The USSR general discussion thread!

A place for Teams, Cities, and Groups to have dedicated threads
vallorn

Re: The USSR (Saphiri) general discussion thread!

Post by vallorn » 11 Jun 2011, 17:21

Byroe wrote:
Volstag9 wrote:I really dont think anyone uses the wiki. Well at least i don't.

But i will say this, as i have said it 500 times before.

*ahem*

I DONT HAVE TO BE THE ONE WHO EDITS THE WIKI

PLEASE. i don't even know why you ask me about everything. Its not a big deal.

As for the PvP base. I still want to make a more secret one. What happened to Luke's castle is evidence of that.
what happened to luke's castle?
Mike "Undermined" the walles with a Shton of TNT... the results are Spectacular.

that reminds me i need to reward him! :twisted:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

random980

Post by random980 » 12 Jun 2011, 03:32

vallorn wrote:
Byroe wrote:
Volstag9 wrote:I really dont think anyone uses the wiki. Well at least i don't.

But i will say this, as i have said it 500 times before.

*ahem*

I DONT HAVE TO BE THE ONE WHO EDITS THE WIKI

PLEASE. i don't even know why you ask me about everything. Its not a big deal.

As for the PvP base. I still want to make a more secret one. What happened to Luke's castle is evidence of that.
what happened to luke's castle?
Mike "Undermined" the walles with a Shton of TNT... the results are Spectacular.

that reminds me i need to reward him! :twisted:
Vallorn. You have made a very twisted and annoying enemy within the PvP world :twisted: .
Outside of the PvP world i still need your halp with connecting the 2 Saphiri stations :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 12 Jun 2011, 05:08

i have successfully downgraded to 1.5, so i can play again.
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."

random980

Post by random980 » 13 Jun 2011, 08:29

Is everyone OK if i make changes (adding the foundation for the second rail) to our USSR elevated rail line by myself? If someone else is on you are welcome to help me :D
Eekum Bokum

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 13 Jun 2011, 10:46

random980 wrote:Is everyone OK if i make changes (adding the foundation for the second rail) to our USSR elevated rail line by myself? If someone else is on you are welcome to help me :D
Random me and the other ERTA guys were wondering if your elevated line shouldnt be dual tracked. a single line has a far greater risk of crashes than a dual one.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 13 Jun 2011, 14:17

random980 wrote:Is everyone OK if i make changes (adding the foundation for the second rail) to our USSR elevated rail line by myself? If someone else is on you are welcome to help me :D
As i said before, do whatever you need to do Random
USSR. United. Soviet. Saphirian. Republiks. That's how you spell it.

random980

Post by random980 » 15 Jun 2011, 02:45

After hijacking the USSR mob-tower string chest (yes i took all of it. If its a problem ill go out of my way to put some back) 2.5 more plots and a fancy new balcony for the spleef lounge has been added onto Solar City. More expansions will come after i get more cobble. The link between Saphiri station and my elevated rail has been built thanks to the help of vallorn and tehbeard. The second line for the elevated rail is being built still. Donations of rails will be needed.
Eekum Bokum

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 15 Jun 2011, 13:59

Ask Korten, i think he has some.

powerfulkingt
Team Enigma

Post by powerfulkingt » 17 Jun 2011, 03:25

I'm sorry if you were annoyed at all, but I'm changing the town name back to Blackthorn. Everyone is so used to it I just can't change it.
~The Fulk
ImageImage

random980

Post by random980 » 17 Jun 2011, 09:18

aww.
I was really looking forward to calling it Freezeezy Peak...

(where are people getting/making those "achievement get!" signatures?)
Eekum Bokum

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 17 Jun 2011, 09:37

random980 wrote:aww.
I was really looking forward to calling it Freezeezy Peak...

(where are people getting/making those "achievement get!" signatures?)
click on em.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

random980

Post by random980 » 17 Jun 2011, 09:49

I tried clicking them before but it didnt work... worked this time though!
Thoughts on my signature anyone? (its a reference to Simpsons road rage)
Eekum Bokum

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 17 Jun 2011, 11:50

random980 wrote: Thoughts on my signature anyone? (its a reference to Simpsons road rage)
Aw, not Hit and Run?

Loved that game.

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 17 Jun 2011, 12:26

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
random980 wrote: Thoughts on my signature anyone? (its a reference to Simpsons road rage)
Aw, not Hit and Run?

Loved that game.
I could never finish that last mission, bloody impossible...
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 17 Jun 2011, 12:45

Yeah I had trouble with the last mission too... It's been a while since I've played it though.

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

random980

Post by random980 » 17 Jun 2011, 12:50

arogon343 wrote:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:
Aw, not Hit and Run?

Loved that game.
I could never finish that last mission, bloody impossible...
I beat it... 8-)
(on the millionth try sure, but i beat it nevertheless)
A good tip is to NOT take the shortcut through the graveyard. I always smashed into those bloody tombstones...
Also drive fast but take corners slow. If you happen to ever play Hit and Run again remember those tips. (i could always sell it to you (PC version) over e-bay...) (I also have a magazine with cheats for the game.)
Back to the point. What you think of da new signature?
Funny? or Lame?
(the reference is a line Chief Wiggum says when you have him as a passenger and you destroy something)
Eekum Bokum

random980

Post by random980 » 19 Jun 2011, 00:56

I was told i have to re-apply to be apart of the USSR guild.
Why is the USSR closing anyway? Its not like anything will change. We are all still independent towns joined by a name and a flag. tbh i didnt see volstag run much anyway :lol:
Im still holding the title of "a USSR town" on Solar City. If Saphiri is no longer the capital of the USSR and all towns are even, can we build our new USSR guild headquarters on the massive landclaim in fyra i have!? :D
Also can we work on the USSR mob tower to make it faster? It really doesnt hold the title of "Biggest and Fastest Mob Tower well". If the Mob tower spans from land to bedrock and the killing chamber is just above the bedrock. Whats in-between? Can i suggest we copy and make multiple killing chambers situated on top of each other, all connected to the the single water stream that carries all the drops to the end?
More chambers=more mobs=more deaths=more drops=PROFIT!
Someone has also been putting random objects into the storage chest...
Eekum Bokum

Sir_Luke

Post by Sir_Luke » 19 Jun 2011, 14:46

What ever is happening, I declare Cottonmouth castle to be the HQ of the military branch of the USSR.
It needs to be about, 20% cooler.

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 19 Jun 2011, 18:54

random980 wrote:I was told i have to re-apply to be apart of the USSR guild.
Why is the USSR closing anyway? Its not like anything will change. We are all still independent towns joined by a name and a flag. tbh i didnt see volstag run much anyway :lol:
Im still holding the title of "a USSR town" on Solar City. If Saphiri is no longer the capital of the USSR and all towns are even, can we build our new USSR guild headquarters on the massive landclaim in fyra i have!? :D
Also can we work on the USSR mob tower to make it faster? It really doesnt hold the title of "Biggest and Fastest Mob Tower well". If the Mob tower spans from land to bedrock and the killing chamber is just above the bedrock. Whats in-between? Can i suggest we copy and make multiple killing chambers situated on top of each other, all connected to the the single water stream that carries all the drops to the end?
More chambers=more mobs=more deaths=more drops=PROFIT!
Someone has also been putting random objects into the storage chest...
Alright, heres the deal. I wrote that other post at 12am so i was quite tired.

The USSR is disbanding, Completly. The reason for this is believe it or not, running a country in MC is a challenging and un-fun affair. It put tremendous stress on both me and Byroe. I wont go into detail, but it wasn't good. We had to settle disputes, think up new projects, make alliances and essentially run everything. Byroe did a lot of it, thats true. In fact he did most of it. I think i just realized before he did that it was both pointless and generally un fun. Thats what you were supposed to do in a game, have fun.

Essentially by closing our doors, we are cutting ties. Blackthorn is even more independent now. and can do what it wants whenever. (sure it already did that but now it will probably have less support) As for the whole "guild" thing. That was more of a metaphor. I want as all to remain friends in game, still do crazy things like building that mobtower. Or that base which i promise we'll do soon (if we manage to all be on at the same time). Maybe we can build a guildhall. That actually might be a nice idea. We still need something to link us together more and that might be nice.

I suppose you could say nothing is changing, you might be right. But at least it takes off a lot of the stress for Byroe and I. A lot more than you can think.

Concerning the Mobtower, In between is a large number of darkened areas with waterfalls, mobs spawn, they fall, then they die on the cactus or lava. (didn't you remove the cactus?) as for the speed, i think its mainly due to server lag. Previously it spawned fine, so i'd say give it some time, your idea would take a lot of reworking, as we have to gut the entire thing. Plus it might be tougher.

As one final note, while saphiri still exists this has probably lessened its power significantly. This makes me think of Corinth which is the oldest EMPIRE as of now (i believe it always was). Seeing all the struggles i went through makes me wonder how do they do it? I wonder that a lot. I know they changed leaders several times but they probably know better than anyone that being a leader is an extremely aggravating job. I know that they changed leaders a few times, but it seems no one was really willing (At least Byroe).

Hopefully that clears one or two things up. I didn't proofread this very well, so excuse errors.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 19 Jun 2011, 19:46

We're just awesome here in Corinth.
What do you plan to actually do with Saphiri? Will it remain simply a town, and no longer part of the USSR?

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 19 Jun 2011, 20:27

aflycon wrote:We're just awesome here in Corinth.
What do you plan to actually do with Saphiri? Will it remain simply a town, and no longer part of the USSR?
Ah come on! there must be a secret!

Since the USSR is gone Saphiri will just remain a town. You still might see our flag at a few places. But that no longer represents the USSR, just Saphiri. (Random you can keep the flag up, if you still want, just put up your own flag nearby to limit confusion if you want). Truth is i cared more about Saphiri then the USSR, that place was always my pride and joy. So finally i may be able to work on that place more and bring it back to its former glory as lets be honest, things are slowing down there.

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 19 Jun 2011, 21:31

you know ive been thinking, when the mob tower gives you drops, dont make tnt, make the mob tower take the gunpowder back! get mad! i don't want your damn drops! what the hell am i suppost to do with these. make the tower keep the drops in the chests! demand to see the mob towers manager. make it regret the day it tried to give me extra drops!
(moral of the story, don't be selfish about the drops, if there is something in the chest, don't take it. we took time standing under the tower, you should too. we may be planning to use the drops, only to realize that someone took them. and if you have any extra drops you don't need, please put them in the chests.)
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."

random980

Post by random980 » 20 Jun 2011, 01:11

The thing that i really dont get is, what pressure there was in running the USSR? It was like a guild for towns. All the towns were independent but had each other for support. Tbh i only saw you two as the owners of Saphiri and not the leaders of the USSR but only figure heads. We all played a roll in leading the USSR except for the fact that we all put more pressure on you (volstag) to do things BECAUSE you were the self appointed leader. If the stress of being the sole leader of the USSR is to much then that is probably because we are all to lazy to manage the alliances and run things ourselves.

Here is my idea. Keep the USSR standing but dont force yourself to be the sole leader. Make the head of the USSR a council comprised of the leaders of each USSR city. Therefore each town rules itself and we only come together as the USSR to do awesome projects. This would cut the stress of leading the USSR alone and put more focus on doing fun stuff. Today can mark the day the USSR becomes a U.N. council instead of a monarchy empire that sucks the fun out of everything.
PLEASE DONT sever the tie that is the USSR, if nothing drastic is going to change and we are all going to support each other anyway.

My first project idea: Lets all work on a replica of Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie! (not Tooie)

Also i DID post that i was going to, and have, hijacked the string chest. I did it once and i will put some back.
I suggest if anyone of us takes large amounts from the storage chests that they post it here before hand.
Eekum Bokum

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 20 Jun 2011, 10:22

random980 wrote:The thing that i really dont get is, what pressure there was in running the USSR? It was like a guild for towns. All the towns were independent but had each other for support. Tbh i only saw you two as the owners of Saphiri and not the leaders of the USSR but only figure heads. We all played a roll in leading the USSR except for the fact that we all put more pressure on you (volstag) to do things BECAUSE you were the self appointed leader. If the stress of being the sole leader of the USSR is to much then that is probably because we are all to lazy to manage the alliances and run things ourselves.

Here is my idea. Keep the USSR standing but dont force yourself to be the sole leader. Make the head of the USSR a council comprised of the leaders of each USSR city. Therefore each town rules itself and we only come together as the USSR to do awesome projects. This would cut the stress of leading the USSR alone and put more focus on doing fun stuff. Today can mark the day the USSR becomes a U.N. council instead of a monarchy empire that sucks the fun out of everything.
PLEASE DONT sever the tie that is the USSR, if nothing drastic is going to change and we are all going to support each other anyway.

My first project idea: Lets all work on a replica of Spiral Mountain from Banjo-Kazooie! (not Tooie)

Also i DID post that i was going to, and have, hijacked the string chest. I did it once and i will put some back.
I suggest if anyone of us takes large amounts from the storage chests that they post it here before hand.
You probably find this hard to believe, but there was a ton of stress behind the scenes. I never was a self appointed leader. Never was. I first fell into it back in Ver 2 because we just happened to start the town directly next to my old house. In ver 3 this sort of just stuck. I was fine with being leader on Ver 3 until people started taking this game way to seriously.

And i mean WAY too seriously.

First it was the small stuff. People would interrupt me on Steam, while i was playing some game and and ask if they could make some new plots. I would be a little annoyed, but i would carry on. But then it got worse. I'd be called upon to yell at some random player, or settle some dispute. Again this is fine. But then it started getting even worse. People got into arguments constantly and every time they came to me to settle it, apparently refusing to settle it themselves. When people got banned they either A) pinned the blame on me. or B) asked that i convince the mods to unban them.

But then people began treating this server like a roleplay server. People came to me with government ideas, or that we declare war on Corinth or Solake. I suppose in short amounts this is fine, but when you hear ideas on how we should invade another country it starts to go to far.

This never ended, as many times as i told them that this is just a game people never seemed to listen. I'm not even sure if they were joking or not.

I had to talk multiple friends out of quitting the game due to one problem or another. I hate to see a friend leave. I met some good people on the internet only to have them quit over some stupid as hell reason. It sucks. Having this imaginary government did not help.

I know that you say that there wasn't any real central government, like Corinth. You'd be right there wasn't. That still didn't stop people from believing that there was. Which of course just made more problems.

As for multiple leaders, believe me I TRIED. before you joined we had multiple leaders, that ended up being a horrible disaster as our government was bigger then are population. Currently our "government" works like this. A bunch of city Governors, and then Me and Byroe. The Governors part worked well. It was just the upper part that failed. I gave a few people positions over the last few months. Luke was supposed to be in charge of the military, while byroe was 2nd in command. Yet every single time, these guys and others always defaulted back to me. Its like no one could do anything by themselves! its like everyone was afraid of incurring my WRATH!

I tried to get Byroe to be the leader, he declined. Byroe if you ever read this maybe you can explain more about why this is a terribly stressful job. Ask yourself, would you want to be a leader!?!

If everyone still wants the USSR to exist then fine. But its mere existence made me dread logging on to MC everyday or here, or even Steam!

I'll be honest, most of of these things came from residents of saphiri, but were certainly increased when we became the USSR. All i want is for us all to remain friends and to have fun in this game again. I love Saphiri, i really do. Thats my pride and joy. I'll never give that up. I wont end the USSR completly (although i heard power already ripped down the flag, rather quickly in fact :/

You already saw the USSR as a guild, thats good, but it seems few others did. I want us to all be a group of friends who do cool stuff together and not have it all bogged down by political shit.

~Volstag9 as usual i barely proofread.

Please if you have time, do refill the string chest, i'll help if you need it.

random980

Post by random980 » 20 Jun 2011, 11:37

<Volstag's wall of awesome text>
More or less most people went back to you because you were the head leader and the others are afraid of doing something wrong by you. As for people interrupting your game, thats just stupid. Your the governor, not a court house judge.
"You already saw the USSR as a guild, thats good, but it seems few others did. I want us to all be a group of friends who do cool stuff together and not have it all bogged down by political shit."

I dont want to sound rude to anyone else but i honestly thought the whole USSR thing and being in command of whatnot was all satire. I actually DONT understand how people could have taken this so seriously, Its MINECRAFT, just go build and be terrorized by creepers. Our roles in the USSR are only to appoint who would be project manager depending on what and where we are making it. If its a fort. Luke would step in. If its an expansion to one of the towns, that town leader takes charge. If we replicate Spiral Mountain we all have equal say in what happens. If someone gets banned or griefed, its up to THEM and the mods to sort it out. If it involves someones plot, its their land so therefore THEIR problem. Not ours. If leading is becoming a chore, stop worrying and come onto minecraft to build not to rule. If something by chance has gone wrong while you are gone... Well thats why we have mods, cubeoids and the all mighty Ban-Hammer.
Dont take down USSR and DO take down the 'USSR ending thread'. All you have to do next time someone bugs you for being too serious just say, "fuck off and sort it out yourself" (well not that harsh) Or say, "So? How does this involve me?" Get a useless question, give a useless answer :D
We just have to get the message out that USSR is a group of friends not a system of government, and that we are satire just like CUT. If someone WANTS to be so serious we can tell them to go make there own god damn empire.
DONT. TAINT. OURS.
/rant
(can we actually work on re-creating spiral mountain at some point!? :D )
If people still dont learn we can all leave our city's, make a tiny HQ and JUST work on projects. new people to the group would have to be people we all know and like. Ive always seen towns as hubs for players to store stuff and to meet others to work on projects anyway.
(also when i can be bothered I will edit the wiki about the USSR.)

Role-playing in minecraft? really?
Eekum Bokum

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 20 Jun 2011, 13:33

Volstag, that's a taste of what being a moderator can be like.
random980 wrote: We just have to get the message out that USSR is a group of friends not a system of government, and that we are satire just like CUT.
You thought people got that message? Really?
Role-playing in minecraft? really?
Oh it happens.

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 20 Jun 2011, 16:04

i think random makes a great point.

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 20 Jun 2011, 21:51

I am rewiring the mob tower, adding new features and increasing performance. i require a ton of redstone. that is 2000Ibs or 907.18474kg of redstone. and the tower will be offline until the maintenance is done. (i have to keep the inside lit)

random980

Post by random980 » 21 Jun 2011, 01:15

I have around 5 stacks of redstone. I will put it in the funpowder chest if you are not on.
We are working on shit! YAY!
I would like to give out a genuine /facepalm all over srs-bis people.
AND CAN I GET A RESPONSE ON THE SPIRAL MOUNTAIN PROJECT GUYS!?
Eekum Bokum

random980

Post by random980 » 21 Jun 2011, 01:19

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Volstag, that's a taste of what being a moderator can be like.
If being a Mod is so stressful for some people i reckon a new rule should be set in place.
Only come to the mods if you cant (within existing rules) sort it out yourself. Mods are still just MC players to!
Eekum Bokum