Escapecraft Podcast

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
J4Numbers
Numbers

Escapecraft Podcast

Post by J4Numbers » 16 Oct 2012, 15:56

Hello there

Some of you may have seen the new Escapecraft Podcast which has started airing on the server, and if you haven't the link for each episode will be given below, along with information about each podcast and the special guest which attended the recording, to sweeten the deal myself and Rock will give our personal opinions of the games that we play in this thread under the relevant spoiler tag.

Use this thread to post your comments, questions, idea's, and general thoughts about the podcast, as well as giving us questions to ask our various special guests each week.

This has been brought to you by M477h3w1012, RockBeefChest and events correspondent TyreseEngineer.

You can now find us on iTunes!

Episode 1
Spoiler! :
Recorded on the 14th October 2012 with special guest Vallorn
Welcome to the Escapecraft Podcast, this week, we fill your brains with information on such things as:
-What drove Mydrox insane
-Instructions regarding Haxx
-Dave
-How to kill someone
-A sadistic pied piper

Escapecraft Podcast 1
Afterthoughts
M477's Afterthoughts -
Spoiler! :
[/b]
Spoiler! :
After thinking about not thinking about not thinking about Dishonoured, I've thought that I should include some thoughts about the game here.

Dishonoured was one of the greater stealth games that I've played in a long time, and I suppose that comparing it to some older games that use elements of stealth is going to be hard. Maybe. First things first, helps if I have a game in mind which uses stealth systems so I'm going to look at the big one first, this being Assassins Creed. Assassins creed is one of those games that has taken line of sight stealth and polished it nicely, which is what Dishonoured has done too.

Assassins Creed though allowed much greater movement and freedom than Dishonoured, where you could go about the level in whichever way you chose, maybe climbing a tower on the way there, because what Assassins Creed excelled in was moving around the environment should be fun, a trait emanated in Just Cause 2 as well, for what is the point in having an open world sandbox game if you cannot enjoy yourself moving from A to B until it becomes more boring and the players scorn the movement so much that they give up on the game.

So what is Dishonoured's redeeming feature you might ask?
The fact that you are not restricted to dispatching your enemies with a hidden blade or a sword is what makes it unique, for where you can get creative with the movement in Assassins Creed, you can get creative with the method in Dishonoured. Maybe you can slip a poison into a glass while he isn't looking, or knock out the witness and then proceed to wail on the main target, simple all out killing is an option too, but there's also the chance to enact a revenge worse than death on your target, giving Dishonoured the edge in creativity.

But remember, even though there are all these options, some of them will bode better than you than others, some might not even work.
~M4Numbers

RockBeef's Afterthoughts
Spoiler! :
Dishonored has a very cool and creepy soundtrack and score. I really liked this and didn't mention it during the review. The sound editing and music really adds to the mood of the game and is just another reason why it should not be missed.

I recently played another run through of the game and took a purely nonviolent approach. It really added a level of difficulty to the game but did not make it completely impossible to succeed. I recommend anyone to try that approach if you have the patience. Next up I will be trying a perfect stealth playthrough where i am never seen.

Episode 2
Spoiler! :
Recorded on the 28th October 2012 with special guest Eggster
What's this? Continuation? I can't believe my eyes. No matter, this week, we look at such things as:
-Why Comic_sans built a Hamburger in a Halloween Big Build
-Why are we waiting for 1.4.2?
-Where did Eggster come from?
-[Long psychological words]
-Recommending a book from a game

Escapecraft Podcast 2

Afterthoughts
M477's Afterthoughts -
Spoiler! :
[/b]
Spoiler! :
After hearing me and Rock take more than ten minutes to talk about Spec Ops: the line, you'd think that we'd run out of points to talk about. But I have braved my mind once again to bring some more thoughts into the game and shed some light on why it was so good.

Spec Ops was a game which I first wanted to play after watching the Zero Punctuation review, so I played the game with high hopes in mind, and I am happy to say that I wasn't disappointed when I got it during one of Steams infamous sales. I am going to keep this whole thought spoiler free and focus on the concepts behind the game, so those of you who were worried that I was going to spill a deep and horrible secret can breath out now.

For those of you who don't know, Spec Ops: the line is a third person shooter set in some future version of Dubai where the whole city has gone to the dogs. You play as the captain of a three man squad sent to look for survivors, which you find. The only problem being that you just walked into the middle of a war while doing so. Spec Ops was reputed for carrying so much weight within the video gaming world due to its views on why we game. This is then taken to the point where the game laughs at you for this reason and punishes you for it.

This concept in question being the hero desire that gamers want to fulfil, that feeling of being the hero and saving the town from the baddies, restoring peace and order in the process, and maybe snagging a woman while you're at it. Spec Ops notices this, then juxtaposes it against the harsh realities of war. The result being something quite disturbing but something which you can't put down. Spec Ops makes you look at what you are doing and then laughs at your motives for doing so. It makes you kill people, then tells you who they were, giving them faces and names, all the while standing behind you and asking if you feel like a hero yet?

The result of this being one of the most moving games that I've played in a long time. In a small conclusion, I'd say that Spec Ops: the line is certainly a game that should be played, if not for the gameplay, then for the experience that it offers the player.
~M4Numbers

RockBeef's Afterthoughts
Spoiler! :
Episode 3
Spoiler! :
Recorded on the 11th November 2012 with special guest Wokka1.
I AM PODCAST GIVEN PURPOSE! AND I have no idea how that statement was meant to continue, just have your podcast with informatics like:
-Why archers are evil
-Shamespawning
-How to make a smokescreen
-The torture of a Sim and
-Why flying a spacecraft is like being a superhero.

Escapecraft Podcast 3
Afterthoughts
M477's Afterthoughts -
Spoiler! :
[/b]
Spoiler! :
There are forethoughts, afterthoughts, and thoughtfulthoughts. These are none of them and are simple thoughts.

For those of you that have listened to the latest podcast and were able to sit through our own qualms about the respective games, congratulations, you can skip the next part. For those people who are skimming through here to see what goes on in these dark sections of the forums, firstly, Shame on you...

Secondly, I don't like having save points in a game, not the manual ones in any case, I'm not cruel enough to make someone play through the whole of Ninja Gaiden 3 with no autosaves or anything... I think. But the point stands that I don't like it when you have to consciously walk up to a save point and save your game, for one thing they can be easily abused if you constantly go back and forth, back and forth after defeating a few enemies at a time, and in a few games that I've played, they place enemies right next to the damned save point while it's still active... What kind of messed up level designer does that I ask you? You end up possibly creating a kill spawn which causes the player to go back to the previous save before that (Which can be a VERY long way away dependant on the game), or causes them to simply rage quit.

Thankfully, I have only been forced into a death-spawn a few times, and each time I found myself slaughtered so much that I had to get a perfect combo with 0 damage throughout the fight. Nerves slightly frayed at the end of it, but still victorious, the main example being another of the Onimusha games, this one being Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. Trust me, if you value your sanity, the boss run at the end is only worth doing if you have the patience of a saint. I'm not going to spoil it for people unless I get paid in a dark alley with blood money.

Also, a minor clarification which might have been lost in the Podcast, when I say a D-Pad controlled movement system as opposed to an omni-directional system, I meant that the arrow buttons on a PlayStation 2 controller do the work, not the analogue sticks, and in this game the forward and backward arrows move the character forwards and backwards surprisingly, while the side arrows rotate the character a number of degrees at a time, which does become bloody annoying when you are fighting multiple enemies let me tell you.

Heard me yap enough yet? no? Well ok then.
One final thing that I started to detest in all the Onimusha games was the enemy spawn regenerations, if you entered an area, cleared it of enemies, and left it again, the next time you entered that area, the enemies would be back again and looking for another fight. It would be nice if the game had a bit of continuity once in a blue moon, even if it's as simple as you've cleared this area already, congratulations you can have a bit of peace when you are moving though the area. But ooooh no, that'd be too easy, lets just spawn the monsters that you just killed in again, what could possibly go wrong right?

Now this thought has dredged up other thoughts... damn it.
~M4Numbers.

RockBeef's Afterthoughts
Spoiler! :
A couple of afterthoughts.

Dead Rising:

I remember there being bossfights that were fun to play and stressful. Two come to mind. In the main courtyard of the mall you encounter some escaped prisoners driving a humvee around and that was quite a challenge to bring them down. Then there was a fight with a insane clown with chainsaws that was freaking crazy. So the game was not without merit. Too bad the timer just ruined the entire experience for me.

The Sims:

I stand by my vengeful god simulator statement. In the podcast i mentioned how i would set The Sims intelligence to 0 and fill the house with stoves. I did do this and the results were hilarious. I forgot a key aspect of this though. Not only do you have to set the intelligence to 0 you have to turn the anger up to eleven. That way you have a family full of pissed off idiots and stoves. Baby crawling around peeing everywhere wife stuck in a pool without a ladder, son stuck in the bathroom without a door, gravestones pilling up outside, The spirits of your former victims haunting your current victims. Seriously did anyone not just do this in that game. I have yet to meet a single person that played the game in the manner in which it was designed to be played.

TMNT:

What is the deal with the character models for that game. I understand that katana blades and a bowstaff are long than a sai (did i spell that right), but Ralph did have arms. Why the hell did they not allow him to extend his arms when he attacks. I said they looked like a T-Rex and that is true but at least the dino was 30 feet tall. I will not comment on electric seaweed as that has been done to death.

Anyhoot good job everyone. I hope you listeners enjoy our efforts here. We are doing these for you guys and I want to ensure that you are having fun. Please let me know what we can do to make it better. Keep an eye out for the next podcast, I have a little surprise for the players.

-Rock beefchest

Episode 4 - Q and A Special
Spoiler! :
Recorded on the 25th November 2012 with special guests dropping in from around the server.
It's the Question and Answer special edition of the podcast, where this week we take a step away from the ordinary and this week, we question people from...
We talk about Escape- no, no.
Look, trust us, this week is different, some people actually asked thoughtful questions. Some people didn't of course, but hey. Here you will find answers to such questions as:
-How soon is soon?
-What are the happiest memories of the hosts?
-Do we even lift?
-Why Tyrese likes Hot Fuzz?
-And just what we added to the Podcast this week.

Escapecraft Podcast 4

Episode 5
Spoiler! :
Recorded on the 9th December with special guest Haxxorzd00d.
We wish you a merry Christmahanzicah and a happy new Year! Aren't we culturally aware?
This week we decided to kick all those pesky Americans from the podcast and revealed our secret weapon... Haxx. Due to the holiday season fast approaching, this will be the last you shall hear from us for a month (Yep, I know, but some people apparently have lives). To make up for this, we bring you a Super Bumper Christmas Special... thing, filled with many laughable features such as:
-More instructions regarding a player
-A Happy Holiday present from the staff
-And a run down of many games, great and bad, to tide you over the winter months.

From all the podcast team,
Happy Holidays!

Christmas Bloopers Edition
Spoiler! :
Did that grab your attention?
Well you must be reading this so I will assume it has. It lied, there is nothing truly Christmassy about it, and it is just the podcasters having a lot of trouble with their microphones, backgrounds and pets. I say all...
During the five podcasts, we have had:
-Tyrese hacking
-Haxx dogging
-M4 and Rock tripping
Context optional.
Beware, this blooper reel is Uncensored
and can be found here.

Episode 6
Spoiler! :
It's the start of a new year, and we've kicked it off with another podcast with this week's special guest, Tulonsae.
Within this episode, you may or may not find:
-The event that everyone's been waiting for
-The Past, Present and Future lives of Escapecraft
-And why Rock is being questioned by Wildlife trusts around the globe
Happy New Year!.

Episode 7
Spoiler! :
Welcome back to the 'How does it work?' edition of the Escapecraft Podcast, where we are joined by Tehbeard.
Join us as we discover:
-The complete events list for this month
-How much will change when 1.5 appears
-And a reason for rage-quitting a podcast
Escapecraft Podcast: Episode 8

minnerthecat
Retired

Re: EscapeCast

Post by minnerthecat » 16 Oct 2012, 16:02

This looks awesome, definitely going to watch the first episode after work tonight, looking forward to following this series!
Orange and white, but not quite right.

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 16 Oct 2012, 16:54

Hope it lives up to expectations :P
"My ship! My booty! My collection of autographed sextants! All gone!"
-Guybrush Threepwood
"I'm the pizza delivery dude! The dude with the food!"
-Pepper Roni

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 16 Oct 2012, 20:03

IM FAMOUS!
Spoiler! :
Fear my (soon to be) zombie villager army of doom!
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 16 Oct 2012, 20:06

Ooh, interesting. I'll have to take a listen to this later when I actually can.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 17 Oct 2012, 05:42

I await your wrath, listeners. Bring on the passive-aggressive persuasion and/or brutal stick-beatings.

Rock Beefchest
Site Contributor

Post by Rock Beefchest » 17 Oct 2012, 12:03

I wanna listen as well gonna put in on my iphone listen in the car.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 17 Oct 2012, 14:06

haxxorzd00d wrote:I await your wrath, listeners. Bring on the passive-aggressive persuasion and/or brutal stick-beatings.
Take videos.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 18 Oct 2012, 01:44

vallorn wrote:
haxxorzd00d wrote:I await your wrath, listeners. Bring on the passive-aggressive persuasion and/or brutal stick-beatings.
Take videos.
But not of yourselves, that would be boring. Use wildlife footage of your favorite animals, or maybe cat videos off youtube.

Also if this becomes a regular thing, consider investing in some higher quality microphones.
The staff here are all trolls

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 21 Oct 2012, 03:39

My Microphone was £10...
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 21 Oct 2012, 15:11

And we all know how wonderfully insanely freakishly painfully wonderfully loud clear you are with that mic.
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 21 Oct 2012, 16:27

Even 10€/$/£ microphones can record in acceptable/good quality. :mrgreen:

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 22 Oct 2012, 12:38

Awesome podcast I can't wait to explore the new world
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 30 Oct 2012, 14:25

It's that time of the month again, and we've brought you another Podcast filled with information relevant material myself, Rockbeefchest, TyreseEngineer, and our special guest this week Eggster, talking about what's happening in the wide world of Escapecraft. This week, we had a look at Spec Ops: The Line and proceeded to analyse every grain of sand we could be bothered to count.

Beware, this podcast contains heavy spoilers for Spec Ops.
You have been warned.

Escapecraft Podcast 2

zekesonxx

Post by zekesonxx » 05 Nov 2012, 00:22

I has idea!

Why don't you set it up so that it has a podcast feed? That way podcast managers can automatically download new episodes, and the lazy masses can expand.

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 07 Nov 2012, 11:57

It shall be done soon.
But we're making sure that we're not going to lose one of us in a great ball of fire first.

In other words, we're making sure that we're going to make this a stable thing before we start signing our souls away with the blood of our first born sons.

In other other words. Nag Lennie about it.

zekesonxx

Post by zekesonxx » 07 Nov 2012, 14:53

MayorLennie put up the podcast RSS-like feed!

Did I do it right M477?

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 10 Nov 2012, 09:55

Wait what? Sorry Zeke for the late reply I didn't realize I was being called (pokes M477) anyhow yes an RSS feed is definitely something we'll get once the podcast is launched in all it's glory so fear not!

For now you and all the fine folks in the community get to use this thread to talk at the hosts re: the Podcast

Since it just started as a project last month we're working out tweaks and details before the Escapecraft Podcast is launched to the "publics"!

So on that note get cracking in here no pressure or ANYTHING but the more feedback you all can give the hosts and editor the faster we can launch this to the Big Show....

So without further ado I return you to our worthy Podcast Hosts for discussion/feedback/suggestions.

Len
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

J4Numbers
Numbers

Re: Escapecraft Podcast

Post by J4Numbers » 14 Nov 2012, 12:07

Were you hoping that we would review Assassins Creed three?
Maybe a review of Halo 4?
Or our thoughts on the new Call of duty Black Ops?

Well, those hopes are to be denied, squashed into a pulp, and fed to the cat as dream juice (mmmm... Tasty). This week we bring you some of the worst games that we've had the misfortune to play, be it Playstation, Computer or Tamagotchi.

Escapecraft Podcast 3

Now with added Wokka!

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 14 Nov 2012, 13:09

Give us your thoughts, we want to make this the best it can be!
-Guybrush Threepwood
-Pepper Roni

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 14 Nov 2012, 14:06

Your link was broke, pointing to 2012-11-11 instead of 2012-11-13 for some reason.

I has fixled it.

The Sims does tend to have that effect; "Oh look, a new expansion pack!" Spend an hour going "ooh, aah" at all the fancy new items - then remember the actual game is pretty tedious and move on to something else.

Dead Rising was one of those games that delivers exactly what it promised - shitloads of zombies - then got boring purely because there wasn't much to do besides endlessly smashing the skulls of said shitloads of zombies.

Rock Beefchest
Site Contributor

Post by Rock Beefchest » 14 Nov 2012, 14:26

So guys take a listen then let us know what you liked and what you didn't. I really want to hear your critiques. Would love to talk to anyone on the server about suggestions to make the podcast better. Also wouldn't mind hearing when i did a good job. Don't be afraid to post your thoughts here, or if you prefer pm me with your ideas.

That said. A couple of afterthoughts.

Dead Rising:

I remember there being bossfights that were fun to play and stressful. Two come to mind. In the main courtyard of the mall you encounter some escaped prisoners driving a humvee around and that was quite a challenge to bring them down. Then there was a fight with a insane clown with chainsaws that was freaking crazy. So the game was not without merit. Too bad the timer just ruined the entire experience for me.

The Sims:

I stand by my vengeful god simulator statement. In the podcast i mentioned how i would set The Sims intelligence to 0 and fill the house with stoves. I did do this and the results were hilarious. I forgot a key aspect of this though. Not only do you have to set the intelligence to 0 you have to turn the anger up to eleven. That way you have a family full of pissed off idiots and stoves. Baby crawling around peeing everywhere wife stuck in a pool without a ladder, son stuck in the bathroom without a door, gravestones pilling up outside, The spirits of your former victims haunting your current victims. Seriously did anyone not just do this in that game. I have yet to meet a single person that played the game in the manner in which it was designed to be played.

TMNT:

What is the deal with the character models for that game. I understand that katana blades and a bowstaff are long than a sai (did i spell that right), but Ralph did have arms. Why the hell did they not allow him to extend his arms when he attacks. I said they looked like a T-Rex and that is true but at least the dino was 30 feet tall. I will not comment on electric seaweed as that has been done to death.

Anyhoot good job everyone. I hope you listeners enjoy our efforts here. We are doing these for you guys and I want to ensure that you are having fun. Please let me know what we can do to make it better. Keep an eye out for the next podcast, I have a little surprise for the players.

-Rock beefchest

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 14 Nov 2012, 15:16

Rock Beefchest wrote:I would set The Sims intelligence to 0 and fill the house with stoves. I did do this and the results were hilarious.
In the first game if you hadn't bothered to read any cookbooks, you would ALWAYS set the stove on fire. They really were that stupid if you didn't teach them anything... :D

ItchyNL
Wabbit Killa

Post by ItchyNL » 15 Nov 2012, 13:23

Nice podcast guys. Keep them coming.
One thing though. Try to get volume levels equal.
I almost couldn't hear Tyrese.

Leaver dea as slaef

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 15 Nov 2012, 14:56

I wonder why that was Tyrese.

(Stage Direction: Glare at Tryas for taking things to the other end of the scale)

TyrasEngineer
Escapecraft Head

Post by TyrasEngineer » 15 Nov 2012, 16:40

That was a combination of: not wanting to disturb parents, talking quietly normally anyway, and a sore throat. But don't worry, I've got some elocution lessons from Brian Blessed lined up.
-Guybrush Threepwood
-Pepper Roni

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 15 Nov 2012, 16:48

If the podcast does not appear in the next two weeks, it will be because these elocution lessons have failed and I have subsequently jumped off a cliff.
In which case I leave none of my stuff to any of you.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 15 Nov 2012, 16:54

There is little one could want from Yorkshire thankfully, so all is well!

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 16 Nov 2012, 10:26

TyreseEngineer wrote:That was a combination of: not wanting to disturb parents, talking quietly normally anyway, and a sore throat. But don't worry, I've got some elocution lessons from Brian Blessed lined up.
Drink room temperature or slightly warm water before recording. Stand up while talking. These 2 things can help a lot, might try them.

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 16 Nov 2012, 12:55

There are forethoughts, afterthoughts, and thoughtfulthoughts. These are none of them and are simple thoughts.

For those of you that have listened to the latest podcast and were able to sit through our own qualms about the respective games, congratulations, you can skip the next part. For those people who are skimming through here to see what goes on in these dark sections of the forums, firstly, Shame on you...

Secondly, I don't like having save points in a game, not the manual ones in any case, I'm not cruel enough to make someone play through the whole of Ninja Gaiden 3 with no autosaves or anything... I think. But the point stands that I don't like it when you have to consciously walk up to a save point and save your game, for one thing they can be easily abused if you constantly go back and forth, back and forth after defeating a few enemies at a time, and in a few games that I've played, they place enemies right next to the damned save point while it's still active... What kind of messed up level designer does that I ask you? You end up possibly creating a kill spawn which causes the player to go back to the previous save before that (Which can be a VERY long way away dependant on the game), or causes them to simply rage quit.

Thankfully, I have only been forced into a death-spawn a few times, and each time I found myself slaughtered so much that I had to get a perfect combo with 0 damage throughout the fight. Nerves slightly frayed at the end of it, but still victorious, the main example being another of the Onimusha games, this one being Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. Trust me, if you value your sanity, the boss run at the end is only worth doing if you have the patience of a saint. I'm not going to spoil it for people unless I get paid in a dark alley with blood money.

Also, a minor clarification which might have been lost in the Podcast, when I say a D-Pad controlled movement system as opposed to an omni-directional system, I meant that the arrow buttons on a PlayStation 2 controller do the work, not the analogue sticks, and in this game the forward and backward arrows move the character forwards and backwards surprisingly, while the side arrows rotate the character a number of degrees at a time, which does become bloody annoying when you are fighting multiple enemies let me tell you.

Heard me yap enough yet? no? Well ok then.
One final thing that I started to detest in all the Onimusha games was the enemy spawn regenerations, if you entered an area, cleared it of enemies, and left it again, the next time you entered that area, the enemies would be back again and looking for another fight. It would be nice if the game had a bit of continuity once in a blue moon, even if it's as simple as you've cleared this area already, congratulations you can have a bit of peace when you are moving though the area. But ooooh no, that'd be too easy, lets just spawn the monsters that you just killed in again, what could possibly go wrong right?

Now this thought has dredged up other thoughts... damn it.
M4Numbers.