First Game?

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Bauldor

First Game?

Post by Bauldor » 24 Dec 2010, 08:08

Hey guys. Just wondering what ya'lls first game was. Was it good, bad, have you finished etc. Mine was baldur's gate, which as you can see my name is derived from. Because it was freaking awesome. 8-)
" In Soviet Russia, the lie is a cake! "

mydrox

Re: First Game?

Post by mydrox » 24 Dec 2010, 08:34

Mine would have been The Game of Robot (a german game), Sokoban, Tetris or Blockout. I can't really remember.

XDelphi

Post by XDelphi » 24 Dec 2010, 08:48

Final Fantasy VII On the PS1 :D Brill game. When I first completed it I was (I think) 5 years of age :lol:
Meet the Staff | Worlds Apart | The Imperial City | Server & Forum Rules | The Store
"What are the odds of two elusive pastries?" - MKindy on his theory of conspiracy

Buchal

Post by Buchal » 24 Dec 2010, 08:52

I can't really remember my first. It was either Mario Paint, Mario Kart (both NES) or The Lion King for the Sega Megadrive.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 24 Dec 2010, 09:19

Buchal wrote:I can't really remember my first. It was either Mario Paint, Mario Kart (both NES) or The Lion King for the Sega Megadrive.
Sorry, I have to fix something here, Super Mario Cart and Mario Paint were both on the Snes, was never on the NES.

And as far as my first game is, I am positive it was the "Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt" Combo for the NES.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 24 Dec 2010, 10:09

I think it was Prince of Persia on the NES/SNES (I can't remember which, I just know it was white).

The games that got me gaming properly were Crash and Spyro on the PS1. :)

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 24 Dec 2010, 10:48

Oh, dear god. How far back do I have to go to figure this one out? I can't remember the first game I played, but I do know it was on the Mattel Intellivision. Go ahead and look that one up. I'll wait.

God, I feel so old now.

Playeroftau

Post by Playeroftau » 24 Dec 2010, 11:03

My first game was... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! Looked so awesome when I was younger, even if I got rocked every match.

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 24 Dec 2010, 12:36

I don't recall the title of my first game... It was either some desert town, cactus themed thing for the TI-99/4A, or something for the Atari. I honestly don't recall which came first.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

comet1

Post by comet1 » 24 Dec 2010, 15:23

Atari racecar or original mario they both sucked
Comet isnt that bad a guy he gives out free gold and kills greifers - random player
I never killed no greifer - comet1

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 24 Dec 2010, 16:17

Not my first, but certainly the one I have the fondest memory of.

But my actual first one:

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 24 Dec 2010, 16:41

Hmm... The first I remember... I think... Was Donkey Kong.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 24 Dec 2010, 21:09

I think my first was a Atari game. But one of my favorite childhood games is Shinig Force. By far one of the most fun games I've played. And even after 11 years I haven't managed to beat it. It's hard...
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 29 Dec 2010, 17:13

First proper one I remember was Road Trip Adventure.

Pretty sure I played others before then, but Road Trip Adventure is the one I remember fondly. I spent hours playing that game, to the point where I had almost completed the MyCity, had both teammates fully upgraded (which cost ingame around a 800,000 each), had collected every coin and had my character (a car) so badass it beat the crap out of my brothers save every time he challenged me to a race.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Dec 2010, 18:33

Wild 9. i bet noones heard of it but IT WAS AWESOME!. (Go Arm Laser/Telekinesis! CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH)

well. that and MDK were the only games i can remember from that time... god i wish i could find a PS2/3 version of MDK2.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 30 Dec 2010, 04:49

Milo Windby wrote:And as far as my first game is, I am positive it was the "Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt" Combo for the NES.
This is the first I can recall. Which is so weird because I live in Europe and never owned an NES (or SNES for that matter). I'm trying to work out what I played it on...

Does anyone else fell kind of sad that our kids "low bar" for gaming will be somewhere crysis 2 is, wheres ours is pong?
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Dec 2010, 05:15

itbarany wrote:
Milo Windby wrote:And as far as my first game is, I am positive it was the "Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt" Combo for the NES.
This is the first I can recall. Which is so weird because I live in Europe and never owned an NES (or SNES for that matter). I'm trying to work out what I played it on...

Does anyone else fell kind of sad that our kids "low bar" for gaming will be somewhere crysis 2 is, wheres ours is pong?
i dont. Pong was fun!i feel sad that thier bar will probably be CoD'X':modern money printer.

we should prevent our kids from owning current gen consoles and make em play the PS1/PS2/whatever classics.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

junkmanuk

Post by junkmanuk » 30 Dec 2010, 09:28

Pimania... on the ZX81
Pimania_in-game_screenshot_(ZX81_version).png

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 30 Dec 2010, 12:06

vallorn wrote:i dont. Pong was fun!i feel sad that thier bar will probably be CoD'X':modern money printer.

we should prevent our kids from owning current gen consoles and make em play the PS1/PS2/whatever classics.
That would be like downloading and storing all pokemon seasons on a hard drive and when your kid is born feed it to him/her in the same 2 episode/3 times a week period you've seen it, so your kid can go through the same dumb s*** passion you shared when you were 8...

I don't mind the high end graphics and whatnot will be lowest for them. I simply think they will miss out a lot of interesting game ideas/innovations/milestones.
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 30 Dec 2010, 13:59

vallorn wrote:i dont. Pong was fun!i feel sad that thier bar will probably be CoD'X':modern money printer.

That view is mainly driven by nostalgia.

Nobody in their right minds nowadays would rather play pong than a shiny modern-gen game, given the choice.

And... he's wonderful."

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 30 Dec 2010, 14:07

DuplicateValue wrote:Nobody in their right minds nowadays would rather play pong than a shiny modern-gen game, given the choice.
Well, I don't play pong, but i really like to play the good old games. Those shiny modern-gen games may look good, but often there is no good game(story) behind the shiny graphics because there is no money left after the graphic has been finished.

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 30 Dec 2010, 14:11

mydrox wrote:
DuplicateValue wrote:Nobody in their right minds nowadays would rather play pong than a shiny modern-gen game, given the choice.
Well, I don't play pong, but i really like to play the good old games. Those shiny modern-gen games may look good, but often there is no good game(story) behind the shiny graphics because there is no money left after the graphic has been finished.
Well there's not very much story to be found in Pong or Tetris either. :P

Sure I think everyone should play classics (like, say, FFVII or the Zelda games), but that doesn't mean they should live in the past. Play them out of curiosity, enjoy them, but don't fall behind.

And... he's wonderful."

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Dec 2010, 14:21

DuplicateValue wrote:
mydrox wrote:
Well there's not very much story to be found in Pong or Tetris either. :P

Sure I think everyone should play classics (like, say, FFVII or the Zelda games), but that doesn't mean they should live in the past. Play them out of curiosity, enjoy them, but don't fall behind.
no story in tetris?
may i direct your attention to this:
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Sturmdolch

Post by Sturmdolch » 31 Dec 2010, 14:56

This I think. And Sierra's Mother Goose. I also got a Gameboy Pocket when I was very young with Super Mario Land, Wario Land, Terminator, and Donkey Kong but I didn't play it much because I never knew how.

The first games I really played were Lego Island and Lego Rock Raiders.

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 11 Jan 2011, 22:03

My first game was Medal of Honor (the very first one) For the PS1.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 12 Jan 2011, 01:58

I dont roll with the old school NES boys, but mine was..

What a game...

thonnas_hp

Post by thonnas_hp » 12 Jan 2011, 03:05

Very first would have been either Jungle King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xSPVr9lzuk)
or Tron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz3A_vNibEI)

I was a wee runt of a human when they arrived, but I know became somewhat of a master (as I got to play them for free, when the restaurant was closed).

At home, I'm pretty sure it was Pitfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXMYw1lXY0)
but Pole Position (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdXNpEUT54o) holds a key position in my memory.

Then the NES came out and changed everything.

Interesting story: After Super Mario Bros. 3 came out, and I had learned all the tricks from my (at that point) lifetime subscription to Nintendo Power, I met the family of a Japanese guy my dad worked with. The kids asked if I wanted to play video games and I was like "hell yeah," (but probably not in those words) thinking I'd be awesome and maybe show them some cool trick (like the whistle or extra bonus areas or something). They broke out this weird looking system with rounded controllers and was like "wtf." (again, not likely those words) It was a Super Famicom (what eventually became the Super Nintendo). Me = mind... blown. They moved back to Japan like a month later and I was stuck in 16 bit land for the next couple years. :(

As far as computer games, my friend introduced me to Myst and Colonization on his dad's Mac. That's when things really got bad.

I still play Colonization on occasion. I set up a virtual machine just for it and Civ2 and 3, though, now that I'm thinking about all the good old games, I may have to setup some others.

Hi, my name is Tom, and I'm a game-aholic.
I've gotta funny feelin' that my times are caught in a jar.
Thonnas_HP, aka |:|Falcon|:| (steamid: paxbrevis)

Turbo_Turban

Post by Turbo_Turban » 12 Jan 2011, 20:35

Mine was the pokémans, but my first game of any real substance beyond rampant animal abuse was the excellent Planescape Torment.

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 13 Jan 2011, 10:26

Super mario bro's for the Snes I'm not far behind you oldies ;D
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 15 Jan 2011, 22:39

Milo Windby wrote:
Buchal wrote:I can't really remember my first. It was either Mario Paint, Mario Kart (both NES) or The Lion King for the Sega Megadrive.
Sorry, I have to fix something here, Super Mario Cart and Mario Paint were both on the Snes, was never on the NES.

And as far as my first game is, I am positive it was the "Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt" Combo for the NES.
I believe my first game was the same. Still play it too. My first portable game was Pokemon Crystal.