My Laptop and Skyrim

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
SMWasder
Retired

My Laptop and Skyrim

Post by SMWasder » 08 Dec 2011, 13:58

Being the sane person I am, I want to get Skyrim. Unfortunately Can You Run It is telling me my laptop won't run Skyrim, but then again, it also says it won't run Oblivion, which I happily play at medium settings with about 100 mods installed too. My laptop is a Sony Vaio EB4L1E, it's fairly new.
Spoiler! :
This is apparently where it fails... but it meets all of the requirements.

So, does anyone who actually knows what they're talking about have any idea if my laptop will run Skyrim? Or will I need to buy it for my crappy 360. :cry:
WWTDD

Milo_Windby
Retired

Re: My Laptop and Skyrim

Post by Milo_Windby » 08 Dec 2011, 14:14

I have it for my 360 and I am very happy with it.
Just be glad you don't have to get it for the PS3... the PS3 ver has a major glitch that has to do with save file size... the bigger it gets the more laggy the game gets and they say they don't think they can fix this glitch for the PS3 ver at all.
Just to be clear... I am not insulting the PS3 or Skyrim on the PS3 or in fact anyone or anything... I am going to be getting a PS3 at some point but I just think it kind of sucks that this glitch may not get fixed.

As for the graphics card thing... I'm not an expert either ;_; sorry...
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 08 Dec 2011, 14:19

My 360 refuses to connect to the internet of any kind/we don't have XBL, so any patches or DLC I won't be able to get. Plus I'd rather not keep being booted off every time someone else wants to use the tv. If it turns out I can't use my laptop, I'll settle for it.
WWTDD

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 08 Dec 2011, 14:20

I tend to ignore that "Can you run it" thing. It said I wouldn't be able to run New Vegas, which actually runs smoother than a lot of my games. I expect to have to turn down some settings for Skyrim, but I don't think it'd be a bother.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 08 Dec 2011, 14:26

Milo_Windby wrote: Just be glad you don't have to get it for the PS3... the PS3 ver has a major glitch that has to do with save file size... the bigger it gets the more laggy the game gets and they say they don't think they can fix this glitch for the PS3 ver at all.
I'm pretty sure that memory issue is in all versions of the game. The PS3 just suffers the worst because it's RAM is split into 2x 256mb vs the xbox's unified 512mb.

It's hard to say whether it'll run or not, laptops aren't really meant for gaming. I've found Skyrim to be quite a bit more demanding than Oblivion, at least on the highest settings, I don't know how well it scales.
The staff here are all trolls

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 08 Dec 2011, 14:27

Jake55778 wrote:
Milo_Windby wrote: Just be glad you don't have to get it for the PS3... the PS3 ver has a major glitch that has to do with save file size... the bigger it gets the more laggy the game gets and they say they don't think they can fix this glitch for the PS3 ver at all.
I'm pretty sure that memory issue is in all versions of the game. The PS3 just suffers the worst because it's RAM is split into 2x 256mb vs the xbox's unified 512mb.

It's hard to say whether it'll run or not, laptops aren't really meant for gaming. I've found Skyrim to be quite a bit more demanding than Oblivion, at least on the highest settings, I don't know how well it scales.
Not for my game it does not... I've had no lag with my save files or games with Skyrim on 360 and I have only... Only... Heard about this for the PS3 and not for the 360.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 08 Dec 2011, 18:59

The issue does affect all 3 platforms, it's just most prominent in the PS3.
The PS3 splits its 512MB RAM between graphics and memory evenly. The Xbox 360 also has 512MB RAM as well but it's used as needed rather than being forced into two 256MB chunks. And the average PC just has way more RAM regardless so it doesn't matter.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ms-PS3-Lag

Of course, this guy says the above guy is wrong, but he also doesn't say what might actually be causing the lag.

OT: It seems your graphics card should be good enough to run Skyrim. The minimum requirement for graphics card is 1 GB so you should be fine at 1.7 GB.

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 08 Dec 2011, 19:48

Aenir_bEPU wrote: OT: It seems your graphics card should be good enough to run Skyrim. The minimum requirement for graphics card is 1 GB so you should be fine at 1.7 GB.
Take that figure with a gain of salt. It says I have 4GB of available video ram, when I know for a fact my card only has 1GB.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 08 Dec 2011, 19:53

Jake55778 wrote:
Aenir_bEPU wrote: OT: It seems your graphics card should be good enough to run Skyrim. The minimum requirement for graphics card is 1 GB so you should be fine at 1.7 GB.
Take that figure with a gain of salt. It says I have 4GB of available video ram, when I know for a fact my card only has 1GB.
I don't know what's saying that you have 4 GB of video ram, but I did some searching for the specifications of his laptop, and the video memory matched up with what he had in his OP; 1.7GB

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 08 Dec 2011, 20:12

The figure it gives is the total available memory. Which is your physical memory + your shared system memory. Basically it takes a portion of your system RAM and adds it to your video RAM, giving it a boost. This can be misleading, since a computer with a poor GPU but a lot of RAM will seem more powerful than it actually is. The system requirements it's measuring against are also usually measured in physical memory. So if your total available memory is 1.7GB, but your physical memory is only say 256mb then you'd fail to meet the minimum requirements.

It could be perfectly accurate, I'm just saying take it with a grain of salt.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 09 Dec 2011, 15:27

IIRC the laptop had 4GB of RAM and 1.7GB of video RAM so it should be fine.