Brand New Computer!

All other off-topic discussions go in here.
xidontcarex

Brand New Computer!

Post by xidontcarex » 19 Aug 2011, 23:21

as some of you might still remember, my old pc broke down the other day, but instead of spending 100bucks replacing a powersupply which would have fixed the problem, my parents wanted me to get a brand new computer, so i was like hey, why not?

Price:900something
Processor:AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor 3.20GHz
Ram: 8gb
Video Card:ATI Radeon HD 6850
PowerSupply:700W
Haddrive: 1TB
System type: Windows 7 64bit

worth it? No? comments? :P
Last edited by xidontcarex on 19 Aug 2011, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Re: Brand New Computer!

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 19 Aug 2011, 23:22

No idea. I hate trying to make anything out of specs.

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 19 Aug 2011, 23:37

Heres the weird thing, i get lower FPS on mc than on my bro's computer, but yet my computer SHOULD be running faster than he is, as hes computer is only a quad core processor with 4gb ram while i have a hex core processor with 8gb ram o.o just dont really make sense to me...

Unless he has a better video card than me... but i dont think thats the case

Post by 697134002 » 19 Aug 2011, 23:38

I have one word for you:

Notch.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Post by MKindy » 20 Aug 2011, 01:47

You might be able to get a better deal if you have parts now that can go in your new machine. For instance, do you need a new hard drive, or do you have plenty of space on your current one? Do you need a case, or can you remove everything from your current computer and put new stuff in? Do you have a current Windows CD so that you don't have to re-purchase the OS, or can purchase an "upgrade" version at a reduced cost?

Newegg currently has a bundle with that same processor -- only thing it lacks is a video card, 4gb RAM, and a Windows key: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.719555 Amazingly, Windows and the video card by themselves, brand new, are about $360 total.

If you already have a hex core computer, and your parents are suggesting getting a new one, please ask them how much you can sell the old one for, I might be very interested in buying it. <3

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 20 Aug 2011, 09:07

Like Kindy said, only buying the parts you need will save you a ton of money.

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 20 Aug 2011, 14:03

if your brothers cores are faster then yours, his mc will run better. This is due to notch only coding so mc use's just one core. *Sadface*
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 20 Aug 2011, 15:32

I want your parents. Ive had to start a donation thing just to get £40 for a new cpu :'(
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 21 Aug 2011, 11:27

MKindy wrote:You might be able to get a better deal if you have parts now that can go in your new machine. For instance, do you need a new hard drive, or do you have plenty of space on your current one? Do you need a case, or can you remove everything from your current computer and put new stuff in? Do you have a current Windows CD so that you don't have to re-purchase the OS, or can purchase an "upgrade" version at a reduced cost?

Newegg currently has a bundle with that same processor -- only thing it lacks is a video card, 4gb RAM, and a Windows key: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.719555 Amazingly, Windows and the video card by themselves, brand new, are about $360 total.

If you already have a hex core computer, and your parents are suggesting getting a new one, please ask them how much you can sell the old one for, I might be very interested in buying it. <3
lol the specs shown above is the new computer which im currently using now, The old computer i had that broke down was very different, if i still remember the specs it was something like:

2.8GHz Dual core processor, 4gb ram, windows vista 32bit, ATI radeon 1650, the worst part, is that its HDD only had 70gb(This was my cousin's old computer that he didnt want) i had to throw in another 250gb HDD just to get my games downloaded lol

The only thing that broke down in my old computer was the powersupply, things literally melted in there, i coulda fixed it, but my parents said it was an old computer, so just get a new one...
Darktaint wrote:if your brothers cores are faster then yours, his mc will run better. This is due to notch only coding so mc use's just one core. *Sadface*
Im pretty sure its about the same speed, if speed is how much GHz it runs in, then yea both of ours is the same thing o.o i did find 1 that had 3.3GHz that could be boosted to 3.7GHz, but i didnt like the fact that it had no reviews, as i did buy this off of newegg.com

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 21 Aug 2011, 12:50

You already have 4GB ram, why not re-use them and just buy 4 more?

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 21 Aug 2011, 13:13

well, the computer came with 8gb o.o and i might fix up that old computer so i would have 2 computers lol

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 21 Aug 2011, 14:24

Wait you already bought the computer?

What's the point of this thread then?

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 21 Aug 2011, 14:44

xidontcarex wrote:well, the computer came with 8gb o.o and i might fix up that old computer so i would have 2 computers lol
How much would you take for the old computer? I'm interested in buying. :)

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 21 Aug 2011, 19:59

idk if im actually gonna sell it atm, ill have to think about that, XP ill get back to you on that 1

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 21 Aug 2011, 21:33

xidontcarex wrote:idk if im actually gonna sell it atm, ill have to think about that, XP ill get back to you on that 1
Ok :3

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 22 Aug 2011, 15:51

one question. can it run Arma 3?
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 22 Aug 2011, 16:07

Better question: can it run Crysis?
The original of course, we don't acknowledge what some of you think you may have seen earlier this year.

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 22 Aug 2011, 20:15

Aenir_bEPU wrote:Better question: can it run Crysis?
The original of course, we don't acknowledge what some of you think you may have seen earlier this year.
The original crysis 1 i can definitely run it, on highest quality too, i have a copy of it, and i already test it, Crysis 2 i have no idea as i dont have the game, wanna donate 60$ so i can test? :D
Byroe wrote:one question. can it run Arma 3?
never heard of the game, but pretty sure it can

Zehydra

Post by Zehydra » 22 Aug 2011, 20:21

xidontcarex wrote:Heres the weird thing, i get lower FPS on mc than on my bro's computer, but yet my computer SHOULD be running faster than he is, as hes computer is only a quad core processor with 4gb ram while i have a hex core processor with 8gb ram o.o just dont really make sense to me...

Unless he has a better video card than me... but i dont think thats the case

I've noticed that Video card quality is rather important if you want a good FPS with Minecraft. My cousin also got a new-ish laptop that was pretty good, except that he had a generic-out-of-blockbuster less than 1 G graphics card.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 22 Aug 2011, 20:24

xidontcarex wrote:
Aenir_bEPU wrote:Better question: can it run Crysis?
The original crysis 1 i can definitely run it, on highest quality too, i have a copy of it, and i already test it, Crysis 2 i have no idea as i dont have the game, wanna donate 60$ so i can test? :D
Crysis 2 does not exist.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 23 Aug 2011, 05:09

Crysis 1 is harder to run than Crysis 2.

that is all. :)

a better question is. how many Cats can it support in Dwarf Fortress without the framerate chugging? ;)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 23 Aug 2011, 08:44

vallorn wrote:Crysis 1 is harder to run than Crysis 2.

a better question is. how many Cats can it support in Dwarf Fortress without the framerate chugging? ;)
i would test that, but i have no idea what dwarf fortress is o.o

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 23 Aug 2011, 09:21

xidontcarex wrote:
vallorn wrote:Crysis 1 is harder to run than Crysis 2.

i would test that, but i have no idea what dwarf fortress is o.o
this cannot be allowed to continue! TO THE GOOGLEMOBILE! 8-)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 23 Aug 2011, 12:17

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 23 Aug 2011, 21:55

i dled it, and its sooo confusing to me, no idea whats going on, and dont think ima bother trying lol XP, maybe find other ways to test this computer's speed lol