Poll #1: To Wipe or Not to Wipe?

Discuss the grand old digital Lego game.

How would you feel about a fresh start?

Wipe everything and start fresh. It's been 3 years, time for something new.
71%
Keep Horizons. I want to keep my builds and resources for future challenges.
7%
Bring back more worlds, TNA and beyond. I want ALL my stuff back.
21%

Total votes: 14

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Poll #1: To Wipe or Not to Wipe?

Post by haxxorzd00d » 04 Aug 2017, 10:21

One of my trio of polls to help shape the future of Escapecraft! (Note that this poll is not a final decision, the outcome will simply help me understand better what you guys want from the server.)

Horizons started back in mid-2014. It's had three years to evolve and grow, and it's seen versions from 1.8 up to 1.12. People have built some great things on the world, from big cities to elaborate redstone contraptions and everything in between.

But has Horizons outstayed its welcome? Are you sitting on a pile of diamond blocks in fully enchanted gear, wondering what to do next? If so, would you prefer something new to do with all that gear, like high-level challenges - or simply to wipe the server and start over again with a new set of challenges instead? Or perhaps you'd prefer to go back to the newly revived TNA, or even further back? I've given people that option with TNA, to revisit their builds and resources from back in 2014 - but is that something people actually want? Maybe you want everything we've ever built on one map, so you can stockpile seven years of stuff?

New content is coming, that much is certain. The question is, do you want to tackle it with your existing creations and gear, or dive headfirst into a new world with nothing but your wits and a cuboiding shovel? Let me know via the poll above!

PS. The puzzles and mini-games in Horizons would never be wiped. These would be moved to new Enigma, with extra bells and whistles.

sgtwisky
Retired

Re: Poll #1: To Wipe or Not to Wipe?

Post by sgtwisky » 04 Aug 2017, 14:33

I selected wipe but I would like to keep the current Vildare world.
Opportunity knocks but once, Temptation leans on the door bell.

The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 04 Aug 2017, 14:34

Oh, here's a thing:

If we wipe, I may come up with a way for you to cash in your loot for, let's call them Prestige Points or PP for short. These can't be traded for resources, so the "fresh start" aspect doesn't suffer, but there'll be a unique PP shop where you can get yourself an assortment of nice perks that I've not figured out yet. Some cosmetic, some practical, all rewards for former hoarders.

sgtwisky
Retired

Post by sgtwisky » 04 Aug 2017, 15:47

I would like to recent my keep Vildare comment Just thought of some issues that could cause with a wipe.

The limit of the Willing Suspension of Disbelief for a given element is directly proportional to the element's awesomeness.

random980

Post by random980 » 05 Aug 2017, 05:02

It's been years, i'd say wipe n restart it all, maybe have a museum in honour of our old best builds and that's it. It looks like there is a lot of focus on bringing the old payer-base back, while this is great, the server still needs to focus on bringing in and maintaining new players if the rebirth is really going to last. Having old cobwebs laying around while the oldies point at the past and shout "lOoK aT WhaT WE usED tO bE!" at new players like an old deranged man, is sure to make new players feel a bit alienated and left out, no one wants to get into a series at the squeal. I think we're better off leaving the past behind and having Escapecraft rise back up as a new and fresh beast out from its own ashes, where both new and old players can start again on the same page.

EDIT: What's the server's connection address again? Can't seem to easily find it, should be somewhere obvious on the homepage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Elcquid
Retired

Post by Elcquid » 05 Aug 2017, 07:09

escapecraft.com
Me: I shot 15 rounds into your mom
Demonnaruto21: die

personal_builder

Post by personal_builder » 05 Aug 2017, 07:17

I didn't like Horizons much but I have always been intruiged by the stories of the great builds from the worlds before TNA. I am sure that there will be some new players that will share that curiousity instead of being alienated as stated by random. People don't have to get back, but they can always go if they want. It will be an option and not something forced. So bring all those riches back for even more exploration.

IP: Escapecraft.com Come join us again, random.
EDIT: Ninja'd
Brought to you by:
Mystic Vale Halloween and Mystic Vale Christmas

Image Image

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 05 Aug 2017, 09:34

I obviously don't have a huge amount of time invested in Horizons so my opinion might not reflect that of the rest of the server, but I pretty much agree with what Random said about the appearance of the server to new players - a fresh start would probably be good!

Also, hi everyone!
"My ship! My booty! My collection of autographed sextants! All gone!"
-Guybrush Threepwood
"I'm the pizza delivery dude! The dude with the food!"
-Pepper Roni

sgtwisky
Retired

Post by sgtwisky » 05 Aug 2017, 14:22

I also agree with random.

If we are going to do a wipe, we should do it right, and decide on what we are doing with the new world/worlds in advance.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 08 Aug 2017, 11:07

I haven't been around in a long while, so like Tyrese I don't know or think my opinion on these matters should be worth much.

A couple days ago I decided to check out the old server again. It was so great to see that people are still around. I was so happy about that. The people make this server; it's what I used to love about multiplayer. Old friends, new people... it's what makes playing the game worth it IMO. And, I gotta admit it was so nice to see the world they developed. I especially liked the fact that the spawn I created for Horizons turned into a community effort: people actually added things to it, and changed it, and made it their own. Seeing that made me so happy, because it wasn't just a dead structure.

Sadly, though, the world did seem rather dated. I loved seeing the old builds, but I also realize they're old builds and that many of their builders and owners are long gone. They're just kinda sitting there, wasting space and reminding people that their friends aren't coming back. I miss my old friends here, but I don't know if I'd want to walk by and stare at the structures that they once built knowing that they're never coming back to them, and that they no longer hold any life or purpose. For new players, I agree with Random... that's an even worse scenario because they have no emotional connection to this server and its past. To those people such buildings are just beautiful eyesores, and ones that limit where they can build and make them feel like they're in a Fallout-esque world.

I think regular wipes are healthy. That said, the most important thing is to ensure that the existing community (the people who still play) are absolutely onboard with it. If it hasn't been done already, I'd reach out to people in game and have a chat with them about this. They may not know or care much for this forum or these threads. If those existing members wish to be able to transfer or hoard their remaining supplies, it might be worth it to entertain that idea. At this point nothing really hurts so long as people still want to use the server and play the game.

Another thing I'd suggest. It might be worth it to archive the threads in the forum here, and to start relatively fresh. Maybe keep around some of the important and relevant threads, but if you want to encourage this forum's use then having outdated threads clutter it up is not healthy. It's important to recognize our history, but not to constantly live in it, and I think having so many forums with so many outdated threads just reminds old people about how dead this place is now, and discourages new people from feeling like part of the community. If that makes sense.

Also, I guess, another suggestion. I know that if you do move forward with a wipe that you're entertaining the idea of using old builds for puzzles and mini-games. I highly support this. Go for it. You have my complete and total blessing to use anything I've ever built for that, and puzzlebuilders can do what their heart's content with 'em. It might be worth it to consider using old builds (the legit ones) as "ruins" in the new world, too. "Ruinify" them, bury them beneath the ground or seas, create shrines with them, etc.... use them as places for people to discover, pillage, create their own builds on, and so on. It might add some flavour to the world, and get people to adventure more, if they know there's stuff out there worth adventuring for. Besides that, how fitting would that be. A new world being built quite literally on the ruins of the old. ;)

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 08 Aug 2017, 11:18

derigin wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 11:07
It might be worth it to consider using old builds (the legit ones) as "ruins" in the new world, too. "Ruinify" them, bury them beneath the ground or seas, create shrines with them, etc.... use them as places for people to discover, pillage, create their own builds on, and so on.
I came up with another idea after creating this poll, which ties nicely into this suggestion. Gonna update my roadmap soon; I'll include it there.