The Building Of the Imperial City: Diggin is DONE!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
Infesord
Retired

Re: The Building Of the Imperial City: Now with moar work!

Post by Infesord » 08 Oct 2011, 01:35

Random I can post some new pictures for ya and the community. Considering how much work me and Eddietester (and many other volunteers) have done in the last little bit it's a good time to do so.

I'm actually glad that I actually have an official update from my end at the bottom to say that:

Level 4, South East Corner 100% Cleared!

and honestly, eddietester has made HUGE waves of change on the top cause he has a lot more randomness and mess to deal with and mostly doing work by pick and shovel rather than explosives sometimes.

To answer Blackadder's Question: Well it was pretty cool I suppose. I never got into Oblivion at all I really tried too. Guess it just wasn't my thing. But it was 5 bucks on a steam sale so I figured I'd give it a try regardless. I really wanted to work on the Imperial City on Escapecraft for 2 big reasons:

1: I wanted a project to sink my teeth into that would take A REALLY long time to do so I wouldn't be as bored with Minecraft as I was before. And removing mass chunks systematically just comes naturally to me than building. Although recently I have made a few cool things in creative and in [SECRET WORLD] that I am proud of that I did when I was bored and tired of IC for a bit.

2: When I saw that article on the Escapist, I was saddened when I actually looked at the project and saw how far behind it really was because of lack of volunteers due to whatever reason. I kinda do miss the days of there being so many people working simultaneously together and when we still needed to research ways of how to approach the huge mass of rocks and dirt to remove it. I wanted the project that got a devoted article on a popular website I frequent to actually be completed and say "yeah I was a part of that massive thing".

Anyway, here are some new pictures of the area we are working on:

2011-10-08_00.28.26.png
2011-10-08_00.27.56.png
2011-10-08_00.27.21.png
Also note the new way to get to the bottom of the Imperial City to see White Gold Tower from the ground... safely.
2011-10-08_01.03.42.png
I should also note I am in the process of cleaning up the warehouse a bit. There is a lot of frame rate issues up there, probably from all the particles effects. I already removed all the fire netherrack over a month ago because lets face it no one uses the warehouse to store blocks to payment nor is smashing and burning boxes and items a good way to clear a chest for payment, at least not anymore. But inside still is a huge mess I need to remove empty or near-empty boxes and tidy the place up a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 08 Oct 2011, 05:55

Inf its actualy the signs that cause the lag. Notch renders each letter on them individually... :?
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 08 Oct 2011, 10:35

Blackadder51 wrote:Random Question Time!

When you first discovered the Imperial City in Oblivion what did you think of it?
If I ever get around to playing to, my reaction will probably be something like "Coool" or "Oh. This is what all that fuss was about?"
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 09 Oct 2011, 01:46

vallorn wrote:Inf its actualy the signs that cause the lag. Notch renders each letter on them individually... :?
Really? Oh wow. I'll keep that in mind.

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 09 Oct 2011, 07:23

also he always renders all signs, regards of if you can see them or not.

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 09 Oct 2011, 08:14

I sense a mass purging of signs approaching...

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Oct 2011, 10:12

*happily adds more signs to Darkhaven*
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

snory8

Post by snory8 » 15 Oct 2011, 23:29

I snory8 have been working in the ic mines for some time now and would like to help with building the city.

Qualifications: Id like to think im a great builder and can listen to instructions well
I have played through oblivion enough to know each and every detail in the game down to building names
I have a strong want and am anxious to start helping

Sincerely snory8

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 20 Oct 2011, 01:34

Figured I'd post an update of some kind. Eddietester I believe has smoothed out all of the top of level 8 (he actually was really clearing most of what would have been level 9) and will begin shaving level 8 down bit by bit. I on the otherhand have been chewing away at Level 5 a fair bit on the top half and shouldn't be too long before we proceed on the bottom half of level 5. As well I guess since I gave an update to one individual on this I figured I should share it with everyone here too. Basically a birds eye view of the project and how things are looking thus far:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9201/imp ... essoct.jpg

Things are looking good so far so keep up the good work :)

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 20 Oct 2011, 14:50

Hey Infesord currenty ran out of tnt for the clearing of level 4 i think so when your not on is there someone else i can look to 4 supplies?

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 21 Oct 2011, 19:03

Hey alexbluewave, yeah I wouldn't recommend anyone else but me for supplies dealing with IC since I need to supervise the amount given and what not. The only other person you can ask is Blackadder51 if you somehow catch him online, but hes not on much as I am. Hes the one who gave me clearance for this sort of thing. I'll have a look at your boxes and give em another load of supplies as necessary.

By the way, you are thinking of level 5. Level 4 is all done on the Southeast corner. I know its kinda confusing because the "ground floor" is level 4 but thats only because all below is done and that used to be levels 1, 2 and 3.

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 21 Oct 2011, 20:22

Ok got the tnt and i have never seen Blackadder51 so i guess i will look to you thanks dude.

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 22 Oct 2011, 15:35

I have pmed lionheart to ask to be on the build and he is not responding i was wandering if anyone else could add me i have waited 3 weeks.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 23 Oct 2011, 04:35

Sorry man, but Lionheart is the one who came up with the idea for this project and hes building to his design. perchance we can get something from him once all the digging is done, but who knows till then.

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 23 Oct 2011, 08:30

Well Blackadder51 what about you could you add me in?

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 23 Oct 2011, 08:33

Lion is heading up the build team, ill shoot him a PM as well.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 23 Oct 2011, 13:40

Yeah because to be fair it has been A LONG time since any building work has been done on the city, and it would be nice to see it added to while we work on the digging as it really helps psychologically, espiecally when one day we were starting to dig on level4 way back when and they started to put the outer walls in.

It would also be nice for lionheart just to see some more progress on the digging project has a whole, as we have made great strides since he last checked. That is unless of course he has another acount and checks it in secret :shock: not that I can find any reason why he would ;)

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 31 Oct 2011, 18:23

Okay little minor update, there have been a few changes to protocol with handouts at IC. At the moment I am still giving diamond tools (and other special tools to those I trust) and torches to those that work and need it. However I am unable to continue handing out TNT to players, at least in any large amount. Lots of people rather like just digging by hand anyway and for someone like eddietester hopefully I can work something out with him. However if you are working and I am around we you can work with me and the TNT that I get to use with the project.

Also, in the past few weeks I have come across some interesting situations at IC that have created some interesting pictures, check em out:
Imperial City Tunnel.png
Ugly Mess Cave.png
Ugly Mess After.png
Otherwise both levels 5 and levels 8 are making steady progress. Level 5 should be done sometime this week I am hoping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 31 Oct 2011, 20:05

Cool pics and special tools? gotta check that out. I have not been able to work at ic fow some time i am afraid to much i have been very busy with.....other matters of importance, i will try to get back soon, think i got time tommarow.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 04 Nov 2011, 01:25

Update: Level 5 Southeast Corner 100% removed!

Can't really think of anything else to do this really. I am now proceeding to level 6 and beginning to shape that area for removal.

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 17 Nov 2011, 01:33

Update: Level 8 Southeast Corner 100% cleared!

A little late but I might as well log it. I haven't had much time on Escapecraft due to having 2 near-full time jobs at the moment.

Thanks to some more introspection and experience. I am NOT digging lower levels first. I will instead have everyone focus at the highest points first then moving down as they clear up. The reason for this is because I have absolutely had it with gravel. If Gravel was like dirt in that it didn't fall down and create weird messes in the layers I wouldn't have a problem with the fact it's blast resistance is less than stellar. Working up top means that encountering gravel only means dealwith the low blast resistance and no having to shovel out its mess caused by gravity.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 17 Nov 2011, 19:21

Another layer bites the dust. Yay!

I would add that in my opinion, within this context the topmost platform serves no purpose once it is cleared. Removing it as we proceed allows the recycling of torches (So many torches....) as well as daylight clearance of mobs.
Which leads to this:

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 19 Nov 2011, 09:40

Can a mod please add me to the IC cuboid perms please? Would be good if i can help out :)

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 19 Nov 2011, 15:16

Sag185, I've gone ahead and added you. As well I set up a box (with tools inside) for you at the very end of the line of boxes we have set up near our work area (the southeast corner) if you are unsure where to go, ask the in game for someone and see if they know what I am talking about to guide you.

sag185
Retired

Post by sag185 » 19 Nov 2011, 17:14

Thats very much infe :D

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 26 Nov 2011, 02:44

Quick note regarding efficient use of tnt: Now that the max depth a pick can reach is 5 blocks, we can remove more cobble per blast than before. Dig 5 deep, place the tnt 3 blocks back, and detonate. This will clear a 3x3x6 volume with minimal cleanup required.
Which leads to this:

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 26 Nov 2011, 03:20

Very true eddietester, except I thought you could only dig in 4? Anyway, If you guys decide to use your own TNT, please use eddietester's method of digging all the way in for maximum TNT damage. The only reason I do it my way is because I don't have to conservative with TNT and simply dig in enough so the TNT always does the work for me so there is no cleanup (besides holes left by the explosions on dirt and gravel. As well digging in only 2 and not 4 cuts drilling time in half or even more, but obviously uses more TNT.

As well, if there are platforms that need to go you can just let me handle it. Eddietester's method of using TNT to remove platforms works remarkably well and so I can just take care of it.

*edit*

So apparently 1.0.0 allows us to reach an additional block in distance so you can dig in 5 blocks and not 4, and this also means that if you stand at the bottom of one platform of one level you can reach and break the roof of the floor above without jumping. I wonder if this is a bug or Notch intended to buff the reach range.

D4nny

Post by D4nny » 01 Dec 2011, 15:43

Epic, epic idea.

NOW DO SOLITUDE.

Once I learn the map I'll be happy to help btw :)

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 01 Dec 2011, 18:08

What on earth do you mean by "Now do Solitude" ?

Anyway, if you catch me online I can set you for up for work at IC. Another mod might be able too but you'd best wait for me.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 01 Dec 2011, 19:09

Infesord wrote:What on earth do you mean by "Now do Solitude" ?

Anyway, if you catch me online I can set you for up for work at IC. Another mod might be able too but you'd best wait for me.
Solitude is one of the city's in Skyrim.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!