Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Post by SneakyPie » 15 Jun 2012, 08:20

They finally released the first trailer for it. If you've never played the first Amnesia game, it's currently available on Steam here. Well worth the money and easily the scariest game in existence.

Tehbeard

Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Post by Tehbeard » 03 Jul 2012, 15:37

Maykxor
Site Contributor

Post by Maykxor » 03 Jul 2012, 18:50

Alright... I know some think it's scary but... I really didn't think Amnesia was scary at all.. There was maybe 2 parts but other than that. It was pretty easy to avoid the beasties.
Some people think in pictures, others think in words. I think in pictures with subtitles.
Quotes from cool people I've met over the years:
sobamushi "Maykxor your avatar makes me wanna dance ._.! "
MissKatieKillU: "WHAT THE F***ING F*** IS GOING ON IN MY F***ING ROLEPLAY?"
"I think you may have problems, my friend."
Sole ScuroThis: "This is the part where you scream sexual slurs in my face and I belt you."

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 03 Jul 2012, 21:23

Tehbeard wrote:Image
Basically this.
But I'll be getting it anyway. (:

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 03 Jul 2012, 22:39

I'll be watching Tobuscus play it, but will never play it myself.

On a random tangent, I've noticed with horror games, the more "hard" it is, the less scary it becomes, y'know? If you constantly are dying, for instance, you are no longer scared OF dying, as you know that it's not at all scary. It's the anticipation of being scared that is the scary part. The reason I bring this up is because Amnesia doesn't seem all that hard of a game, and yet seems scarier because of it.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 03 Jul 2012, 23:03

Dead Space was hard as hell (for me at least, I suck at it) and it still scared the crap out of me. :lol:
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 03 Jul 2012, 23:25

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Dead Space was hard as hell (for me at least, I suck at it) and it still scared the crap out of me. :lol:
Jump scares, and slow, creeping uneasiness building as you play a game are completely different things. The latter is what I was talking about, I guess. If you are immersed into the game more, dying, even though it's what you're afraid of happening, reminds you that you're playing a video game. Dead Space, to me, is all just jump scares. It's easy to scare people by jumping out and yelling "BOO!" Doesn't make it frightening.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 03 Jul 2012, 23:29

Yes, everything I played of Dead Space was jump scares. I'm more susceptible to them than a lot of people but I wouldn't consider Dead Space a scary game.

I only played the demo of the first Amnesia and I don't think I ever came across any of the nasties (or at least, when I thought I was near one I soon exited), but boy did that game nail the atmosphere of apprehension of said nasties.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 03 Jul 2012, 23:41

It's the suspense in Amnesia that kills you - seldom do you ever come across a threat, but as you become more cautious and take less risks (lighting fewer candles, etc.), Daniel's descent into insanity serves to further your fears. It's very well done, in my opinion.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 04 Jul 2012, 05:57

furdabip wrote:
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Dead Space was hard as hell (for me at least, I suck at it) and it still scared the crap out of me. :lol:
Jump scares, and slow, creeping uneasiness building as you play a game are completely different things. The latter is what I was talking about, I guess. If you are immersed into the game more, dying, even though it's what you're afraid of happening, reminds you that you're playing a video game. Dead Space, to me, is all just jump scares. It's easy to scare people by jumping out and yelling "BOO!" Doesn't make it frightening.
I was always worrying about where the next alien was gonna come from. Then again, I also panic in shooters when I'm trying to sneak up on someone and hope I don't get spotted. XD

OT: I probably won't be getting this game. Never been a fan of the puzzle genre.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Maykxor
Site Contributor

Post by Maykxor » 04 Jul 2012, 10:21

I admit, it was a very well done and thought out game, and I actually liked it. Just to me personally it wasn't that bad. But it *was* a great game. I dunno, I just watched videos of Tobuscus playing it and realized i just wasn't getting scared when I was supposed to. XD I Would just say, 'hmmm yes, quite... interesting.' and move on.
Some people think in pictures, others think in words. I think in pictures with subtitles.
Quotes from cool people I've met over the years:
sobamushi "Maykxor your avatar makes me wanna dance ._.! "
MissKatieKillU: "WHAT THE F***ING F*** IS GOING ON IN MY F***ING ROLEPLAY?"
"I think you may have problems, my friend."
Sole ScuroThis: "This is the part where you scream sexual slurs in my face and I belt you."