Skyrim: My review.

Review games here.
D4nny

Skyrim: My review.

Post by D4nny » 01 Dec 2011, 16:11

Damn it guys I thought I clicked on game reviews D: Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

(This is my first thread here, nice to meet you all. I'll be your eternal overlord for the next few months. All your pixels are belong to me).

Also, this won't be the most in-depth review ever it's just going to touch on the key things.
Alright so you've probably heard of Skyrim by now, and at least had a look at it. If not, go watch the trailer and thank me later :p.
But if you're here then you're probably going to want to know if it's worth buying, if it's over-hyped or if it's identical to Oblivion. Read on :D.

First thing I'm going to touch on is combat. Since E3, Combat within Skyrim's been glamorised as realistic and denser than Oblivion. While I do get some great satisfaction from clubbing in a giant Frostbite spider with a Daedric Lord's mace, it hasn't been made as...deep as it was made to look.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great step from Oblivion and is definately one of the highest steps for combat in an RPG, it just doesn't feel perfect. Hits don't always feel like they connect, and sometimes it's patchy.
However saying this, afew things make combat in Skyrim both unique and powerful.

- Duel wielding. This says enough, it REALLY adds individuality. Whether you want to skewer a rat like a kebab with flames in one hand and a dagger in the other, or make a Daedric popsicle with ice in each hand, you're going to be able to do that. Such a fun aspect that lets you define how you fight.

- Cinematic kills. This might seem skin deep, but the satisfaction you get seeing your greatsword plunge through an orc's stomach and lift him off his feet is immense. Really fun cinematics , and at the risk of sounding two-faced they're pretty realistic.

GRAPHICS

Graphics are beautiful. I can't stress this enough, they're the highest gen I've seen this year (Battlefield 3's almost on par with this engine). Stepping out of a dark, gloomy cave into a swirling snowstorm never looked better. Combine these top-par graphics with the size of the world, and you're going to see some breathtaking views.
However as expected with all Bethesda games, graphical bugs can be found in alot of places. Alot are kind of funny, but some do make your gameplay slightly worse (Like seeing water clip and dissapear sometimes). I may have been given a perfect disk (I wish D:) But I haven't seen many - this is going off where I've seen others complain about.

QUESTS

Many quests are big and immersive, and some quest lines will engage you for hours on end. As an example, after the Dark brotherhood quest line is complete it will still generate assassination contracts for you. The same is with every guild, albeit different genre's. Sure eventually you'd get bored, but they're always going to be there for you if you feel like killing LOIS- anyone.
Coming back with the glitches, some are quest breaking and will stop you completing the quest. I've only had one quest-stopping glitch out of 74 that was fixed by reloading a save, but still they're highly disappointing when you're caught up in the quest.
The main quest can be short if you rush through it, but I found it fun to play with some really high quality content thrown into it.
All this topped with unlimited quests has to be a defining highlight in the RPG genre.

Sound
This game's music is amazing and suits wherever you are, I honestly don't need to say more. Voice acting, however, is meh. You'll often find the same people doing voices. Not too much of an issue though.

SCORE
/40
Combat: 8 - Great, some tweaking would make it perfect.

Graphics - 10 - Very, very high quality.

Gameplay - 9, glitches do let it down slightly. Highly imersive, however.

Sound - 9, Repetetive voice acting eventually slightly sucks.

SCORE OUT OF 40

36/40

The best game I've ever played, if you like RPG's this is a definite winner for you. Let down by glitches that will eventually be patched.

This was my first game review, I've not put much detail into it to gauge it's reaction, if people think it's worth putting time into I'll expand on the review. Thanks for reading!

Milo_Windby
Retired

Re: Skyrim: My review.

Post by Milo_Windby » 01 Dec 2011, 16:32

Moved it to Game Reviews for you =3
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 01 Dec 2011, 16:42

with regards to voice acting. at least they dont change personalities from line to line like Oblivion anymore...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

XDelphi

Post by XDelphi » 01 Dec 2011, 17:04

I absolutely love the game; great review! Although, the glitches really get on my nerves. Everything flickers gray, graphics-wise after a while, sound randomly disappears until I next enter somewhere. I'm hoping the update fixes them.
Meet the Staff | Worlds Apart | The Imperial City | Server & Forum Rules | The Store
"What are the odds of two elusive pastries?" - MKindy on his theory of conspiracy

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 02 Dec 2011, 10:59

Remember! Whatever glitches they have on the pc will indefinably be fixed by some modder whilst us consolers have to wait for official patches
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

D4nny

Post by D4nny » 02 Dec 2011, 20:56

Thanks Milo, I'd wondered where it had dissapeared to! xD.

Yep Wild, that's true. Unfortunately my laptop's rubbish so I got it on the Xbox :(.
Delphi yeah, I got to the final thieves guild mission to have the boss frame cutting up and down in the same spot for 10 minutes, really sucked >.<.

Thanks for all the positive feedback :)

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 02 Dec 2011, 21:10

vallorn wrote:with regards to voice acting. at least they dont change personalities from line to line like Oblivion anymore...

Oh, spoiler if you haven't beat the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. But you've had five years to do it.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 02 Dec 2011, 21:24

for a so called "Mad God" Sheogorath speaks more fluently and sanely than almost anyone else in Oblivion Afly...

that could be because The Shivering Ilse is one of the greatest expansions to a game ever...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 02 Dec 2011, 21:43

That voice sounds like it should belong to the narrator of a Warhammer 40k game.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 02 Dec 2011, 23:25

vallorn wrote:for a so called "Mad God" Sheogorath speaks more fluently and sanely than almost anyone else in Oblivion Afly...

that could be because The Shivering Ilse is one of the greatest expansions to a game ever...
Do you mean Sheogorath in Oblivion or Skryim? They're both great. /me loves the wabbajack

D4nny

Post by D4nny » 03 Dec 2011, 09:23

aflycon wrote:
vallorn wrote:for a so called "Mad God" Sheogorath speaks more fluently and sanely than almost anyone else in Oblivion Afly...

Do you mean Sheogorath in Oblivion or Skryim? They're both great. /me loves the wabbajack

Wabberjack is the best thing ever, I shot a bandit and he turned into a girl.

*Giggles*.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 03 Dec 2011, 09:29

Dont use the wabbajack on bunnies! They turn into dremora kynval...
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 03 Dec 2011, 13:56

Well at least that's an easy way to get Daedra Hearts.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 03 Dec 2011, 14:09

You'd think so but when their dead they go back to rabbits... I just go to mehrunes dagon's shrine every so often or use the atronach alter
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |