Supreme Commander 2

Review games here.
Wildwill002

Supreme Commander 2

Post by Wildwill002 » 15 Mar 2012, 15:27

I've always been meaning to review this so here goes.

Supreme Commander 2 is the sequel to the original Supreme Commander and both are made by Chris Taylor. (Creator of the 1997 total annihilation) This game is an excellent rts set in the future where 3 factions are in combat. The campaign is good and throws you into a variety of situations and the tutorial is indeed helpful if you are a new Rts player.

The combat system is very easy to grasp as its just right click on what you want to destroy and it has an upgrade system. Say your rockhead tanks arent especially effective against your enemies annoyingly placed turrets, well with a simple upgrade they can have 3 barrels, a shield, extra damage and an anti-air weapon. There are some interesting things you can gain from upgrades, for example the Noah Unit Cannon which is a giant experimental cannon and factory designed to create and fire your units across the map so they arrive unscathed and battle ready.

There are 3 different unit types and (In my opinion) each faction has its own strength. The Cybran are the best with boats considering they can upgrade them to have legs and walk on land, the Illuminate are best at land considering they have the most experimental land units and tanks that can float on water (but no boats) and the UEF are excellent aerial fighters with a flying air factory and a specialized fighter unit and bomber unit.

Playing multiplayer is the best way to go. I recently had a game with 3 other friends against 4 Cheating AI (Hardest mode with the enemy getting bonus veterancy, build time and resource income) and it took a good hour and a half. Most players are fun to play with and its rare to be on a team where your allies wont help you if your being attacked. The wonderful thing about multiplayer is that everyone plays differently. I'm a turtle player I.E. I don't attack my enemy without having at least 3 Monkeylord Spiderbots (Strongest unit in the game, can survive several nukes).

There are 3 different game types, Supremacy, which is completely destroying everything your enemy has ever made. Assassination, which is finding and killing your opponents ACU (Armored Command Unit) causing a nuclear meltdown and explosion and infinite war which is mostly for multiplayers that want to practice strategies on each other as the game never ends. Assassination games can take about 20-40 mins, Supremacy games can take 40+ mins depending on what difficulty your playing and infinite war never ends.

The buildings in the game are innovative and fun to see in an RTS. They range from the shield generators and basic defense towers to Nukes and experimental unit teleporters. If you like massive explosions then this is the game for you. If you fear your enemy might fire nukes at you build a nuclear defense silo or even better, be a cybran player, get the DLC (Which is well worth it as it unlocks new maps, new units and more fun) and build some boomerang buildings. They redirect the nukes back to the sender where they cant be destroyed until they explode.

This is my favourite game right now. The graphics are excellent, the musics alright and the gameplay is impeccable. Definitely 10/10 and 5*. Infact, why are you still reading this? Get the demon or go buy it on steam, its only £9.99
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Wildwill002

Re: Supreme Commander 2

Post by Wildwill002 » 24 Mar 2012, 11:22

Just gonna say this is now £4.99 on steam and I really really really recommend everyone that likes RTS's to get it
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |