NationStates

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Re: NationStates

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 20 Oct 2011, 07:51

Yeah, but you can only have one join the World Assembly.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 20 Oct 2011, 13:29

I've got this issue. Following a tragic double-murder, capital punishment has surged as an election issue. There now appears a real possibility that right-wing candidate Sue-Ann Wong, running on a "Do the Crime, pay the Penalty" platform, will gain power. While society's intelligentsia is outraged, debate rages as to whether the government should intervene.

Unsure what to do. For now i chose to let it happen as I am a democracy but im not too sure...
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

random980

Post by random980 » 21 Oct 2011, 00:42

Wildwill002 wrote:I've got this issue. Following a tragic double-murder, capital punishment has surged as an election issue. There now appears a real possibility that right-wing candidate Sue-Ann Wong, running on a "Do the Crime, pay the Penalty" platform, will gain power. While society's intelligentsia is outraged, debate rages as to whether the government should intervene.

Unsure what to do. For now i chose to let it happen as I am a democracy but im not too sure...
As the government you still hold authority over them, you need to remind them that there is a line even in freedom, and capitol punishment crosses said line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 21 Oct 2011, 01:47

random980 wrote: As the government you still hold authority over them, you need to remind them that there is a line even in freedom, and capitol punishment crosses said line.
Only if it's extra-judicial, "judicial" in this case meaning "government-approved" rather than anything involving the actual judiciary. That's why my country wins at life.

Fuzz422365117

Post by Fuzz422365117 » 21 Oct 2011, 10:30

The Armed Republic of Fuzzville:
Spoiler! :
The Armed Republic of Fuzzville is a fledgling, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its complete lack of prisons. Its compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 5 million enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.

The medium-sized government devotes most of its attentions to Social Welfare, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 21%. A large private sector is led by the Information Technology industry, followed by Woodchip Exports and Arms Manufacturing.

Crime is moderate, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Fuzzville's national animal is the Koala Bear, and its currency is the FC.

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 21 Oct 2011, 13:34

The Federal Republic of Shouty Men
Spoiler! :
The Federal Republic of Shouty Men is a fledgling, environmentally stunning nation, renowned for its burgeoning Shouty Person population. Its hard-nosed, intelligent population of 5 million love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.

The enormous, corrupt, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Social Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 38%, but much higher for the wealthy. A very small private sector is dominated by the Automobile Manufacturing industry.

Crime is totally unknown. Shouty Men's national animal is the Shouty Person, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Pounds Shouting.
Yeah, I was the narwhal one, but that monged up and now it's defunct...
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

Thanks to CaitxxSith on DeviantART for the free avatars.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 21 Oct 2011, 13:41

Aenir_bEPU wrote:Yeah, but you can only have one join the World Assembly.
That's okay. I rather doubt Pottsylvania would be a good member, and they don't give a wet slap about them outsiders anyway.
Which leads to this:

Post by 697134002 » 21 Oct 2011, 14:11

Fuzz422365117 wrote:The Armed Republic of Fuzzville:
Spoiler! :
The Armed Republic of Fuzzville is a fledgling, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its complete lack of prisons. Its compassionate, hard-working, intelligent population of 5 million enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.

The medium-sized government devotes most of its attentions to Social Welfare, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 21%. A large private sector is led by the Information Technology industry, followed by Woodchip Exports and Arms Manufacturing.

Crime is moderate, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Fuzzville's national animal is the Koala Bear, and its currency is the FC.
Koalas are not bears. Their closest relatives are wombats.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Fuzz422365117

Post by Fuzz422365117 » 21 Oct 2011, 14:40

697134002 wrote:
Fuzz422365117 wrote:The Armed Republic of Fuzzville:
Spoiler! :

Koalas are not bears. Their closest relatives are wombats.
Aren't they called Koala Bears tho? :? :cry:

Post by 697134002 » 21 Oct 2011, 15:03

Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 21 Oct 2011, 15:17

Although the koala is not a bear, English-speaking settlers from the late 18th century first called it koala bear due to its similarity in appearance to bears. Although taxonomically incorrect, the name koala bear is still in use today outside Australia[5] – its use is discouraged because of the inaccuracy in the name.[6][7][8][9][10] Other descriptive English names based on "bear" have included monkey bear, native bear, and tree-bear. ~ From the wiki Page.

Yes, ok... Its not a bear... but its still called a bear by various people outside of Australia.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 21 Oct 2011, 15:32

Crazy Australians.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 21 Oct 2011, 15:43

Somehow my national animal is also a large portion of my population. Oh and if your rich, your taxed 100% on top of a meat tax
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 25 Oct 2011, 04:59

Aw, my nation is last in its region for "Most Politically Free". Ah well, time to increase spending on police.

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 25 Oct 2011, 06:25

"Frankly, I don't see why we need to have elections at all," says your brother, Chloe Longbottom
What? My brother is called Chloe Longbottom... what is wrong with my family? :?
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 25 Oct 2011, 09:05

Lolask him about Nevil :) also I have one and I an trying to make it into fenris it is called Fenrys.The Empire of Fenrys is a tiny, environmentally stunning nation, renowned for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed population of 8 million are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

The medium-sized, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Law & Order, Commerce, and Social Equality. The average income tax rate is 25%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is led by the Door-to-door Insurance Sales industry, followed by Automobile Manufacturing and Cheese Exports.

TV shows must meet strict ethnicity quotas, the government is reining in public spending, euthanasia is legal, and scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes. Crime is a problem. Fenrys's national animal is the Fenrisian wolves, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Wulfens.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 25 Oct 2011, 15:44

I'll put my new description of my nation on tomorrow, when the legislation to ban all cars has gone through
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 25 Oct 2011, 15:55

i have achieved my dream.
nationstates economy 1.png
Spoiler! :
Sheldon Me Gusta.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 25 Oct 2011, 16:46

vallorn wrote:i have achieved my dream.
nationstates economy 1.png
Spoiler! :
Sheldon Me Gusta.jpg
My economy had been 100% private sector until I think yesterday. I was annoyed.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 25 Oct 2011, 16:55

Yea mines 100% public. All them ten year olds selling lemonade. Lets see them get to work without cars
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 25 Oct 2011, 17:44

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

The_Fuzz22

Post by The_Fuzz22 » 25 Oct 2011, 18:13

Yeah I've had one of these for ages.
Spoiler! :
The Empire of Jonnyland is a massive, economically powerful nation, ruled by Jonny Vaughan with a fair hand, and renowned for its national health service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working population of 3.042 billion have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it is mainly concerned with Education, although Healthcare and the Environment are on the agenda. It meets every day to discuss matters of state in the capital city of The Statue Complex. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 30%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Information Technology industry.

Thousands of former welfare recipients are in a revolutionary uproar as the rest of society is enjoying a hefty tax break, space research funding has hit a recent high while several military bases are being closed down, a nation-wide cull of tree frogs is in effect, and female newsreaders distract the nation by breastfeeding during broadcast. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Jonny-land's national animal is the tree frog, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Solo.
Shouting "teabag him" during any death-scene in Saving Private Ryan is a practice generally frowned upon.
My Thoughts on How Crap the World is
My Music

hobohazard

Post by hobohazard » 26 Oct 2011, 13:28

why you do this to me?
Spoiler! :
The Borderlands of ROFL Town is a fledgling, socially progressive nation, notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working population of 5 million are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.

The minute government, or what there is of one, juggles the competing demands of Commerce, Law & Order, and Social Welfare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 10%. A small but healthy private sector is led by the Gambling industry, followed by Furniture Restoration and Cheese Exports.

Crime is a serious problem. ROFL Town's national animal is the CHEZBURGUR CAT, and its currency is the CHEZBURGUR.
the adventure update in a nutshell
Creeper: Can i come in
Player: Nope
Creeper: Herobrine's Outside
Player: OMG GET IN
Herobrine: PLZ LET ME IN
Player: not you this time
Herobrine: But Enderman Is chasing me
PLayer: HOLY CRAP GET IN
Enderman: please with A diamond on top let me in
Everyone: NO
Enderman: But its going to be Day
PLayer: OH CRAP WHAT A WIMP

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 27 Oct 2011, 04:38

Over a shortish time this happened
The Holy Empire of Gaiaxica is a small, socially progressive nation, renowned for its absence of drug laws. Its compassionate, cynical population of 20 million are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, socially-minded government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Welfare, and Religion & Spirituality. The average income tax rate is 43%, but much higher for the wealthy. The private sector is almost wholly made up of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, although the government is looking at stamping this out.

A large-scale revitalization of the education system is underway, cars are banned, reporters often lose their jobs over fact-checking errors, and the government funds large training centres to turn Zebras into functioning members of society. Crime is totally unknown. Gaiaxica's national animal is the Zebra, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Gaiat.
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 03 Nov 2011, 23:51

I'm truly stumped. I can't decide! HALP!

The issue:
As you very well know, a masked stranger with a pistol made an attempt on your life but moments ago while you were out on your lunch break. An emergency meeting has been called right here in the middle of the street after the would-be assassin disappeared over a nearby grassy knoll.
Option #2:
"What makes you think it's a member of the general public behind this?" asks your Head of Security, Pete Obama. "It's more likely to be the work of some underground separatist group trying to remove you from power! We've let them have their protests and their rallies and their free speech, and now they've taken it to the next level! We should be cracking down on this insolence instead of rewarding it! Show the people what happens to those who dare to question your authority. You've got to remind them that you, Leader, are their Lord and Master!"
Option #4:
"Hah! Like that will work!" snorts Tobias Strange, Minister of Waste Disposal and Sanitation. "They'll just come after the rest of us and destroy the government from the bottom up! No, we need to go even further - reinforce the Parliament! We'll turn BEPU City into an impenetrable fortress! Robot bodyguards, food tasters... no expense should be spared! We should all do our jobs through a complex network of computers so we never have to leave the safety of our offices again!"
They're both so good...

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 04 Nov 2011, 00:11

Aenir_bEPU wrote:I'm truly stumped. I can't decide! HALP!
Spoiler! :
The issue:
As you very well know, a masked stranger with a pistol made an attempt on your life but moments ago while you were out on your lunch break. An emergency meeting has been called right here in the middle of the street after the would-be assassin disappeared over a nearby grassy knoll.
Option #2:
"What makes you think it's a member of the general public behind this?" asks your Head of Security, Pete Obama. "It's more likely to be the work of some underground separatist group trying to remove you from power! We've let them have their protests and their rallies and their free speech, and now they've taken it to the next level! We should be cracking down on this insolence instead of rewarding it! Show the people what happens to those who dare to question your authority. You've got to remind them that you, Leader, are their Lord and Master!"
Option #4:
"Hah! Like that will work!" snorts Tobias Strange, Minister of Waste Disposal and Sanitation. "They'll just come after the rest of us and destroy the government from the bottom up! No, we need to go even further - reinforce the Parliament! We'll turn BEPU City into an impenetrable fortress! Robot bodyguards, food tasters... no expense should be spared! We should all do our jobs through a complex network of computers so we never have to leave the safety of our offices again!"
They're both so good...
My vote is for #2. As an Iron-fisted despot, you should make a show of what happens to those who dare to oppose you. #4 smacks of locking oneself in a tower, where you cower in fear that the next shadow conceals an assassin.
Which leads to this:

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 04 Nov 2011, 00:45

I thought of #4 as more ala the Citadel in Half Life 2, foreboding and watching over the entire surrounding area, in a Big Brother 1984 kind of way.

Current plan is #2 though. I like the idea of tanks rolling through the streets.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 04 Nov 2011, 03:41

i like #4 more
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 04 Nov 2011, 06:02

#2 is for winners.

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 04 Nov 2011, 07:13

The United States of Skunktopia
Spoiler! :
The United States of Skunktopia
“Who needs a motto?”

Category: Democratic Socialists
Civil Rights: Very Good
Economy: Reasonable
Political Freedoms: Below Average
Regional Influence: Minnow

The United States of Skunktopia is a fledgling, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its burgeoning Skunk population. Its hard-nosed population of 5 million are fiercely patriotic and enjoy great social equality; they tend to view other, more capitalist countries as somewhat immoral and corrupt.

The large government juggles the competing demands of Education, Social Welfare, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 28%, but much higher for the wealthy. A large private sector is led by the Beef-Based Agriculture industry, followed by Basket Weaving and Information Technology.

Crime is moderate, and the police force struggles against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Skunktopia's national animal is the Skunk, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Skollar.
Edit: Oh, and I'd choose Option #2
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.