Humans Vs Zombies

All other off-topic discussions go in here.

What's your status regarding HvZ?

Poll ended at 19 Sep 2011, 14:29

I play it avidly.
No votes
I play it in moderation.
14%
I don't play it much.
7%
I don't play it anymore, though I used to.
No votes
I am planning on starting playing.
7%
I don't play it but have heard of it.
29%
I'd never heard of it before this thread...
43%

Total votes: 14

MrJKapowey

Humans Vs Zombies

Post by MrJKapowey » 12 Sep 2011, 14:29

Sooo...

Does anyone on this server play HvZ? Do any of you know of it's existance? I'm just wondering because over in America it seems to be far more widespread than here in good ol' Blighty where I've only heard of around 4 or 5 groups actively doing games.

For those who don't have any idea what I'm going on about, here are some links and a spoiler'd description...
Spoiler! :
Basically: zombies tag humans, humans shoot zombies with Nerf guns. Zombies respawn after a certain amount of time (usually a negligible fraction of the game length) whilst humans are converted to zombies at a touch. There are often missions to keep both sides busy (e.g. Protect the scientist as he works on a vaccine) and games go for greatly varying lengths of time (Some have had thousands of participants and have gone on for weeks, interspersed with normal Uni life. Others have 20-50 participants and run for a day at a chosen venue (some field)). This sounds comprehensive enough from memory...
A good video to show what it's like (Northampton HvZ):

The wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_vs_zombies
The game's Wikia page:
http://wiki.humansvszombies.org/index.php/Main_Page
The Youtube channel for the majority of the official HvZ Northampton videos (The first and largest UK HvZ game base):
http://www.youtube.com/user/AwesomeBrit ... svb3SMMdwQ

So, I'm currently one half of the HvZ High Wycombe 'leadership' (Those who have founded it, been to the most games and (thus far) been the only ones to volunteer to create and moderate games) and we're playing our first game later in the year after the first attempt sank without a trace (no interest) and I just wanted to knowhow many of you guys played this game. Also - Do you think it's either:

A - cool
B - nerdy, but fun
C - nerdy, and not fun
D - laughably nerdy and your views on me have been permenantly lowered to the 'mock you when I see you' level after finding out I play it.
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

Thanks to CaitxxSith on DeviantART for the free avatars.

ojamamask

Re: Humans Vs Zombies

Post by ojamamask » 12 Sep 2011, 14:36

B probably, I don't feel like doing something like this at this given time.

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 12 Sep 2011, 15:36

I heard about this but it was at a CQB airsoft range in New York also they have an official website http://humansvszombies.org/

Edit: Just watched the documentary and have picked what weapons i will use when i go to uni and if there isn't a group there i will change that as this looks like an awesome game to play so change my vote to 'something i plan on doing'
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 12 Sep 2011, 22:29

Looks interesting, but it would be much better with Airsoft guns. Nerf guns are just terribad.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 13 Sep 2011, 04:16

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Looks interesting, but it would be much better with Airsoft guns. Nerf guns are just terribad.
this
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 13 Sep 2011, 10:59

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Looks interesting, but it would be much better with Airsoft guns. Nerf guns are just terribad.
Why? Provide for me as many reasons why AS would be better than Nerf as you can. I'll come back in a bit with the counter since I'm supposed to be doing H/W atm...
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 13 Sep 2011, 11:11

Hi, I'm the other half of the High Wycombe leadership. The main problems with the use of Airsoft weaponry is that (while cool), it is prohibitively costly, cannot be played in public spaces due to safety issues and since a lot of it is replica weaponry, there could be issues with well meaning members of the public getting freaked out and calling the police.

Anyway, Nerf guns are pretty bad if (like some of the Northampton weapons) they leave bruises at 50 feet.
"My ship! My booty! My collection of autographed sextants! All gone!"
-Guybrush Threepwood
"I'm the pizza delivery dude! The dude with the food!"
-Pepper Roni

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 13 Sep 2011, 11:32

Goddamn, most of my arguments stolen from my mouth...
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 13 Sep 2011, 12:02

Also note that the video is an older one. Northampton regularly gets player numbers of around fifty, and while this may seem small, the numbers are steadily increasing. Of course, in America, where the game originated, there have even been games of 1000 participants as entire university campuses take part. Not sure whether or not High Wycombe will get that big though :P .
andy25100 wrote: Edit: Just watched the documentary and have picked what weapons i will use when i go to uni and if there isn't a group there i will change that as this looks like an awesome game to play so change my vote to 'something i plan on doing'
What weapons do you intend to use? If you are just starting I'd recommend the cheesily-named Alpha Trooper, as it combines rapid firing with a relatively compact size and low jam rate.
-Guybrush Threepwood
-Pepper Roni

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 13 Sep 2011, 12:37

B, certainly. Woot, NERF, etc.
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 13 Sep 2011, 14:13

Oh, also the British groups (to the best of my knowledge) play the home-grown Northampton ruleset. This differs from the typical American ruleset in that a game can be played over the space of a day, with quick-fire missions rather than the week-long American epics. These games are obviously easier to organise and more accessible, meaning we get more players :twisted:
-Guybrush Threepwood
-Pepper Roni

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 13 Sep 2011, 14:46

TyreseEngineer wrote:
andy25100 wrote: Edit: Just watched the documentary and have picked what weapons i will use when i go to uni and if there isn't a group there i will change that as this looks like an awesome game to play so change my vote to 'something i plan on doing'
What weapons do you intend to use? If you are just starting I'd recommend the cheesily-named Alpha Trooper, as it combines rapid firing with a relatively compact size and low jam rate.
I liked the look of the longshot but its not for a year at least as most of the people i know aren't interested in stuff like this :cry:
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 13 Sep 2011, 14:53

I would recommend Maverick as a starter weapon, it's light, fairly reliable (for me), and you can get good deals with two in quite a lot of places. If you want to spend big straight away, go for one of the magazine ones.
Or that's how I see it. But Tyrese knows much more about it than me.
I was a mod once

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 13 Sep 2011, 14:56

Lol, the NERF guns I've seen can't even shoot 50 feet. I guess the ones you guys get are built better.

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 13 Sep 2011, 14:59

It's a long way but you could always try and get to one of the other games in the UK (The Humans vs Zombies UK facebook group keeps a directory). Otherwise, just try asking- a load of people at my school didn't seem like the type of people who'd play, now some of them are coming to the High Wycombe game when it starts and one or two have come with us to a Winchester game.

Edit: Looking through the directory, the nearest game to York would be Leicester. Not ideal, and they play irregularly at best.

With regards to the Longshot, as an owner, I can say that they are fun to use due to the bolt-action style priming handle and front gun. However they are quite expensive and in terms of range they don't out-perform even the Nite Finder, which is the cheapest readily available blaster in the UK. It's definitely not a good one to start on.
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Lol, the NERF guns I've seen can't even shoot 50 feet. I guess the ones you guys get are built better.
This is only after their owners replaced springs and internal parts, even rebarreling them. No Nerf gun shoots like that out of the box. In any case, range isn't really a concern for HvZ- you tend to come across zombie "Ambushes" rather than long range firefights. And since they have to charge at you to tag you, something that can unload a lot of darts quickly will have a better chance of hitting them than one insanely powerful dart.
-Guybrush Threepwood
-Pepper Roni

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 13 Sep 2011, 15:21

looks like i'll have to wait but thanks for looking at it anyway.

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 14 Sep 2011, 10:10

:( Oh well, good things come to those who wait :P .
-Guybrush Threepwood
-Pepper Roni

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 14 Sep 2011, 10:18

unless you're waiting on the edge of a cliff, in the rain, with waves battering its base. for example.
I was a mod once

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 14 Sep 2011, 12:15

... and then the Coastguard Rescue Helicopter arrives after you wait for 30 terrifying minutes, ferrying you to safety!
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 14 Sep 2011, 12:28

and then you meet a beautiful (female or male, depending on preference) rescue man/woman, and live a long and fulfilling life with him/her. So you see, good things do come to those who wait.
:lol:
I was a mod once

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 15 Sep 2011, 01:08

Thus disproving your point...
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 15 Sep 2011, 16:15

It seems that its best to wait on cliffs then...
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 15 Sep 2011, 16:36

Well i think we've all learnt something special today

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 15 Sep 2011, 17:19

To ze cliffs!

Post by 697134002 » 15 Sep 2011, 17:24

Humans Vs Raptors would be a lot more fun. (By raptors, I mean Utahraptors, the stereotypical velociraptors of Jurassic Park)
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 16 Sep 2011, 01:31

Well now that I've seen the futility of pessimism, yay! Raptors!
I was a mod once