Legalize Marijuana?

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
notbob1

Legalize Marijuana?

Post by notbob1 » 24 Apr 2011, 21:35

I think it would benefit our economy, the value of it would go down (supply and demand), and it won't be called the gateway drug because there wouldn't be any pressure from dealers to buy harder and more detrimental drugs. Overall, I think it'd be a good decision.
----My Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/notbobtekk----
"You're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels" -Bill Murray
I don't go on my MSN much, so don't be surprised when I don't reply for like a decade.

Zinrius
Retired

Re: Legalize Marijuana?

Post by Zinrius » 24 Apr 2011, 22:28

Anything's a good decision when you're high :)

/me is horrid at srs discussions about governments
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 24 Apr 2011, 22:38

Who's economy? International audience here.

Yeah the arguement to leagalise marijuana has been tossed back and forth plenty of times. It's less harmful than alchohol, and less addictive than caffeine, and if it were legalised it could be better regulated and made even safer. It was only banned for political reasons.

To be honest I have no strong feeling either way about it's recreational use, but I do feel that it should be freely available for medical purposes where needed.
The staff here are all trolls

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 24 Apr 2011, 22:56

Since I have a large majority in the vote for Prime Minister on this forum, and am the head of a major company, I'm very happy with legalising such a lucrative and easily monopolised industry. However, legalising it will inevitably make people lose interest in the product, due to the fact that it's no longer "the forbidden fruit", which means a loss of profit. However, I already do need to spend quite a bit to make sure I can market the product successfully with its current legal status.

Bit of a conundrum for me...

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 24 Apr 2011, 23:18

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Since I have a large majority in the vote for Prime Minister on this forum, and am the head of a major company, I'm very happy with legalising such a lucrative and easily monopolised industry. However, legalising it will inevitably make people lose interest in the product, due to the fact that it's no longer "the forbidden fruit", which means a loss of profit. However, I already do need to spend quite a bit to make sure I can market the product successfully with its current legal status.

Bit of a conundrum for me...
Alcohol use to be the forbidden fruit... People have not lost any intrest in it. [I'm speaking for the USA]

I don't know from an international stand point, but here in San Francisco (you know its story), its reaaaaally easy to get some, so theres no "forbidden fruit" sense to it. You don't even go to jail for it anymore in California, its a 100$ fine for possession under an ounce, no court, no file.

Personally, I'm all for it. I'm already an active smoker of it, and I'd take it over alcohol any day.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 25 Apr 2011, 10:38

Laptop_mini wrote:Alcohol use to be the forbidden fruit... People have not lost any intrest in it. [I'm speaking for the USA]
I'm merely judging this based on probability. Most nations that have made marijuana legal don't have as large a usage of it as nations that keep it illegal. Normally usage goes down after the initial rush to try some legally. Alcohol is very widely accepted though, as well as profitable, more noticeably varied, and less of an effort. We look after the lazy consumer here!

Also, many people already smoke cigarettes. I doubt they'd transition from smoking one thing to the other easily.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 25 Apr 2011, 11:39

Lord_Mountbatten wrote: Also, many people already smoke cigarettes. I doubt they'd transition from smoking one thing to the other easily.
Smoking cigarettes and weed are not the same thing, meaning, you don't smoke weed at times where people smoke cigarettes. Here's an example to be a bit more clear: Everyday, when I have a 10min break, I go out and smoke a cigarette. But I would never smoke weed at that break, because I don't want to be completely stoned when I go back in. I smoke weed when I know I have at least an hour or two in front of me of nothing..

You smoke a cigarette because of the nicotine, how it calms your nerves and serves your addiction, but you smoke weed because you want to get high.

I don't know if I was really clear...

And as for countries where it's legal, first, you don't hear about it at all because its legal, and second (don't take my word on this one), usually the only countries I've seen where it's "legal", the population is poor and would rather spend little money they have on food. I'm not talking about Amsterdam of course, because that's just a tourist's nest.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 25 Apr 2011, 11:45

Laptop_mini wrote:And as for countries where it's legal, first, you don't hear about it at all because its legal, and second (don't take my word on this one), usually the only countries I've seen where it's "legal", the population is poor and would rather spend little money they have on food. I'm not talking about Amsterdam of course, because that's just a tourist's nest.
If you consider Holland in general, not just tourist places like Amsterdam, not many of the indigenous population smoke marijuana there, much to the chagrin of my company.

Perhaps you are right though, and I'll make a fortune when I have my own nation legalise it. Dead empire means depressed citizens after all!

notbob1

Post by notbob1 » 25 Apr 2011, 22:25

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
Laptop_mini wrote:And as for countries where it's legal, first, you don't hear about it at all because its legal, and second (don't take my word on this one), usually the only countries I've seen where it's "legal", the population is poor and would rather spend little money they have on food. I'm not talking about Amsterdam of course, because that's just a tourist's nest.
If you consider Holland in general, not just tourist places like Amsterdam, not many of the indigenous population smoke marijuana there, much to the chagrin of my company.

Perhaps you are right though, and I'll make a fortune when I have my own nation legalise it. Dead empire means depressed citizens after all!
Everyone's high = World Peace
----My Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/notbobtekk----
"You're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels" -Bill Murray
I don't go on my MSN much, so don't be surprised when I don't reply for like a decade.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 25 Apr 2011, 22:26

War is good for business, but apparently so is peace. So I win either way.

jagorrax
Retired

Post by jagorrax » 26 Apr 2011, 15:29

We spend way too much money fighting a drug war that we will never win. I think it should be legalized, taxed and regulated. There should be laws implemented as well: no smoking in public, no smoking while driving, and no smoking under the age of 18. Not only will this bring in revenue, it would create jobs, and stop the violence already caused by criminalizing pot. Compared to the effects of alcohol, marijuana really isn't a harmful drug. At the very least, it needs to be decriminalized.
Sometimes I lather my body with Vaseline and pretend I'm a slug.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 26 Apr 2011, 16:44

jagorrax wrote:We spend way too much money fighting a drug war that we will never win. I think it should be legalized, taxed and regulated. There should be laws implemented as well: no smoking in public, no smoking while driving, and no smoking under the age of 18. Not only will this bring in revenue, it would create jobs, and stop the violence already caused by criminalizing pot. Compared to the effects of alcohol, marijuana really isn't a harmful drug. At the very least, it needs to be decriminalized.
The last law proposed in California (which didn't pass) was to legalize it and control it. Only people over 21 could smoke it and buy it, and only licensed stores would be able to sell it.
The problem with the law was that it set pretty high prison times for people who were to smoke/buy it before 21, for people who would sell it without it being taxed and, even more, if you were to give any to a -21 (If i remember correctly, that was 5 years of prison).

So even if the fight is there, and laws are starting to build themselves, we're still far from it. :/

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 27 Apr 2011, 06:10

Well, it's a tough one, and it depends on how you do it too.

Are we talking legalising it throughout America, or internationally? If it's not the latter, what happens when someone takes it into another country from America or vice-versa?

Personally, I believe that any country that did legalise it would, as you said, get a bit of a boost in their economy. I mean, it'd be bough by quite a few, at least in the early days of legalisation, and the tax from that would be great.

Also, on the note of economy and government, who would be selling it? Are we saying the government would produce and sell it, or will independent people be able to sell it with government permission?

The way you go about doing this really affects the final decision.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 27 Apr 2011, 10:09

Independent companies of course! Though if I do successfully become Prime Minister then only the government. Have to cover my bases you see.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 27 Apr 2011, 10:42

id vote for you if you stood to get us out of Europe Lord!
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 27 Apr 2011, 10:49

Namby-pamby foreigners. This country does not need the EU when it will have the strong financial support of CreepsUTrust PLC!

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 29 Apr 2011, 03:08

I'm living proof that England is slowly but surely conquering Europe through it's accent.

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 10 May 2011, 02:53

I miss the british empire :,(
But i agree that it should be legalized, for one thing im allergic to some of the things in cigarettes but with weed im completely ok, though as with laptop a always make sure im not doing anything that day, like minecrafting >_>
Im not a regular smoker of it but i have had my fair share in th past year or two....
Though having everyone high for a day would be interesting...
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 10 May 2011, 10:51

arogon343 wrote:But i agree that it should be legalized, for one thing im allergic to some of the things in cigarettes but with weed im completely ok, though as with laptop a always make sure im not doing anything that day, like minecrafting >_>
Minecraft is actually quite fun when you're high..

I've currently stopped smoking since last week because I have an important exam in about a month, so I don't play it high anymore.. But before I stopped I was smoking everyday for about 5 months, so it very likely you've seen me high on the server. After a while its like your body gets used to the high and it develops the capability to act normal in front of other people...
arogon343 wrote:Though having everyone high for a day would be interesting...
Theres some places in California where everyone is high... Its quite funny... In San Francisco, where I live, theres a park where everyone comes to smoke at any time of the day... You can even go there at 7am and you'll find people smoking marijuana...

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 17 May 2011, 13:21

highaha.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CaSquall

Post by CaSquall » 29 May 2011, 13:39

EDIT: I approve of the above post^
Legalize it.
Being a user of Mary Jane for quite some time now, and having taking a big interrest in the politics behind it I see no other option than legalize it. Too much propaganda has been spread about it, and most (if not all) "bad" things thats been said about it are untrue, being made up to scare the population. Marijuana have a ton of uses, not only medically but also on a borader scale. We could lessen our use of wood (and our destruction of the natural ecosystem) to a minimun as the MJ plant has the strongest fibers in the world, we could replace all of our paper production by using MJ plants just to name one other reason besides recreational use. So many people do it anyway and it's not even a taboo this day and age. But sadly the goverment as we know it is crazy corrupt, and the reason why it doesn't just get legalized even though all evidence tells to do it, is that it is profitable as hell while being illegal. Here in Denmark MJ (or Hash the type we smoke) is worth more than GOLD by the ounce and the top dogs on this planet loves that fact, and none of the profits has to go to the system to be distributed evenly to the population. This way all of the money just goes to "the elite" without having to share it with anyone.

We the people have the freedom of thought, but we exchanged that to be rid of having to take responsability for our actions. NOTHING in on this planet should be illegal it should all be up to the individual free-thinking person, but we are too scared to think for ourselfs so we just make every problem we hit upon illegal.
If you don't like drugs, dont use them. If you have a problem with someone else using drugs, you're a sad person who should mind your own business instead of being too preoccupied with what everyone else is doing.

Actions = Consequence. Laws are humanity's way of "telling the grown-ups" instead of thinking for ourselfs, this fact is the reason why this planet is going to hell.
But I smell a revolution coming soon, hopefully.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 29 May 2011, 16:23

CaSquall wrote:If you have a problem with someone else using drugs, you're a sad person who should mind your own business instead of being too preoccupied with what everyone else is doing.
I like the way this man thinks. I hate it when people take an interest in the personal welfare of their friends and persuade them to stop destroying themselves with drugs - cuts right into my profits.

CaSquall

Post by CaSquall » 30 May 2011, 05:17

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
CaSquall wrote:If you have a problem with someone else using drugs, you're a sad person who should mind your own business instead of being too preoccupied with what everyone else is doing.
I like the way this man thinks. I hate it when people take an interest in the personal welfare of their friends and persuade them to stop destroying themselves with drugs - cuts right into my profits.
I was talking to people not related to drug-users in any way, who just presumes their opinion has more weight than the free-will of others. Addiction and drug related problems are of course the concern of family and loved ones.
Could you tell your associates that I will, for a small sum(preferably Mary Jane), keep quiet about all matters concerning your livelyhood :D

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 08 Jun 2011, 13:09

No.

Last edited by Lord_Mountbatten on 08 Jun 2011, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thanks for helping the discussion.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 09 Jun 2011, 13:51

Sir_Luke wrote:No.
If you dont want to actually say anything other than No then gtfo!

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 09 Jun 2011, 14:17

EricSmarties wrote:

I'm sorry... Just who are you to tell anyone on these boards to "gtfo"? Are you an admin? A server op? Forum moderator? Is it even your thread? Let's see... the answer is "NO", on all counts. So... perhaps you should quiet down, and take your seat back in the peanut gallery.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 09 Jun 2011, 14:18

Cho wrote:
EricSmarties wrote:

I'm sorry... Just who are you to tell anyone on these boards to "gtfo"? Are you an admin? A server op? Forum moderator? Is it even your thread? Let's see... the answer is "NO", on all counts. So... perhaps you should quiet down, and take your seat back in the peanut gallery.
ok yeah sorry its just makes me mad that people just comment with no or yes so i apologise again.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 09 Jun 2011, 19:41

All I'll say is: Do you care to elaborate?

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 10 Jun 2011, 17:57

This legal yet?
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 10 Jun 2011, 20:49

"Legalize Marijuana?" "No."
Contributive.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.