Let's Players, assemble!

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Let's Players, assemble!

Post by haxxorzd00d » 08 Apr 2013, 13:34

So you've probably noticed we've been a bit quiet lately. We were sat in our big comfy mod chairs thinking of ways to entice fresh meat new players to join our upstanding community, and we realized something: people like videos. Specifically, videos about Minecraft. They like them a lot. So we figured hey, let's throw our hat in the ring and get some Youtubers together!

Anyway, to my point. ESCAPECRAFT NEEDS YOU! Not your significant other though, they were very rude at our cousin's wedding and we want nothing to do with them.

We're assembling a crack team of Let's Players! Here's the sort of stuff this elite band of misfits will be getting up to:

- Playing puzzle maps, including those in Enigma and random popular maps from across the web!
- Playing mini-games and game show type things - our own Enigma games, and popular game maps!
- Playing straight up survival on Escapecraft! Or maybe some other kind of survival with a twist!
- Playing and testing mods, from individual creations to full-blown packs like FTB!
- Maybe even playing some other games! (yes, there are other games)
- And much more!*

Note: May not actually be much more and may in fact be significantly or entirely less than advertised.

So what do you need to be part of the team?

- You DON'T have to be able to record video, though it'd allow us to have multiple "cams" to cut between during episodes. Need to be able to record comfortably and lag-free at 720p (texture packs to be discussed later, probably vanilla or another 16x16 one)
- You DO need to have a mic and join the team on Mumble. Not much use having a video series with someone who's just there running about and typing stuff in chat. If I want that I can go in-game and watch newbies derping around.
- An amusing and likeable personality is recommended (We'll have Mountbatten judge you, he's a great judge of character. Nah, we're not that mean.. or are we?) Remember, you'll be recorded and broadcast to the world, so you need to be comfortable in that kind of environment.

Also, we reserve the right to turn you down if we don't feel you'd make a great team member for whatever reason. Please don't be too upset if we say no, it's nothing personal.

Time zones and stuff will be organised once we have some willing victims volunteers. We may need to have a "team" of LPers and mix-and-match them for videos; nothing wrong with that as long as at least one person's recording in each LP, otherwise there's not much point.

So who's in? Could it be YOU?

Sti_Jo_Lew

Re: Let's Players, assemble!

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 08 Apr 2013, 13:46

If we do enforce a set texture pack, I'd recommend JohnSmith. It looks great, is only 32x so it doesn't hamper perfomance much, and it doesn't ruin builds that were made with default or vice-versa.

Also, if I ever manage to get my dream PC built I will definitely try to record stuff. Not sure how well my voice would do, as I tend to slur all the time from my brain going faster than my mouth can keep up with.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Thelepearchauns
Retired

Post by Thelepearchauns » 08 Apr 2013, 19:30

I am fully behind this and willing to do them. In fact I have in the past.

So if anyone wants to set up and do something, im all in. Its always better to have multiple people. Perhaps we can start a small server off my compy of some sort that we can schedule to play simultaneously on.

If I am to believe the wiki, it says I can run a 24 person server from my laptop WHILE I play on that server so long as i use a wired internet connection...go figure :P
Lep
Or its a key all the time...and when you stick it in someone, it unlocks their death
-Church and Caboose

Spyboticsguy

Post by Spyboticsguy » 08 Apr 2013, 21:11

Er, I really don't like the idea of an enforced texture pack. I propose we record in whatever texture pack we like, as long as it's in accordance with the texture pack license. Sphax has a sixteen bit version, but I use the one-hundred twenty-eight resolution version.

motormaniac
Retired

Post by motormaniac » 08 Apr 2013, 22:13

I don't think an enforced texture pack is necessary, but a check just to make sure it isn't some hideously ugly texture pack might help.

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 09 Apr 2013, 03:20

Texture packs would only be "enforced" as far as if multiple people are recording in one video, they should all be using the same pack so there's no schizophrenic pack switching between cameras.

In fact, it might be nice to use a different pack we like in each video and link it in the description.

Okay, texture pack discussion over. Sign up for the team or get off mah lawn, ya darn pesky kids.

ItchyNL
Wabbit Killa

Post by ItchyNL » 09 Apr 2013, 05:27

I'd like to sign up. Will be able to record if needed. My availability will be depending on what time you are planning it cause i work at weird times.

Leaver dea as slaef

aeroeng15
Retired

Post by aeroeng15 » 09 Apr 2013, 05:29

I'd be interested. Trying to setup streaming capabilities with twitch, but I need to sort out some audio issues. I think twitch also allows for exporting to YT.

Thelepearchauns
Retired

Post by Thelepearchauns » 09 Apr 2013, 07:22

I mentioned in PR that I was thinking of streaming master builder to twitch or YT. You can watch me build and every once in a while Id do a fly over other peoples work as well. Maybe I can get other people into an audio program like skype or mumble and get some live interviews
Lep
Or its a key all the time...and when you stick it in someone, it unlocks their death
-Church and Caboose

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 09 Apr 2013, 09:58

Alright, since there seems to be at least some interest in this and because it's always nice to talk voice-to-voice with a person, there will be a session or two in Mumble this coming Sunday (14th April) where people can turn up to hear what we, the staff, are looking for in potential lets players.

As you might have guessed, Mumble is a chat program so you'll be able to ask us questions too, whether it's about our recommended software, whether your voice sounds like a hundred nails all screeching down a chalkboard, or whether we're going to be hogging all the internet credit. This does of course mean that you will need a microphone, one of those things that is also needed to be a Lets Play person. We'll also be asking you questions too, so no hiding in the corners; we have flashlights.

Being the kind people we are, you have a choice of drop-in sessions. For those people in the land of Spiders and Snakes (Australians), the Brits shall be online to talk to you at the time below.

But if, like most Americans, you don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to hear us talk shop, another session will be held later in the day at 2 PM server time (this can be moved to 5 PM if people need it as such).

If none of these times are suitable for you, post as such and we shall organise another session at a more suitable time for anyone feeling left out.

Thelepearchauns
Retired

Post by Thelepearchauns » 09 Apr 2013, 17:40

We are starting a group to do lets plays off a private server(doing this because of the variations in games available on a private server and the privacy. Im hoping to run it). We will begin sometime following Sundays meeting. Techno and myself are in already
Lep
-Church and Caboose

aeroeng15
Retired

Post by aeroeng15 » 09 Apr 2013, 20:35

I will be unable to attend either due to prior commitments.

motormaniac
Retired

Post by motormaniac » 09 Apr 2013, 21:18

I am interested but my schedule is always changing, so no promises on the planned mumble time.

random980

Post by random980 » 09 Apr 2013, 23:16

I'd love to join a let's play team, I'll jump on mumble when the time comes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Byroe

Post by Byroe » 09 Apr 2013, 23:42

Hey, i'd like to join :D i haven't done very much on escapecraft in a long time, but i want to get back into it.
"yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift, that is why we call it the present."

TEKNOVIRUS
Retired

Post by TEKNOVIRUS » 10 Apr 2013, 12:54

Just so people know in this forum, I'd like to as well.
Patbutalsorick in-game

ItchyNL
Wabbit Killa

Post by ItchyNL » 10 Apr 2013, 13:03

We are filming a DVD of the show I work for on Sunday. Probably won't be able to get on mumble that day.

Leaver dea as slaef

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 12 Apr 2013, 15:15

Starting tomorrow I will be Let's Playing Metro 2033 on Livestream.

http://www.livestream.com/vallornletsplaysmetro2033
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

davejavu
Rodney

Post by davejavu » 13 Apr 2013, 16:37

Well, I'll be at the 10AM one, maybe the 2PM one, because I stream on twitch.tv every now and then, my rig can cope with 720p 60fps livestreaming, or 1080p 30fps (just), that and recording videos; those who record: I REALLY RECOMMEND GETTING MINECRAFT FORGE EVEN IF YOU AREN'T INSTALLING MODS, get build 651+, it changes the way minecraft loads texture packs - currently minecraft re-loads the texture pack every tick, whereas forge makes it so it only loads the texture pack once, meaning I can run 512x sphax at 120fps solidly. Oh, by the way, for now this means uninstalling optifine. It's worth it, believe me.

aeroeng15
Retired

Post by aeroeng15 » 13 Apr 2013, 17:02

I may be able to make the American chat. Depends on how quickly things go tomorrow.

Thelepearchauns
Retired

Post by Thelepearchauns » 14 Apr 2013, 00:28

It looks like I may not make american chat. Ill be around an hour or 2 before, but that time might be iffy
Lep
-Church and Caboose

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 14 Apr 2013, 16:59

For those who didn't make it:

The morning meeting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlz4s7xcm6elj ... ixdown.ogg

This was more coherent than the afternoon meeting as I actually got my words in order and could do stuff... the afternoon one is a bit more bloopery and last half as long with barely a third of the questions

The afternoon meeting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7t67d2llhy7z0 ... ixdown.ogg

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 15 Apr 2013, 01:12

Streamed Twice. The videos are still at the link above.

If you didnt come I'm annoyed at you and very disappointed.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 15 Apr 2013, 13:46

vallorn wrote:Streamed Twice. The videos are still at the link above.

If you didnt come I'm annoyed at you and very disappointed.
What ludicrous time did you end up playing the second stream at?

It'd be nice if there was some set time schedule for this. It was moreso coincidence that I managed to make it to the first one, as I have absolutely no clue what times you end up deciding to play metro at. :(
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 15 Apr 2013, 14:34

10:30pm pst
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 15 Apr 2013, 16:26

Toniiighhhttt? dammit :(

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 15 Apr 2013, 18:40

Invunarble wrote:Toniiighhhttt? dammit :(
no of course not. you asked what time I streamed it at and I answered
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 16 Apr 2013, 14:07

Arg, let me rephrase: What time do you PLAN to stream your next playthrough if/when you do it?