Fallout NV

Want to talk about games or products other than Minecraft?
Spartigus

Fallout NV

Post by Spartigus » 30 Oct 2010, 22:48

Anyone playing it?
Are the glitches as bad as they look?
~"And I believe, that we'll conceive, to make in Hell for us a Heaven"~

Gravytrain
Professional

Re: Fallout NV

Post by Gravytrain » 30 Oct 2010, 23:06

I dislike it, coincidentally I LOVED FO3 (logged 150 hours on it), played it through 4 times, but with NV I just don't feel satisfied. As far as bugs are concerned there are plenty of them; dialog that doesn't follow through with quests/missions, suddenly not being able to shot or bring up your pip-boy during a fire fight, map locations being wrong etc.. There's just something about this game that seems hollow..I can't really put my finger on it. I recommended, if you are in fact wanting to get it, waiting until the DLC comes out and buying the "all in one" edition, it may come close to actually being worth what you paid for it.
I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

Spartigus

Post by Spartigus » 30 Oct 2010, 23:09

Gravytrain wrote:
Ya iv been debating it....
And I think I'm going to go the all in one addition
~"And I believe, that we'll conceive, to make in Hell for us a Heaven"~

Gravytrain
Professional

Post by Gravytrain » 30 Oct 2010, 23:15

Spartigus wrote:
Gravytrain wrote:
Ya iv been debating it....
And I think I'm going to go the all in one addition
I wish I would have waited, but i had such high expectations or at least expectations of the game being as good as FO3. Hopefully the DLC will save it somehow. :(
I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.

N12

Post by N12 » 30 Oct 2010, 23:57

I love it. the bugs are a pain but they are fixing them in a timely manner. FO games are always buggy for the first month or so

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 31 Oct 2010, 08:05

Do not talk to me about this game. I had to download a custom DirectX dll file just to make the game play at anything approaching a decent framerate when human NPCs were in the area. And now the quest I need to get into the Strip via Camp McCarran has bugged out on me.

Don't get me started on the issues with save files I had on launch day. Ugh.

Basically, anyone who buys the game right now is an unpaid beta tester. And that includes the console versions. Wait a few months for the bug fixes before you buy this one.
N12 wrote:I love it. the bugs are a pain but they are fixing them in a timely manner. FO games are always buggy for the first month or so
The engine used to make the game is FOUR YEARS OLD. I'll even be generous and say that the the modifications made to it for FO3 almost make it a new engine. That still means it is two years old. There are no excuses for there being any bugs of this magnitude left in the code.

Loki7734

Post by Loki7734 » 31 Oct 2010, 08:08

Spartigus wrote:Anyone playing it?
Are the glitches as bad as they look?
Not really, no. In 30 hours, I've only had two significant glitches, one of which was extremely serious but might have just been because I failed to complete an objective (completing said objective sorted it out). And... it's awesome. Really.

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 31 Oct 2010, 08:23

It's kind of a crap shoot with the glitches. Some people get them, while others don't. Those that do get them, however, are pretty much boned. When there are game-breaking bugs on the console versions, you know that something has gone horribly wrong.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 31 Oct 2010, 11:06

Have to remember that Obsidian is famous for making games that are bugged to all hell. These games are also usually great, but I'd always wait a while before getting one, usually when it has been patched up. No excuse for releasing a buggy game, but I'm glad that patches exist.

N12

Post by N12 » 31 Oct 2010, 13:16

SachielOne wrote:-snip-
N12 wrote:-snip-
The engine used to make the game is FOUR YEARS OLD. I'll even be generous and say that the the modifications made to it for FO3 almost make it a new engine. That still means it is two years old. There are no excuses for there being any bugs of this magnitude left in the code.
its just the graphics that are old they rebuilt the entire game otherwise. they added a TON of stuff that makes it much better than FO3. the real problem is that they dident have enough beta testers to check all of the bugs. it happens, but yes had i known that all these bugs would be here i would have waited.

Deofuta

Post by Deofuta » 01 Nov 2010, 12:15

Bought it with steam on lanch night. Played the hell out of it. I found it to be quite an enjoyable experience. No bugs for me, guess I was just damn lucky. Now I am waiting to see what crazy things come out of NewVegasNexus.
Check out my Store, Now Open in New Escapia! Well, I guess its gone now, but you can always check the thread for laughs!....I guess? :)

Korten

Post by Korten » 08 Nov 2010, 11:06

Deofuta wrote:Bought it with steam on lanch night. Played the hell out of it. I found it to be quite an enjoyable experience. No bugs for me, guess I was just damn lucky. Now I am waiting to see what crazy things come out of NewVegasNexus.
Didn't buy it on lanch, but got it on the 5th, so far I like it a lot better then Fallout 3, and no bugs also here. :)

lionheart_1
Site Contributor

Post by lionheart_1 » 08 Nov 2010, 20:23

I haven't had it crash yet, but one significant bug I've encountered is the ending of the Come Fly With Me quest. I won't spoil it, but needless to say, a couple of hours of gameplay leading up to a grand finale was ruined by that bug.
'Orbis non sufficit'

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 30 Nov 2010, 09:36

Korten wrote:
Deofuta wrote:Bought it with steam on lanch night. Played the hell out of it. I found it to be quite an enjoyable experience. No bugs for me, guess I was just damn lucky. Now I am waiting to see what crazy things come out of NewVegasNexus.
Didn't buy it on lanch, but got it on the 5th, so far I like it a lot better then Fallout 3, and no bugs also here. :)
I only found minor glitches too. Crashed a few times to the desktop before the update. But since then, I logged quite a few hours on this bad boy too (somewhere now they should be even with Fallout 3).

It's a different experience. The karma system is a bit different, de faction system is new. I find it genuinely fun.

It's more rewarding to be an assh*** here then it was in 3 (for the best example, you can have the THE SUN as a weapon!! Nothing tops that. And you can get power armor training 2 ways, one can be quite early through the game.).

One thing I hated about it: Not being able to wear NCR Veteran Armor without being "dressed as a member of NCR"...
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 30 Nov 2010, 09:44

Took me 3+ hours to get through the tutorials with all the crashing it's been doing. Very unhappy with it so far. Aside from the crashing, the only in-game bug I've run into is not being able to loot the boxes, crates, and belongings of a powder ganger camp that I took over without getting bad karma. The only thing it would let me take was the stuff on his body.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 30 Nov 2010, 11:19

Cho wrote:... I took over without getting bad karma...
But of course. They are the ex-prison convicts that terrorize people with dinamites. You even get good karma for it! It's a public service...
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 30 Nov 2010, 12:55

I got the 360 ver. on day one, had one major glitch happen that I had to wait for a patch for and then played all the way through it and beat the game.

My humble opinion: I loved it and I want see the other factions, I worked for the NCR for my first play through on normal with hardcore on. Was very nice ^^
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 06 Dec 2010, 13:34

Good news, everyone!

From the @Fallout twitter account: "We’ve wrapped up work on the Fallout: New Vegas patch and submitted it. We’ll let you know when it’s up on PS3, 360, and Steam."

Here's hoping they beta tested the patch.

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 06 Dec 2010, 13:45

SachielOne wrote:Good news, everyone!

From the @Fallout twitter account: "We’ve wrapped up work on the Fallout: New Vegas patch and submitted it. We’ll let you know when it’s up on PS3, 360, and Steam."

Here's hoping they beta tested the patch.
Oh. That is good news...
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 06 Dec 2010, 13:50

Cool, I'll be getting the game by Christmas, so I'll be glad for it to not attack me with glitches.

obejii

Post by obejii » 06 Dec 2010, 14:40

I played it, beat it, it kicked ass, i thought it was better than fallout 3.

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 06 Dec 2010, 16:28

SachielOne wrote:Good news, everyone!
Every time someone says or writes this I hear Professor Hubert Farnsworth.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

SachielOne
Site Contributor

Post by SachielOne » 06 Dec 2010, 23:01

That's pretty much the point of saying that.