Chat Channel Colors

Discuss the grand old digital Lego game.
Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Chat Channel Colors

Post by Tulonsae » 10 Nov 2017, 17:14

There have been various comments about the chat channel colors (that mostly I chose). I'm open to change. But I'd like to see the community weigh in. And staff, in particular, may have strong opinions.

Here are the colors:

Here are the names, for colors, that our chat plugin uses:
  • 0 - black
  • 1 - dark_blue
  • 2 - dark_green
  • 3 - dark_aqua
  • 4 - dark_red
  • 5 - dark_purple
  • 6 - gold
  • 7 - gray
  • 8 - dark_gray
  • 9 - blue
  • a - green
  • b - aqua
  • c - red
  • d - light_purple
  • e - yellow
  • f - white
And here are the current channel colors:
  • Global - white
  • Staff/Mods - green
  • Admin - red
  • Help - dark_aqua
  • Trade - light_purple
  • Local - yellow
  • Discord - aqua
  • Network - gold
Staff/Mods is only available to staff. Admin is only available to admins. Discord is only available to Escapians and staff. Network is intended for the connection to the future worlds that Haxx is working on. (Basically, interserver chat.)

I suggest that you respond with things you particularly like to stay the same as well as things you want to change. (If you care.)

Also note that I simply can't read (ingame) some of the very darkest colors. So if you pick any of those, you'll probably be wondering why I never respond to you. :)
--Tulonsae

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Re: Chat Channel Colors

Post by haxxorzd00d » 10 Nov 2017, 17:41

I would like to see staff channel be aqua and trade be gold, as they were since time immemorial. :) Could global chat perhaps go back to being grey as well? It was always nice to have it in that slightly muted colour. If not global then maybe use grey for the Network channel.

Oh and the blue colour (9) is pretty close to the Discord brand colour so would be a nice fit for that channel.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 11 Nov 2017, 16:59

haxxorzd00d wrote:
10 Nov 2017, 17:41
I would like to see staff channel be aqua and trade be gold, as they were since time immemorial. :) Could global chat perhaps go back to being grey as well? It was always nice to have it in that slightly muted colour. If not global then maybe use grey for the Network channel.

Oh and the blue colour (9) is pretty close to the Discord brand colour so would be a nice fit for that channel.
Okay, I can make those changes (gray and blue), but I probably won't be able to read those channels ingame. But then I pretty much can't read several of the player names anyway. I'll just have to depend on Discord and IRC to read what people say.

Edit: So after talking to players, they don't like the current colors either. And most seem to want the ones I can't read. So just ignore me. I'll have to deal.
--Tulonsae

Ifiwy

Post by Ifiwy » 11 Nov 2017, 17:25

I think its good as it is. Dont care all that much but I do suggest to stay with the lighter colours which are easier to see. And I like that the local chat is a colour that stands out a bit extra so that you can still easily keep track of the conversation with the people you are working with even if you do not follow the global chat. Another thing, If I may, is that I miss the private channels /msg [playername] or whatever it was. Lazy as I am its a bother to have to write /message [playername] [message] for every message you are sending if you are having a conversation with that person. Is there a reason that was removed?
I hope I made sence, it is getting late here. :P
Sorry in advance ._.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 11 Nov 2017, 17:31

Ifiwy,

No reason it was removed. I just haven't spent the time to figure out how to configure it. I have a ticket on it from Demon. I'll use your comment to move it up higher in priority, though.

Edit: I'm thinking of making that an Escapian perk.
--Tulonsae

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 12 Nov 2017, 03:34

Ifi, I've not tested recently but I believe you can still type /r <message> to reply directly to the last /message you received. Not quite as tidy as a private chat channel, but still easier than typing /message blah blah everytime.

And Tulon, I do agree with you on some of the darker colours being rather tough to read. Perhaps we can test with our "classic" chat colour set (global grey, local yellow, trade gold/orange, mods aqua, etc) and discuss from there if there's any we don't like. Not like it's a massive undertaking to change a colour after all :)

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 12 Nov 2017, 14:38

Yes, I fixed the /msg and the rest of the regular chat commands a few weeks ago.
--Tulonsae