Legalize Marijuana?

A place for mature discussion on religious and political philosophies.
DuplicateValue
Retired

Re: Legalize Marijuana?

Post by DuplicateValue » 10 Jun 2011, 22:08

Yeah but, any particular reason?

What's your argument against it?

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 11 Jun 2011, 08:35

My father used to take it, he said it was fun for the time being but in the long run it ruined his life.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 11 Jun 2011, 11:09

Sir_Luke wrote:My father used to take it, he said it was fun for the time being but in the long run it ruined his life.
Well I'm sorry to hear that. I understand how that makes you hate marijuana, but alcohol is legal and it has destroyed more lives.

I'm not trying to say your story is crap, or its not as important as alcohol abuse, but on the "should it be legal" stand point, marijuana is not a famous substance to be a life destroyer.

It's known to make people lazy, and sometimes get to the point of "you're not doing anything with your life, you're just smoking pot all day" for some people...
As for alcohol abuse, which is known to hurt a lot of people, and more so the people around the abuser...

Anyone can be traumatized by abuse of a substance. Its something that happens, people abuse. I personally don't see marijuana as one of the dangerous things to abuse.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 11 Jun 2011, 19:34

The main problem that I see with smoking pot is the "smoking" part. Inhaling stuff into your lungs is generally not good for them - whether it's cigarettes, cigars, pot, or even smoke from wood burning fires.

One issue that I think is overlooked is how the paper industry has used illegal marijuana as a reason to disallow growing and producing products with industrial hemp. (Industrial hemp does not get you high.) And hemp is better for our ecology in many ways. If marijuana were legal, it would be eaiser to overturn the laws against growing hemp.

But pretty much, as long as alcohol and cigarettes are legal, I think marijuana should be legal as well. For one thing, it could be regulated and taxed. Regulations could help ensure against it being laced with other drugs (that the user is unaware of).
--Tulonsae

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 11 Jun 2011, 20:26

If it sells, It'll be on the market with a pretty warning label. Why not weed ?

Warning: Will F U UP
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

trainreqx2

Post by trainreqx2 » 11 Jun 2011, 20:30

Nope.
More than just a no, I mean seriously, what's Marijuana good for? It's not gonna be good for our economy. Why?
1. People become addicts to pot.
2. People run out of $$
3. People sell their stuff at dirt cheap prices for pot.
4. People steal from other people.
5. Crime rate goes up.
6. Killings goes up.
7. Marijuana is illegalized.
Plus, if Marijuana is a well-known recreational drug, do you really think all these "regulations" are going to keep people from harming other people while their high? No! Texting and driving is illegal, yet all my friends new to driving are doing it, most of them have totaled their first cars.
Smoking/Drinking is illegal for underage kids, and yet did anyone hear the story about the pedofile that gave some boys cigarettes in return for spanking them? Exactly, people break rules, and sure, if they kill someone justice will be served, but what are you gonna say to the family? "Oh, I'm sorry that my son was high and ran over your daughter, at least he'll spend life in prison." If I was the dad, I wouldn't be pretty happy about it.
I also have a friend that is struggling with pot addiction, she's been doing fairly bad lately, and its been a few weeks since I've talked to her, and so much s*** is happening to her, and it's very sad that her life is pretty much ruined.
Also, when you smoke pot, you smoke for the high, and the one day, you'll need so much pot for getting high that you will either end up in a hospital bed, or inside a casket, I don't know about you, but I don't wanna spend the rest of my life on a respirator, with my parents as my "peeps," or death coming at me faster than it should.
Beauty is why God invented eyeballs and her booty is why God invented my balls.

Post by 697134002 » 11 Jun 2011, 22:22

trainreqx2 wrote:Snip
Your comment about needing more and more for the high is the best point, in my opinion.

A high is generated when drugs mess up our bodies. Our bodies usually fight it off better the next time. This repeats. Soon, you'll be needing 10 times as much of the drug to get the same high. That leads to overdose. Overdose often leads to death.

As well, marijuana makes you, essentially, lazy. Combining it with any activities that require thinking or action, such as operating machinery or driving a vehicle, will have results similar to if you were falling asleep.

And giving it to patients in hospitals will just get them addicted to it. And if the person is in long-term care and needs it, they will eventually need so much that the hospital stops giving it to them. Then they will go through withdrawal.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 11 Jun 2011, 23:11

Marijuana is one of the least harmless drugs out there, legal or illegal.
people get hooked on prescribed pills all the time, alcohol abuse is rampant in our country, nicotine addiction is a major factor in the fact that so many people die yearly from smoking or chewing tobacco. I have seen personal close friends be complete fiends for pot but honestly the only repercussions I saw from that were they became a bit lazy and a little bit dumber than they were. while these types of people were able to fairly easily put their lives back in order after they stopped smoking pot all the damn time I still have other friends who relapse constantly on pills, alcohol, heroin, etc.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 12 Jun 2011, 10:23

697134002 wrote:That leads to overdose. Overdose often leads to death.
That's why selling marijuana generates excellent profit for me, due to people being able to keep coming back - there has never been any conclusive proof that one can ever overdose on marijuana.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 12 Jun 2011, 12:30

trainreqx2 wrote:Nope.
More than just a no, I mean seriously, what's Marijuana good for? It's not gonna be good for our economy. Why?
2. People run out of $$
5. Crime rate goes up.
6. Killings goes up.
Plus, if Marijuana is a well-known recreational drug, do you really think all these "regulations" are going to keep people from harming other people while their high? No! Texting and driving is illegal, yet all my friends new to driving are doing it, most of them have totaled their first cars.
Smoking/Drinking is illegal for underage kids, and yet did anyone hear the story about the pedofile that gave some boys cigarettes in return for spanking them? Exactly, people break rules, and sure, if they kill someone justice will be served, but what are you gonna say to the family? "Oh, I'm sorry that my son was high and ran over your daughter, at least he'll spend life in prison." If I was the dad, I wouldn't be pretty happy about it.
I also have a friend that is struggling with pot addiction, she's been doing fairly bad lately, and its been a few weeks since I've talked to her, and so much s*** is happening to her, and it's very sad that her life is pretty much ruined.
Also, when you smoke pot, you smoke for the high, and the one day, you'll need so much pot for getting high that you will either end up in a hospital bed, or inside a casket, I don't know about you, but I don't wanna spend the rest of my life on a respirator, with my parents as my "peeps," or death coming at me faster than it should.
Yes, and I had a friend who died from his alcohol addiction. Yes, the alcohol is what killed him. People do many of the same things you mention for alcohol. Why is that ok to be legal then?
--Tulonsae

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 12 Jun 2011, 12:33

697134002 wrote:
Your comment about needing more and more for the high is the best point, in my opinion.

A high is generated when drugs mess up our bodies. Our bodies usually fight it off better the next time. This repeats. Soon, you'll be needing 10 times as much of the drug to get the same high. That leads to overdose. Overdose often leads to death.

As well, marijuana makes you, essentially, lazy. Combining it with any activities that require thinking or action, such as operating machinery or driving a vehicle, will have results similar to if you were falling asleep.

And giving it to patients in hospitals will just get them addicted to it. And if the person is in long-term care and needs it, they will eventually need so much that the hospital stops giving it to them. Then they will go through withdrawal.
You don't go through a physical withdrawal when you stop smoking pot. That's true for other things, including cigarettes (nicotine addiction).

As for long-term medical care using pot, it does not act the way you describe. That's true for other drugs, tho - mostly legal ones.
--Tulonsae

Post by 697134002 » 12 Jun 2011, 12:35

Tulonsae wrote:
697134002 wrote:

You don't go through a physical withdrawal when you stop smoking pot. That's true for other things, including cigarettes (nicotine addiction).

As for long-term medical care using pot, it does not act the way you describe. That's true for other drugs, tho - mostly legal ones.
I meant mental withdrawal.
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 12 Jun 2011, 14:12

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
That's why selling marijuana generates excellent profit for me, due to people being able to keep coming back - there has never been any conclusive proof that one can ever overdose on marijuana.
Because there hasn't been any deaths related to marijuana abuse... In the case of a marijuana overdose you either get SUPER tired (just get some sleep), or you're trippin balls on an other planet (sleep/rest fixes that pretty fast)...

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 12 Jun 2011, 14:14

Laptop_mini wrote:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
Because there hasn't been any deaths related to marijuana abuse... In the case of a marijuana overdose you either get SUPER tired (just get some sleep), or you're trippin balls on an other planet (sleep/rest fixes that pretty fast)...
After research..
And a tad of experience.
True dat.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 12 Jun 2011, 14:18

A6RxV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 12 Jun 2011, 14:20

Pwned.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 12 Jun 2011, 14:21

If we legalize marijuana we can tax it and regulate it. Marijuana would no longer be known as a gateway drug. It is currently a gateway drug only because one must acquire it from a dealer who often sells more illicit more dangerous substances. In my opinion this is why younger pot smokers experiment with coke,pills, heroin, etc. They are already exposed to it from using their harmless drug of choice. You make marijuana legal then illicit pot dealers go out of business, people must buy from dispensaries, you make it an acceptable and safe thing to do like buying liquor. Additionally I would hope the new revenue stream from marijuana sales in the us would help us resolve the treatment issue, something our government has ignored in favor of a pointless and very expensive war on drugs. Treatment should be free or affordable to any citizen in need of it for recovery from every drug there is but we would rather dump tax dollars into policing a harmless plant and the people selling it.
We would also be legitimizing a very popular and money making natural resource and export. Many countries would benefit from legalizing pot in america. Colombia saw a huge resurgence in the wake of the cocaine boom but when the cartels were brought down due to pressure from the american government their whole country suffered. Not saying coke should be legalized but its a prime example of a natural resource being a very powerful force for an economy

Laptop_mini
Retired

Post by Laptop_mini » 12 Jun 2011, 15:20

ryn44 wrote:Marijuana would no longer be known as a gateway drug. It is currently a gateway drug only because one must acquire it from a dealer who often sells more illicit more dangerous substances.
Alcohol is the real gateway drug. You need to think of whats the first thing people do when they'e young. For me it was alcohol THEN marijuana. People don't say Alcohol is the gateway drug because its legal.

As for dealers, a pot dealer will only sell pot, or maybe shrooms. If you get coke, X or anything else its gonna be from someone else, because they don't involve the same contacts and the same risks. Trust me. People who deal marijuana don't deal other, more illicit, drugs because they're scarred of them (the heat they bring on you)...

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 12 Jun 2011, 15:23

From my experience in my late teens, and trust me there was plenty, I could have easily scored coke, x, crack, heroin, all from the same small group of guys that sold weed. I just never had the urge to. Obviously its different for every individual but that was my experience.

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 13 Jun 2011, 14:45

I honestly don't believe it's right in anyway to have to much of anything that changes your state of mind or scews it. This same exact argument is used for banning guns, and my simple test is, Can the object be useful to you in any way? If not then why waste your time and money getting stoned. But then again, people should have the right to buy it if they want to.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 13 Jun 2011, 14:53

Alchohol-Makes you a wife beater
Marijuana-Makes you a...um...pfft...pillow beater?
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

EricSmarties

Post by EricSmarties » 13 Jun 2011, 14:55

Time is not wasted my friend but on the other hand it does cost alot to buy weed. If i would smoke some i would go and do it maybe once a month and that would be with friends. The thing is its your own choice if you want to do drugs or dont. Sure theres peer pressure but in the end You allowed yourself to try it. Dont blame it on others. For me weed is like something to enjoy, you take it and the world seems happy for a period of time, you forget all the shit thats going on in your life but for some people its not enough and thats how they seek out harder drugs. In my opinion it doesnt matter how bad your life is at the moment just dont worry be happy now. ;)

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 13 Jun 2011, 17:32

.Id have to say that there are much worse things for you at the moment, if your going to abuse something keep it to the least harmful...
Last edited by arogon343 on 15 Jun 2011, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 13 Jun 2011, 18:58

Any substance can be abused, legal or not.

That said, I would rather see alcohol and the wacky tobacky trade spots in terms of legality.

trainreqx2

Post by trainreqx2 » 14 Jun 2011, 09:57

Tulonsae wrote:
trainreqx2 wrote:Nope.
2. People run out of $$
5. Crime rate goes up.
6. Killings goes up.
Yes, and I had a friend who died from his alcohol addiction. Yes, the alcohol is what killed him. People do many of the same things you mention for alcohol. Why is that ok to be legal then?
Because alcohol is a different thing. When you drink, you dont drink to get drunk, some idiots do, but most people only drink a few beers with some friends, and that's fine, because it doesn't harm anyone. Drunk people kill people. High people kill people, so yes, they both are bad, but when you smoke pot, you will always smoke to get high, and about the withdrawal thing, going back to my pothead friend, she's tried stopping many times, and notice how she can't, because your body may not physically need the pot, but once you're an addict, your brain needs the pot or else, it starts f**king up.

trainreqx2

Post by trainreqx2 » 14 Jun 2011, 10:06

SneakyPie wrote:Any substance can be abused, legal or not.

That said, I would rather see alcohol and the wacky tobacky trade spots in terms of legality.
Thank you.
Have you heard of the idiots getting high on Freon? Or about some other idiots getting high on bath salts. WTF has the world gotten to? o.o

Minazen

Post by Minazen » 18 Jun 2011, 22:33

I don't let any law against it stop me from enjoying a hit or two with some friends. Let it stay illegal, more for the people who know how to get it to rub in the faces of those who don't.

Fuzz422365117

Post by Fuzz422365117 » 06 Jul 2011, 22:55

No.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 06 Jul 2011, 23:27

Fuzz422365117 wrote:No.
Fuzz, you don't even know what marijuana is, much less its effects. Pretty much everyone agrees that it's a lot less dangerous than tobacco, and that's already legal. So why not marijuana as well?

Post by 697134002 » 06 Jul 2011, 23:35

Godavari wrote:
Fuzz422365117 wrote:No.
Fuzz, you don't even know what marijuana is, much less its effects. Pretty much everyone agrees that it's a lot less dangerous than tobacco, and that's already legal. So why not marijuana as well?
Awesome first sentence.