinny Dip, are not for kids. There are certain parts of the books that are definitely not suitable for all ages.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 17 Sep 2011, 06:36

We're meant to be reading heroes by Robert Cormier at school but i've already finished it.

My all time favourite series is and will always be the Belgariad by David Eddings
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 17 Sep 2011, 06:50

The Patton biography was very good but now i'm planning to move onto Fever Crumb by Phillip Reeve
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 17 Sep 2011, 08:46

Skunk im now going to buy native tongue, it looks awesome.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 17 Sep 2011, 11:20

I've always been a sucker for fantasy, medieval, and sci-fi books. A few of the series I
m slowly going through are The Wheel of Time, a bunch of sci-fi and fantasy series by a guy called Christopher Halt, and I'm waiting for the next Eragon book to come out so I can buy all of them, since my other books got lost when I moved.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

givemeabreak432
Retired

Post by givemeabreak432 » 17 Sep 2011, 11:30

The Longlight Legacy book 3 (I don't remember the name).

After that I'm gonna read The Game of Thrones.

Post by 697134002 » 17 Sep 2011, 11:36

Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 17 Sep 2011, 12:23

I have read the hunger games trilogy and thousands of other books, recently LotR and the sagas of the Battle of the Fang

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 17 Sep 2011, 13:25

Lewis Black: Me of Little Faith
=3

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

ojamamask

Post by ojamamask » 17 Sep 2011, 15:34

Wildwill002 wrote:We're meant to be reading heroes by Robert Cormier
same here, right now we just finished chapter 4.

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 17 Sep 2011, 17:57

Well yesterday I finished Leviathan by Scott Westerfield.
Spoiler! :
Though probably aimed at people a bit younger than me, it was still pretty entertaining. It's set in an alternate, steampunk-styled WW1, and follows two different protagonists - a girl posing as a boy to join the British air force, and an Austrian boy on the run from the people who killed his father, the leader of Austria.
The two sides are the Darwinists (Britain, France, etc), who use genetically-modified creatures as vehicles and weapons, and the Clankers (Germany, Austria, etc), who rely on superior machinery like "walkers" (kind of like AT-ST's from Star Wars).
The stories of the protagonists end up intertwining and all that, leading to an ending I found disappointing. But I just learned it's a trilogy, so that explains that. I suppose I'll have to read the others then.

The best book I've read in the last year though, is definitely The perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
Spoiler! :
I didn't have high hopes when I learned the story was told entirely through diary entries, but I was ridiculously wrong. It's an amazing book, and I loved every bit of it.
If you want to know the storyline, just look here, but I really recommend just getting it and reading it.

Also, come next year, it'll be a movie starring Logan Lerman and Emma Watson.

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 17 Sep 2011, 19:02

That is some awesome cover illustration. I'd love to have seen how it was painted.

...I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, I just really liked that picture
The staff here are all trolls

Post by 697134002 » 17 Sep 2011, 19:16

Jake55778 wrote:
That is some awesome cover illustration. I'd love to have seen how it was painted.

...I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, I just really liked that picture
His site.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Fuzz422365117

Post by Fuzz422365117 » 17 Sep 2011, 19:27

I'm reading The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I'm a little bit past the middle. Great book so far :D I would like to recommend it to anyone that likes Hunger Games.
I would also like to recommend Runaway Twin by Peg Kehret. :D

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 17 Sep 2011, 20:54

sag185 wrote:Skunk im now going to buy native tongue, it looks awesome.
Trust me, it is. There were a few twists that I didn't see coming too, and overall, it's pretty damn funny. :D

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 18 Sep 2011, 01:17

There is something I want to continue reading, but SOMEONE hasn't emailed it to me yet. ;) Jokes. Take your time, make it good.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 18 Sep 2011, 01:30

Deep Secrets: The Discovery and Exploration of Lechuguilla Cave
by Stephen Reames

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 18 Sep 2011, 07:43

Hytro wrote:Moving on to The Leopard by Jo Nesbø (He is a Norwegian author and I will read the book in Norwegian, and the English name of the book is strange, as the real name of the book is Armored Heart, stupid Englishmen :P )
You sure it was marketed to the English? There's a recurring American habit of changing book titles because cynical publishers think the audience won't understand.

OT: I'm looking forward to MichaelD20's newest work of literature.

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 18 Sep 2011, 19:28

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”

It's the sequel to The Name of the Wind. Fantastic book, I just love the Rothfuss' style to bits.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 18 Sep 2011, 22:28

Pinn, I read that when it came out, excellent book, can't wait for Day 3

Post by 697134002 » 18 Sep 2011, 22:45

I've finished the book I was reading, so I'll post what I'm reading now.
Yes, Jake, there's a new cover by the guy who made the other one. But I bought this book before the new cover came out.

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 19 Sep 2011, 03:37

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:There is something I want to continue reading, but SOMEONE hasn't emailed it to me yet. ;) Jokes. Take your time, make it good.
Y U RUSH MEH?!?!? XD

UndeadJesus

Post by UndeadJesus » 19 Sep 2011, 04:07

Six Sacred Stones by Matthew Reilly. It's the sex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Reilly

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 19 Sep 2011, 04:55

Win^^^

I remember finishing that the week it came out, and having to suffer the horrible wait for the next book. I suggest having the next one ready for reading, because the cliffhanger at the end will drive you mad.