Just a question about the website code

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
TheMightyBaffalo

Just a question about the website code

Post by TheMightyBaffalo » 24 Aug 2013, 00:02

I would really like to know how this website was made, was it coded or template'd, I am into coding myself and love it and I'm baffled at the professional look of the site and i wanna know how i can learn some of the script from it. If anyone can send me some of the main page script that would be amazing, I only want it to study and learn what the codes do. Also can someone tell me the types of code that it uses if it was handmade because right now I only know html, css, java, and a little jquery. (I'm also moving on to PHP :D ) Thanks
IT WAS I, DIO!

wokka1
Server Owner

Re: Just a question about the website code

Post by wokka1 » 24 Aug 2013, 00:29

The website (front page) was written by Furdabip and later modified by Tehbeard, including the existing store donation page. The forums are an application that was installed and the theme is templated. SneakyPie designed the look of our front page to match the theme of the forums and beard put it all together with his web programming magic. He's talented like that...

TheMightyBaffalo

Post by TheMightyBaffalo » 24 Aug 2013, 17:18

Ah ok it looks really nice. But can I see some of the source code from the front page? If it's against a rule or something I understand. Thanks for the info :D
IT WAS I, DIO!

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 25 Aug 2013, 00:03

That'd have to be up to furdabip and tehbeard.

TheMightyBaffalo

Post by TheMightyBaffalo » 25 Aug 2013, 10:45

ok ill pm him thanks
IT WAS I, DIO!

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 03 Sep 2013, 22:07

wokka1 wrote:The website (front page) was written by Tehbeard, ...
Don't be mean, wokka. Just because I'm not around anymore doesn't mean you're allowed to forget about my contributions! :-p

I did the layout of the front page, badly, a couple years ago. I do NOT recommend you use any of it as example code of how to make websites. I made it after not making websites for over 4 years, so knew nothing of HTML5, or how best to do layouts anymore. Tehbeard stole the front end code (that was designed for Chrome, as he didn't know that behind-the-scenes each browser had specific code for it), stripped the bottom copyright and tried to shove a bunch of other features into it, ultimately hacking together a shitty looking front page (look at it in IE if it looks fine in Chrome).

Even though it's horribly outdated code (as it was designed for HTML4), the original layout looked like this: http://richinnovations.com/_escapecraft/

It uses images to create rounded corners and gradients (something HTML5 can do now), as well as uses a <table> for layout, which is also a big no-no these days.

I highly recommend you find up-to-date tutorials for learning HTML, CSS & JavaScript if you haven't already, then read all available tags/properties/functions and practice with them until you know what each of them does. As for backend, PHP is a very perculiar language. It doesn't have any standard rules and you will need to keep the manual saved on your computer at all times for referencing what order parameters go into which functions. Even nearly identical functions can sometimes take their parameters in opposite order. Up-to-date tutorials will help you with it, as well. I have no tutorial websites to recommend, as I started learning all this back in 2003, so they'd all be outdated.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 03 Sep 2013, 22:32

My apologies Furd, I didn't remember you doing the original coding. Editing my post :)