Suggestions: Future of Escapecraft

Discuss the grand old digital Lego game.
sgtwisky
Retired

Suggestions: Future of Escapecraft

Post by sgtwisky » 08 Aug 2017, 16:45

I had a bunch of ideas for Escapecraft. Many of which can apply weather or not we wipe the server. Figured I would make a thread for myself and anyone else to post things they would like to see. I am going to assume a wipe when making these suggestions however just in case.

Tutorials/Information/Info dumping:
Spoiler! :
After thinking about it for a while, we have a lot of info that needs to be conveyed to a new player and available to reference for an established player. For instance a player would need to know how to use the chat channels, what survival worlds we have, weather or not we have a PvP, creative, or puzzle world, Who to ask for help, Where to find help on their own, server rules, how to claim land, how to use command signs, ect.

There are a few issues with communicating all this information. If the player gets bored, or overwhelmed by an extensive tutorial they are likely to just leave. If they on the other hand do not have enough information they may get annoyed and leave. And each player has completely different tolerances for both sides of the spectrum. Another issue that can arise is with established players. Maybe you learned how to use command signs but have not in a month. Your options are pretty limited. The main option every player will chose is to just ask in chat. Its always possible they are the only player online at the time, or that the players online also have forgotten or do not use command signs. In this instance we need a way for a player to have an easy reference.

The following are what I would suggest we do to educate new players, and aid old players.

1. We should go back to having a manditory tutorial. This tutorial should be as short as possible while communicating the bare minium a new player needs to know. This would include the following:
a. Server Rules
b. Basic chat channels and usage
c How to claim land
d. Our worlds, and/or game modes (survival, creative, pvp, ect)
e. Where to look for more help

2. We should have optional in-game "Modular" tutorials on non essential plugins, and info. This would include any additional plugins such as command signs, or placing rails on wood act as powered rails (do we still do this?). Each seprate subject would have a serrate tutorial for it. We should also allow players to access the basic (mandatory) tutorial, and the optional tutorials whenever they like from the HUB.

3. I've seen plugins where, when a player types in a command, they can recieve a book with a servers rules or instructions on games modes. This could be great for a reference book for players. Using something like /handbook to allow players to get a copy. If we go this route it should be written well and have an index in the book. If one book cannot contain everything, we can split the content up into two or more books.

4. We should have a section on the forums with all the info in the tutorials and handbook. These could also have pictures to aid players.

I think that by having things structured this way, we can introduce new players faster, and have references for them even if staff or other established players are not online. Redundancy is important too. With multiple ways to lookup information, a player may chose which ever way is most convenient for them. By making information easy to digest I think we will retian more new players then we currently do.

Towns and Settlements
:
Spoiler! :
Although I have seen and been a part of the building of player towns they have always been somewhat dull and lifeless once they were built. Sure you have multiple homes and public farms, but what then? One method is to wipe the server every 6 - 12 months. But that can lose as many players as burnout/boredom can. What we really need is a reason for towns to exist, and for players to keep building and playing in them. To help with that I would like to see the following:

0. We need some kind of criteria to determine if a town qualifies as a town. After a 1 or 2 player "town" isn't much of a town now is it? Not going to discuss the criteria here, as its not important for judging the merit of the following suggestions.

1. We should have Town based events. For example: we could run a building event where each town must design a monument, or specific type of building. We could have a "Themed" event for decorating a town for a holiday or something. Then a wining town can be determined and the town can receive some kind of reward. Maybe they get a special beacon, or structure, or something.

2. We should bring back the ideas that towns can get special structures. Things like the CUT Restaurant and CUT Hospital. We should expand on this to have ample incentives for towns to participate in events, or accomplish great "Achievements". Even something as small as a plaque in or just outside of the spawn area giving credit to a town for their accomplishments. Another benefit of being an accomplished town could be getting a direct TP pad near spawn to your town. Basically we need to do something to make towns and player teamwork worth it. These are just some brainstorming ideas on how.

Ran out of time so more to come in a latter post:
Possible Combat/PvP (Dual's and events)
Tieing Combat Events into Towns (not what you think I promise)
Rewards and Achievements for players to earn

In the mean time, discuss and post your own ideas for the future of Escapecraft. Maybe a few of these can inspire or guide Haxx, and other staff.
Opportunity knocks but once, Temptation leans on the door bell.

The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Re: Suggestions: Future of Escapecraft

Post by haxxorzd00d » 09 Aug 2017, 01:44

As I said to Ari and Deri on their posts, your ideas are actually very close to what I'm planning. I think we're all on the same page here; we just need to talk about it more.

Stay tuned, I'll try to update my roadmap today. :)

random980

Post by random980 » 09 Aug 2017, 05:49

I really like the ideas presented here, especially the town events, it's a major incentive to keep returning, adding and always building.

As for the forced tutorial, yes and no.
No because forcing people to wait around and read when they just want to jump in a play is a poor idea.
Yes because public services always need to be able to cater to the lowest common denominator (pulling a "Brad." Speaking of do we still have a meme-wiki?).

I think only a couple of eye catching signs when a new player lands is ideal, one that more or less says "like every other server we only ask that you behave and play nice, more info on rules, chat and basic functions over *here*." and another sign saying "if youre paying attention you can skip the tutorial by typing "/spawnHUB." non attentive and possibly uncooperative people would find themselves walking down the basic tutorial hall. Tbh almost all servers have the exact same basic rules, rules your average online player would expect to find. The only "mandatory" thing i'd have is basic chat commands as communication is the key to online.

EDIT: With plugins and server updates. WAITING BE DAMNED! update the server asap when needed, i'd rather play vanilla ignoring broken plugins than waiting a week for everything to be 'ready.' This was a major flaw with the old server, always waiting and waiting for it to be updated is really off putting especially for new and non loyal players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

sgtwisky
Retired

Post by sgtwisky » 09 Aug 2017, 20:03

I agree with you random about the updating. People can work around some temporary broken builds if they are informed it will be fixed as soon as it possibly can be.

The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.

sgtwisky
Retired

Post by sgtwisky » 09 Aug 2017, 21:09

Alright, time for me to post the second half. AND... after reading what Haxx wrote in the latest update, Some of this will be redundant. But I decided to write it so thats what I intend to do.

SO My main idea for PvP/Combat was going to center around a "Grand Arena". It would be a rather large structure but would have lots of options for PvP and Combat Events. A list of features I thought about and deemed possible:
1. Ability to toggle spawning of mobs (and have them "Enter" the arena) by the "Arena Master" - This can be used similar to the way Rome had Gladiators fight wild animals, or to interrupt a fight already in progress. You know. Give it that little extra spice.

2. The Grand Arena would feature traps that could be toggled by the Arena Master - Traps could include lava flows, arrow traps, Spike Pits (using cacti) ect. These again could be used to add veriety to Gladiator matches.

3. The ability to completely alter the arena's combat area. This is the best feature IMO. Using command blocks, it would be possible to swap the arena from say a standard combat field, to a dense jungle or labyrinth. It can be done at the push of a button. Doing this would allow compititions over various conditions and accomadate many events. Want to "Flood" the Arena and have a boat fight (I have an event idea revolving around this) sure! Want combat to take place on floating platforms above a lake of lava? Your wish is our command!

Aside from a kick ass arena geared to PvP / Mob Combat server events, I was going to suggest the ability for towns to have arena's in their town in order to practice for said events. Though those would likely not have #3. As #3 requires a lot of extra space and lots of command block usage. But their own home built arena's or a standard replica of the Grand Arena might work.

For achievements I was thinking that players could earn some titles from competing in these events. They would keep the title until someone else managed to claim it. Titles like: "Champion of the Arena" or "Gauntlet King" (for surviving the longest against endless mobs). Just some examples. This would also apply to other server events. So we can bring back our "Master Builder" for any big builds we do. We could also have "Contraption" contests where we ask players to put their redstone abilities to the test. A title for that may be something like "Grand Tinkerer" or something.

One final thought. If we ever wanted to add a mode similar to our EscapecraftZ event, it could be another easy diversion. Once finished, all mods would have to do is take a winner after 2 - 4 weeks and give them a title. Then reset the stats and let it run for another 2 - 4 weeks. Though its tons of work to get setup the first time if I remember right. But is just an example.