RTS Gamers, are you there?

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Wildwill002

RTS Gamers, are you there?

Post by Wildwill002 » 28 Sep 2013, 19:16

I'm just making this to check if anyone here actually plays RTS (Real time strategy) games

It's my favourite genre but I never have anyone to play with that I know and those that do try it (I.e. Iron) seem to dislike it due to inexperience

So, if anyones an RTS gamer, please do say so and say your favourite RTS while you're at it. Mines Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (Although I hope to change that when Planetary Annihilation comes out)
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Re: RTS Gamers, are you there?

Post by Invunarble » 28 Sep 2013, 20:59

I usually am a big fan of the Total War series (only own ETW, as I used to play NTW and Shogun at a friend's house) and Civ 4 & 5. On console I play a fair bit of Tropico 4, and prior to all this I was into the C&C series a fair bit (I still have my RA/Tiberian Wars/Generals bundle disc somewhere... soommmewheerrree... >_>).

I'll also probably be buying the PA beta in a few weeks once I put more money onto my PayPal account (slow Canadian bank transfers are slow), so feel free to hit me up if any of you guys have these games. :D
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

minnerthecat
Retired

Post by minnerthecat » 29 Sep 2013, 00:17

I would have to say that RTS is my favourite genre as well. As for favourite games, probably Age of Empires II, Age of Mythology, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 1 and 2 and Battle for Middle Earth. I could probably go on forever on all the fantastic RTS games out there, so I'll spare you all from my rambling :P
Orange and white, but not quite right.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 29 Sep 2013, 02:55

Currently playing the new Company of Heroes game. Love the Total War games, Dawn of War (probably 2 more than 1 due to less frustration) and World in Conflict, which I once could even be arsed to write a review of.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 29 Sep 2013, 05:45

My RTS playing is severely hampered by this laptop being a great big heap of poop. That said, I used to play the hell out of a few RTS games because I couldn't afford to buy any new games, especially Red Alert 2 and Medieval: Total War II. I've got Empire: Total War, but I've barely played it because it runs pretty slowly.

Annoyingly though, now I have the money to afford loads of new games, I don't have the time to play them. I've been meaning to play Dawn of War since it came out!
WWTDD

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 29 Sep 2013, 08:08

SMWasder wrote:My RTS playing is severely hampered by this laptop being a great big heap of poop. That said, I used to play the hell out of a few RTS games because I couldn't afford to buy any new games, especially Red Alert 2 and Medieval: Total War II. I've got Empire: Total War, but I've barely played it because it runs pretty slowly.

Annoyingly though, now I have the money to afford loads of new games, I don't have the time to play them. I've been meaning to play Dawn of War since it came out!
Sins of a solar empire : rebellion seems to be able to play on absolutely anything, I had it on mmy old laptop and that thing couldn't even run minecraft at more than 20 fps
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

random980

Post by random980 » 29 Sep 2013, 13:24

I have Age of Empires 3 with both expansions, spend hours on that game.
Well i used to, until i left the game disc in my laptop when it went to get fixed and it came back with the disk missing...
Although i'm thoroughly enjoying Civ 5 gold edition. Most happy i've been with a game purchase in a long time.

Also i recently found a "legit" AOE2 Gold edition on an old USB. I've played AOE2 like once and it feels very different from AOE3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 29 Sep 2013, 13:38

Love RTS games, and I play quite a bit of a modded version of DoW: Soulstorm. I also have Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts, and Supreme Commader but haven't actually installed or played them yet.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 29 Sep 2013, 13:51

If anyone would like a Supreme commander match (1, FA or 2) I'm up for it. Just gimme a weekend and I'm there
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 29 Sep 2013, 17:45

Wildwill002 wrote:
SMWasder wrote:My RTS playing is severely hampered by this laptop being a great big heap of poop. That said, I used to play the hell out of a few RTS games because I couldn't afford to buy any new games, especially Red Alert 2 and Medieval: Total War II. I've got Empire: Total War, but I've barely played it because it runs pretty slowly.

Sins of a solar empire : rebellion seems to be able to play on absolutely anything, I had it on mmy old laptop and that thing couldn't even run minecraft at more than 20 fps

Hurm... I'll have to give it a looksie.

And I forgot to mention, a shitload of Civ IV/V.Although isn't Civ a TBS?
WWTDD

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 02 Oct 2013, 07:38

In terms of multiplayer RTS, mostly Starcraft 2. Although I'm almost always willing to go for some Men of War: Assault Squad.

And I really wouldn't classify Civ as RTS...because turn-based is not real time -_-;

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 06 Oct 2013, 19:09

Anyone have some older RTS' they enjoy(ed) I.e. 10+ years old

Personal favourite is Age of Mythology. Still love it today
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

minnerthecat
Retired

Post by minnerthecat » 06 Oct 2013, 22:56

Age of myth and age 2 were probably my two favorite RTS's of all time!
Orange and white, but not quite right.

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 07 Oct 2013, 01:39

kajcvsbmnj Halo Worz is best RTS cus et so realismic.

I played Starcraft 2 once at my cousin's and loved it, since I've never really got into the genre. :/
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

sgtwisky
Retired

Post by sgtwisky » 11 May 2014, 18:03

Love me some RTS games. I've played AOE 1 + 2, RA 2, SC 1 + 2, Midevil Total War and Roam total war, AOM, WC3 (mostly custom maps) and a bunch of other CnC games. Also have supreme commander but never got into it.

As for my fav? I will have to say AOE 1 with its expansion. I may be biased just because it was the first RTS I ever played but I love it. Though I REALLY like the gates from AOE 2 lol.

My only issue with RTS games is that I am not very good vs human opponents. I die too fast.
Opportunity knocks but once, Temptation leans on the door bell.

The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.

Josh349
Site Contributor

Post by Josh349 » 12 May 2014, 04:19

sgtwisky wrote:Love me some RTS games. I've played AOE 1 + 2, RA 2, SC 1 + 2, Midevil Total War and Roam total war, AOM, WC3 (mostly custom maps) and a bunch of other CnC games. Also have supreme commander but never got into it.

As for my fav? I will have to say AOE 1 with its expansion. I may be biased just because it was the first RTS I ever played but I love it. Though I REALLY like the gates from AOE 2 lol.

My only issue with RTS games is that I am not very good vs human opponents. I die too fast.
AOE 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. I recently discovered a cool mod for it (Tales of Middle-Earth) making everything from Lord of the Rings in AoE, the graphics are awesome.
I remember getting AoE 1 w/ expansion for Christmas one year; never really got into that as much as AoE2.