Who is God to You?

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
Jake55778
Site Contributor

Re: Who is God to You?

Post by Jake55778 » 29 Jun 2012, 17:51

furdabip wrote: I can't think of a single war that was started for reasons other than religious ones. Not. A. Single. One.
Oh come on, there have been plenty of secular wars. Organized religion may have seen more than it's fair share of bloodshed throughout history, but lets not pretend there weren't other factors.

Although I'm inclined to agree on the brainwashing count, although perhaps that word is a little melodramatic. It certainly seems that the vast majority of people who claim to be religious were indoctrinated into it from childhood. If I learned one thing from Santa Claus it's that you can convince kids of just about anything if it's reinforced often enough. It's exceedingly rare to meet someone who grew up atheist, read the bible as an adult, and thought "Yep that makes perfect sense, this is for me".
The staff here are all trolls

Post by 697134002 » 29 Jun 2012, 17:55

furdabip wrote:
SMWasder wrote:So long as religion isn't harming people or overriding actual scientific study in schools I don't care what people believe.
Religion brainwashes people into waging religious wars with each other, simply because people believe different things than each other. I can't think of a single war that was started for reasons other than religious ones. Not. A. Single. One.

That makes religion dangerous. You should NOT have a view of "Well, if they're not hurting anyone..." about religion, as THEY ARE.
World War I was caused by nationalism. The American Civil War was caused by the secession of southern states. The Second Congo War is rather confusing, but not religious. The Paraguayan War was political.
However, religion is behind many wars and it suppresses scientific advances. Religion is the foe of skepticism, and skepticism has brought us vaccines, modern technology and many more things. Skepticism has even brought us knowledge of what the sun is made of. Religion has brought us... war, genocide, oppression and many other things. In modern times, religion has even caused Texas to say that teaching students critical thinking is bad because it makes them challenge beliefs. The following video contains "strong" language and opinions which may not be suited for all viewers. Viewer discretion is advised.
Spoiler! :
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 29 Jun 2012, 18:14

furdabip wrote:
SMWasder wrote:So long as religion isn't harming people or overriding actual scientific study in schools I don't care what people believe.
Religion brainwashes people into waging religious wars with each other, simply because people believe different things than each other. I can't think of a single war that was started for reasons other than religious ones. Not. A. Single. One.

That makes religion dangerous. You should NOT have a view of "Well, if they're not hurting anyone..." about religion, as THEY ARE.
If you only think of religion as a whole then you're kinda right. Most religious people aren't though. Certainly most religious people I've ever met (barring a couple of exceptions) are quite happy to keep their beliefs to themselves and are quite reasonable people just like everyone else. Religion isn't necessarily dangerous, whilst I do know it's used as an excuse for lots of violence, I also think that if it was removed people would find a different excuse. Even without religion people are never going to agree.

EDIT:
I really don't understand the 'all wars are caused by religious reasons' bit either. If you can explain how WW1, WW2, the Falklands were directly caused by religion I would be very impressed.
WWTDD

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Jun 2012, 18:47

or most of the wars during the Cold War period. or many of the wars during the time when Western Europe was making alot of its empires. in fact most of the wars between Christian European countries bbefore that too.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 29 Jun 2012, 19:21

Hey, I said IIII couldn't think of any wars not started by religion. Not that there were none. :-p

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 29 Jun 2012, 22:23

The main things that made me go aethiest I think are peleantolgy (can't spell that damn word right) and other religions. If I'm not mistaken, the Bible states that the world was created 6000 years ago or something like that, even though there is scientific proof of it being around for billions of years, and there being life on it for millions.

As for other religions, how is it that Christianity is the only right religion, but, say, Greek mythology is wrong? What makes one person's religion more factual than another, especially when they sometimes state completely opposite things? Who's to say the Roman gods weren't real, but the Christian God is?

This doesn't mean I think religion is a bad thing. I've seen how the believe in a greater power can help people through tough times, by thinking someone is looking out for them and that everything happens for a reason. It's just not something I believe in at all.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Jun 2012, 23:03

furdabip wrote:Hey, I said IIII couldn't think of any wars not started by religion. Not that there were none. :-p
that reflects more onto you than religion im afraid.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Post by 697134002 » 29 Jun 2012, 23:12

Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:The main things that made me go aethiest I think are peleantolgy (can't spell that damn word right) and other religions. If I'm not mistaken, the Bible states that the world was created 6000 years ago or something like that, even though there is scientific proof of it being around for billions of years, and there being life on it for millions.

As for other religions, how is it that Christianity is the only right religion, but, say, Greek mythology is wrong? What makes one person's religion more factual than another, especially when they sometimes state completely opposite things? Who's to say the Roman gods weren't real, but the Christian God is?

This doesn't mean I think religion is a bad thing. I've seen how the believe in a greater power can help people through tough times, by thinking someone is looking out for them and that everything happens for a reason. It's just not something I believe in at all.
Palaeontology. Or paleontology, if you prefer the boring American spellings. And atheist does not have an æ. It's just atheist, as A is the prefix, not a part of the prefix, as with palaeontology or haemoglobin.
And belief in a greater power can convince people to do bad things.
Steven Weinberg wrote:Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
The reason for this is that religion justifies doing things. Holocaust? The catholic church did not remove the charge of deicide on all jews until the 1960s, so that was a contributing factor to Nazi antisemitism.
9/11? Religious differences.
Crusades? Despite political factors, the people were convinced to fight for religion, and that is why they fought.
The recent ban on reason by Texas? Religion. (They banned the teaching of critical and higher level thinking because it makes children challenge static beliefs)
Yes, religion can make people feel better. But there are ways to do that without side effects such as fundamentalism.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 29 Jun 2012, 23:58

I look back on the way I grew up and I genuinely fear what I may have become had I not changed paths.

No higher power has never been there for me. I understand that faith is the idea of believing in something you cannot see, but after hearing so many testimonies about people speaking with the Lord, I'm not inclined to believe any of that shit. Believe what you want, but it's not for me.

P.S. Stop killing people over your storybooks please.

/end offensive post

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 30 Jun 2012, 01:00

aflycon wrote:I look back on the way I grew up and I genuinely fear what I may have become had I not changed paths.

As do I. Though I still believe in some sort of higher power, I very much doubt it cares what goes on in our little world. (Or at least, I genuinely hope it doesn't.)
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 03:35

Jake55778 wrote:Astronomy is what tipped me from agnostic to atheist a few years back. To grasp, however loosely, the immensity of our universe is a humbling moment. The scale of it, the age of it, the power of it, all put any written descriptions of God to shame. How could a being capable of creating such unfathomable complexity be so petty, so jealous, and so cruel? Why would such a being single out our humble rock orbiting it's single star amongst trillions?

Of course you only have to flip the dynamic of man and god around for it all to make sense. Instead of God creating man, man creates God. To the bronze age nomads to whom this God supposedly spoke the night sky was merely something pretty to look at. They had no clue that each of those specks of light was a star every bit as bright as our own. Or that the seemingly empty space between them was filled with yet more stars, stretching away across distances that they could have scarcely imagined. Without that perspective I imagine it would be easy to believe that Earth is the center of the universe and that a creator is merely hiding in the clouds.

In light of everything we now know however: God is simply too small.

As long as we're posting videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-3nILrROU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nnwvoH-4XI
For me, it's the other way around. Looking at how great the universe is, it makes me realize God's power. In addition YouTube videos wont load where I am now IDK why though.
-asi1998
~John 3:16

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 03:51

furdabip wrote:

Evolution is a theory. If schools truly want to be neutral they need to teach all worldviews as theory. In addition if evolution was wrong (which I believe it is) then we would have millions of brainwashed people. Schools need to teach everything equally. In addition, there will always be religious radicals out there that are crazy and start wars but just because they are hypocrites, the fact that Jesus died and rose from the dead does not change.

In addition, Hitler started a world war over a scientific worldview he had. In Darwin's book: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection and the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life explains what Hitler did. He thought he was helping science develop by promoting the Aryan race above other races. He took down a darker race as Darwin said would happen because he thought he was helping science develop.
-asi1998

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 03:55

The Bum wrote:
aflycon wrote:I look back on the way I grew up and I genuinely fear what I may have become had I not changed paths.

As do I. Though I still believe in some sort of higher power, I very much doubt it cares what goes on in our little world. (Or at least, I genuinely hope it doesn't.)
God wants to be your friend not your enemy.
-asi1998

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 03:58

Just so y'all know I'm open to theories that the world is older than 6,000 years and am happy to be looking into them. The 6,000 year thing is something I have concluded based on what I have seen and heard.
-asi1998

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 04:05

697, I will look into this and get back with you once I have access to a computer again. This is really interesting especially the tree ring thing.
-asi1998

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 30 Jun 2012, 04:40

asi1998 wrote:Just so y'all know I'm open to theories that the world is older than 6,000 years and am happy to be looking into them. The 6,000 year thing is something I have concluded based on what I have seen and heard.
Carbon dating. The half-life has been scientifically proven to be 5,730±40 years, and paleontologists use a scientifically proven formula involving calculating how much the carbon-14 in an item has decayed from it's original state. For example, carbon dating has determined the roots of the clonal tree Old Tjikko to be around 9,500 years old.

For more info on carbon dating, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating
And information on Old Tjikko: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tjikko
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 30 Jun 2012, 05:34

asi1998 wrote:
Evolution is a theory. If schools truly want to be neutral they need to teach all worldviews as theory. In addition if evolution was wrong (which I believe it is) then we would have millions of brainwashed people. Schools need to teach everything equally. In addition, there will always be religious radicals out there that are crazy and start wars but just because they are hypocrites, the fact that Jesus died and rose from the dead does not change.
Evolution is a scientific theory, it's not the same as theory in a colloquial sense. A scientific theory is the most solid, rigorously tested form of scientific knowledge; it has stood up to all testing and is supported by a wealth of evidence. Schools do not need to teach creationism equally (although I do think it should be explained) because it is not equally valid; it is not a scientific theory as it has no evidence to support it.

Refusal to accept evolution is in effect the same as refusal to accept the theory of relativity, or atomic theory. Frankly, it saddens me that there are people that will refuse everything that thousands of people have dedicated their life to studying and found hard evidence for in favour of a fanciful tale from two and a half millennia ago.
WWTDD

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Jun 2012, 05:42

asi1998 wrote:
furdabip wrote:

In addition, Hitler started a world war over a scientific worldview he had. In Darwin's book: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection and the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life explains what Hitler did. He thought he was helping science develop by promoting the Aryan race above other races. He took down a darker race as Darwin said would happen because he thought he was helping science develop.
Evolution is a theory yes. however its a much more plausible and elegant theory that explains and predicts all the evidence and has not been disproved yet. the other theories pick and choose what evidence to use instead of being able to explain all of it plausibly. evolution has an established mechanism (Genetic mutation) while pretty much all the other theories, when you ask about the mechanisms they use just shrug and say "god did it" or something along those lines.

Personally I have no issue with a parent wanting to teach their child about the other theories but Evolution is a recognized fact and so should be taught to its utmost in education.

Hell we have been able to see evolution in action by introducing an invasive species to an island and watching the other species on that island evolve to adapt or die.

On another note. What Hitler attempted to do was called Eugenics. your correct to an extent that this is based on Evolutionary principles but please also remember that Hitler was a Vegetarian nutter with one testicle and had a closet of terrible men as his advisers. the Aryan theory was mostly just an excuse to let him kill whom he wished.

tldr: The other theories are crackpots without scientific basis or acceptance. Evolution has withstood hundreds of years of scrutiny.
asi1998 wrote:Just so y'all know I'm open to theories that the world is older than 6,000 years and am happy to be looking into them. The 6,000 year thing is something I have concluded based on what I have seen and heard.
well then. Im assuming you mean the universe to so. il give you a nice long string of things that prove our world and universe are many MANY times older. feel free to google any of em.
Hubble Constant, The Lifetime of the sun. Dinosaurs and other fossils, Rocks in County Antirm in Ireland (Oldest rocks in Europe), the temperature of the universe and the big bang theory, The decay of fissile material, also as Sti said. carbon dating.

On another note:
I look at the universe and see mathematics. I see the elegant dance of equations in the atoms and stars to produce the elements that form all things. I see infinitys of nothing and swirling disks that burn brighter than the hottest star. I see stars die to form nebulae and nebulae collapsing to form new stars and planets. I do not see God in any of this. it is unnecessary, the universe is beautiful as it is without having to see it through those lenses and even more awe inspiring to think that it is the mathematical laws we discovered on Earth that govern the motions of the celestial plane.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

welwyn

Post by welwyn » 30 Jun 2012, 05:57

Hell we have been able to see evolution in action by introducing an invasive species to an island and watching the other species on that island evolve to adapt or die.
Cane toad.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Jun 2012, 06:37

welwyn wrote:
Cane toad.
also rats.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 30 Jun 2012, 09:57

asi1998 wrote:Evolution is a theory. If schools truly want to be neutral they need to teach all worldviews as theory. In addition if evolution was wrong (which I believe it is) then we would have millions of brainwashed people.
At this point, you're either extremely ignorant and don't WANT to learn anything different than what you already "know to be true," or you're trolling. I hope it's the latter.

Anyway, if you want a shot of knowledge on evolution, why it's correct, and a bit about what a "theory" is in relation to science (it's not an unproven guess, in case you were wondering that), here you go:

Edit: Also, I'd like to randomly point out that there are thousands of religions in practise, of which there are large chunks of them that are merely offshoots of other religions with just slightly changed ideas about what that religion is supposed to be. Thousands.

There is ONE theory of evolution, studied by more people than are studying religion. There's no need to create an offshoot when something has its facts straight. ONE THEORY.

Now how can ANYONE claim that people are brainwashing ANYONE when it comes to scientific teachings? The fact that there is more than one "truth" about religion and god is proof enough that it's bullshit.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 30 Jun 2012, 11:12

I don't think I'll wade into this myself, but I would like to point out that Hitler did not do what he did in the idea that he was developing science. He did what he did because he was a vindictive, psychotic man, but it's not very easy to justify such a reason to the wider populace, least of all to yourself. Most of the "scientific" part of Nazism is a load of rubbish perpetuated to sustain popular support.

He was also not an Atheist, if not easily identifiable with an established religion.

Post by 697134002 » 30 Jun 2012, 11:22

asi1998 wrote:
furdabip wrote:

Yes, evolution is a theory.
Or rather, the mechanism is. Evolution itself is as much a fact as gravity or continental drift, as they are all simply observations. Natural selection, on the other hand, is a theory, like gravitation or plate tectonics. All available evidence supports it and none contradicts it. It is not a theory in the colloquial sense; rather, it is a scientific theory.
Creationism or "intelligent" design is a colloquial theory. That is not even as good as a scientific hypothesis, as it does not explicitly make claims to be tested or results to be replicated. It's just an idea with no supporting evidence.

I'm gonna go into a bit more detail about one piece of evidence for evolution. On February 24th, 1988, Richard Lenski took twelve flasks of E. coli. They were, for all intents and purposes, identical. They were placed in a minimal growth medium and one of the things measured was how long it took for them to completely consume it. The next day, 1% of the population of each flash was transferred into another one. Large samples of the populations were frozen at 75 day intervals. This is a chart of the size of the E. coli cells as the experiment went on. They also began to consume the minimal growth medium faster as the generations went by.

Here is a more detailed explanation of the E. coli experiment.

And about teaching alternatives, do you think that students should be taught that the earth may be spherical OR it may be flat? There's some controversy there. Nothing scientific about the flat earth hypothesis, but there are people who support it and push for it to be taught to children in schools. And, back to teaching creationism, why not also teach that Quetzalcoatl created this, the fourth, iteration of the world and will one day return? It's got as much evidence on its side as creationism. Or maybe they should also teach that the world was created from the excrement of giant ants.

And onto Social Darwinism, Hitler did not start a world war over that in its entirety. He was also a catholic, and the catholic church placed a charge of deicide on the jews until the 1960s. That was one contributing factor with him wanting to exterminate them. And yes, he did believe that he should make the Aryan race. But he did not do it for the betterment of science. Also, you appear to think that The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection includes something about preserving favoured races. It doesn't.
And ideas like social darwinism existed long before Darwin. Europeans enslaved Africans and looked down on them because they considered them inferior. Didn't need knowledge of evolution to do that.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 30 Jun 2012, 13:06

You can't prove that God either exists or does not exist, so why argue about it?

The only thing we can be sure of is that these discussions typically end up being the ramblings of zealous believers and deniers who have a need to feel more intellectually superior than the other.

Post by 697134002 » 30 Jun 2012, 13:09

SneakyPie wrote:You can't prove that God either exists or does not exist, so why argue about it?

The only thing we can be sure of is that these discussions typically end up being the ramblings of zealous believers and deniers who have a need to feel more intellectually superior than the other.
Because of things like Texas declaring that it will no longer teach critical thinking and higher level thinking to students because it may cause them to challenge religious beliefs.
Because of homophobia, which religion is a large contributor to.
Because of all of the people dying in third world countries because of religious groups urging them not to take vaccines or use condoms.

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 13:27

vallorn wrote:
welwyn wrote:
Cane toad.
also rats.
Can you show me some articles on these things?
-asi1998

asi1998
Retired

Post by asi1998 » 30 Jun 2012, 13:32

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I don't think I'll wade into this myself, but I would like to point out that Hitler did not do what he did in the idea that he was developing science. He did what he did because he was a vindictive, psychotic man, but it's not very easy to justify such a reason to the wider populace, least of all to yourself. Most of the "scientific" part of Nazism is a load of rubbish perpetuated to sustain popular support.

He was also not an Atheist, if not easily identifiable with an established religion.
Hitler did think that he was helping science develop but I have no doubt that he was a very evil man.
-asi1998

Post by 697134002 » 30 Jun 2012, 13:43

asi1998 wrote:Can you show me some articles on these things?
Seriously? You've never heard of cane toads in Australia? Clicky.

asi1998 wrote:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I don't think I'll wade into this myself, but I would like to point out that Hitler did not do what he did in the idea that he was developing science. He did what he did because he was a vindictive, psychotic man, but it's not very easy to justify such a reason to the wider populace, least of all to yourself. Most of the "scientific" part of Nazism is a load of rubbish perpetuated to sustain popular support.

Hitler did think that he was helping science develop but I have no doubt that he was a very evil man.
Prove it. Show me one occasion where he said that he was helping science by killing jews.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Jun 2012, 13:48

asi1998 wrote:Can you show me some articles on these things?
One experiment on this is mentioned in Furds video.

here are some others:
http://www.pnas.org/content/98/10/5446.full
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 4702025545
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 1545.short
http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... lCode=emon
asi1998 wrote:

Uh. The man was actually ill. he had contracted Syphilis earlier on in life which REALLY screws with brain chemistry.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 30 Jun 2012, 13:54

asi1998 wrote:
The Bum wrote:

God wants to be your friend not your enemy.
That's what you believe. I think somewhat differently.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae