Who is God to You?

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
trovo22

Re: Who is God to You?

Post by trovo22 » 26 Sep 2012, 16:50

Invun, you know it was a reference :P
DURRR lalala NINJA!!!

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 26 Sep 2012, 17:04

aflycon wrote:the blind ignorance and relative stupidity implied by how an argument is presented really puts me off.
Don't bend what I said as a means to an end. Stupidity can be implied by the way an argument is presented. It does not mean that the presenter of the argument is, in fact, inherently stupid.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 26 Sep 2012, 17:13

Smart people can do stupid things.
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 27 Sep 2012, 18:00

I still have no clue what the who gold ball equals star thing is trying to prove...

Just because a star is massive compared to earth doesn't mean it can't be explained by science.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

MrJKapowey

Post by MrJKapowey » 30 Sep 2012, 11:00

Hmm...

Who is god to me? Well, nothing. I'm an atheist, but I am open to the concept of religion so long as I experience something which makes me believe that god exists. I, as an atheist do not know that god does not exist (the same way, if you're a 'believer' you do not know that he exists), and this is one of the reasons that I think agnosticism s kind of a silly PoV. Since theist = Does not know either way but believes he exists; Agnostic = Does not know either way; Atheist = Does not know either way but believes he does not exist.

Anyway, that's me done. Also, to the person who said that he could not think of a war which was not started b/c religion, the Falklands Conflict is a pretty good one.
'Dum-dums we ain't!'

Thanks to CaitxxSith on DeviantART for the free avatars.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 30 Sep 2012, 13:11

I'm not sure what you mean by agnosticism being a silly point of view. Since it's the only view that doesn't make a conclusion without proof it's the most pragmatic of the lot. By comparison Atheism and Theism are conclusions made in the idea that certain factors in existence are set a specific way. Since Agnosticism acknowledges that they can't be proven and doesn't wish to make a conclusion either way based on not knowing the truth, you could see it as the least silly stance to take. This does not diminish the worth of Atheism or Theism (having convictions can be a positive thing after all), but certainly both have an element of blind faith behind them that agnosticism does not.

And most wars aren't really started because of religion. It's just nowadays religion is no longer viable as an excuse to go to war - it would cause outrage nowadays as a reason to fight someone else. War is mostly about power, and religion as a means of attaining and/or retaining power is nowhere near what it used to be (e.g. the time of the Caliphate or when the Papacy had proper, full-blown military forces under its command).