Curse the ceaseless march of technological progress!

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Curse the ceaseless march of technological progress!

Post by MKindy » 28 Aug 2011, 12:06

So, I'm selling my bike since my back won't allow me to ride it anymore. I was thinking of using the money from the sale to underwrite the purchase of a new laptop or netbook, but I can't find anything that has all the features I like.

The one I'm really eyeballing is the Asus EeePad Transformer, which is on special at Newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal ... mbo.718525 My friend bought this combo last month for the full price, so this is a decent discount. One plus is it's an Android tablet, so there's a large hacker community behind it. A large negative is the presence of only 1gb of DDR2 RAM. Another such negative is the capacitive touch screen; I don't know when stylii became the bane of tablet makers everywhere, but I blame Steve Jobs. :<

Whatever I do get is going to get some flavor of Linux slapped onto it. Asus makes some AMD-based netbooks as well, cheaper and more versatile than the Transformer, but also bigger, more of a power hog, lacking touch screens, and not modular. I'm pretty fond of Asus, as you might tell; they've been in the netbook game from the very beginning with their Eee PCs, the first batch running XP with a paltry 512mb RAM and an 8gb SSD.

I just don't wanna buy something then never use it, too. Arguably speaking, wherever I am that I need to work (home, school) there will be a desktop computer I have access to. :(

Anybody bought a laptop/netbook recently for under US$600 and been really impressed with it?

ojamamask

Re: Curse the ceaseless march of technological progress!

Post by ojamamask » 28 Aug 2011, 17:06

I haven't bought a laptop recently but my friend bought an asus K53TA-BBR6 which is apparently on sale at best buy (I'm not sure if it's over) for $450.
umm...
optimal CPU is 4x 2.3ghz
4gb ram
500gb HDD
has hdmi and vga out
HD6720g2 graphics with 1 gb dedicated memory

Dunno if it's what you want, but that's all I can find.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 29 Aug 2011, 19:58

Buy a present for that MrWhales guy, he is unappreciated.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 29 Aug 2011, 20:09

I'm currently using an HP Pavilion dv5 that I got for around $300. It came with a core i3 M380 @ 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, a 300 GB disk, and a load of useless HP crapware. Once I decrufted the thing it has been quite nice. I can get about 3 hours from the battery, and the display is much better than the Lenovo i previously used.
Which leads to this: