Tekkit to Close

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Tekkit to Close

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 27 Aug 2012, 08:40

Hello everyone. All two of you here have likely already read the title and are probably clutching at the air in agony, asking "why, just why" to the powers that be over the announcement of the closure of your beloved tekkit server.

But that's the issue - interest has lessened considerably since we initially opened the server, in the playerbase and staff. This wasn't an unpredictable occurrence however, and we are not closing instantaneously.

The official date set for tekkit's closure is October 1st of this year. This takes us a month past the date we'd set as anyone who had ever donated being able to enter the server, so it should be a generous amount of time for the remainder to - I dunno - wallow for a month.

Of course, the main server will still be there for all to enjoy.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Re: Tekkit to Close

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 28 Aug 2012, 14:31

Kinda sad to hear, but at least it will get the community back together again.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 28 Aug 2012, 14:34

In the end let blackadder at it with -1 nuclear stuff? :D

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 28 Aug 2012, 15:11

Shall I make a nuclear bomb factory, and fill the world with nukes, then detonate them all on September 30th?
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 28 Aug 2012, 15:15

Nukes everywhereeeeee

Spyboticsguy

Post by Spyboticsguy » 28 Aug 2012, 20:15

No large nukes until I backup the map.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 28 Aug 2012, 20:54

:\ then I won't be able to cover the entire world with nukes

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Aug 2012, 21:29

Give me a volcano ring.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

welwyn

Post by welwyn » 28 Aug 2012, 23:46

For the record, I give full permission for people to nuke my areas if they so desire. Just do before and after pics, and be mindful of my neighbors.

disarmedfetus

Post by disarmedfetus » 28 Aug 2012, 23:59

i can host a tekkit server for those who still want to play. if that is ok with you guys.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 29 Aug 2012, 00:11

disarmedfetus wrote:i can host a tekkit server for those who still want to play. if that is ok with you guys.
No.

gendai351

Post by gendai351 » 29 Aug 2012, 07:26

i enjoyed tekkit quite a bit.

but a things happened to draw me away
got a new job
wife got pregnant
i'll be back on the weekends and sometimes at night

Mattybcd

Post by Mattybcd » 29 Aug 2012, 07:57

disarmedfetus wrote:i can host a tekkit server for those who still want to play. if that is ok with you guys.
Yes.
Video editor. GFX artist. Intro designer. *Pic coming soon* Also follow me on twitter- @Delux_kingzz

oli4uk

Post by oli4uk » 29 Aug 2012, 12:10

Oh man this sucks :(

I have just got sucked in with real life, work to be precise, as some of you may have noticed I will be on minecraft non-stop for a few weeks and then disappear, this si because I work on a contract basis - lots of free time until I need cash - then pick up a new client.

I had a huge amount of fun on Tekkit - and I am genuinely sad to see it go. It brought a whole new level to minecraft, and I enjoyed the factory building technical challenges immensely. Think I might have a hard time adjusting to the older version again!

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 29 Aug 2012, 16:42

Here's a few ideas I came up with over the duration of yesterday that *probably* would have made the Tekkit server more successful:
  • Either availability for all vets on the server, or a continuous non-stop "if you ever donated, you get to play" system
  • Better formation of advertising (As in, looped server messages, user-friendly instructions on installing the tekkit launcher, considering the server changed versions a few times, and the only way to find out how to change versions on the launcher was by word of mouth from the server)
  • Allowing applications for players to sort of "mentor" the tekkit server (I am sure there are a ton of people who would be interested in this)
  • Possibly implementing some more user-friendly plug ins (Towny was just a shit ton of information being thrown at you)
  • Some starter information on how some of the machines/objects from different mods worked
  • Possibly a bigger world with a rail system going around the main duration of it (Maykxor's project was far from finished)
None of this is destructive criticism at all, and although the tekkit server was an extremely bumpy road, I personally enjoyed my time there greatly, and during the time it has been up, it had much success to it. However, I personally feel that if some of these ideas had been implemented earlier on, the tekkit server may not have been as empty as it is now.

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 29 Aug 2012, 21:57

Or you know, not be able to get to the end of the game quickly and become bored. That would probably be the main reason why it was pretty much abandoned was that people had everything.
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

oli4uk

Post by oli4uk » 29 Aug 2012, 22:11

LS13 wrote:Or you know, not be able to get to the end of the game quickly and become bored. That would probably be the main reason why it was pretty much abandoned was that people had everything.
I played it non stop for ages and my factories were far form complete - or efficient. I still had a huge amount of work to do. Getting basic blocks is easy, getting high end stuff took a lot more effort.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 29 Aug 2012, 22:25

LS13 wrote:Or you know, not be able to get to the end of the game quickly and become bored. That would probably be the main reason why it was pretty much abandoned was that people had everything.
Alot of people didn't understand with tekkit that it isn't so much about the survival aspect and getting everything you possibly can, but about what you do with it. Tekkit's focus wasn't about who owned the much diamonds (Although at one point I had 8 crystal chests full of DB :o ), but mostly who owned the most impressive contraption. With all the mods in it, the possibilities of things you could explore were nearly endless, however players simply focused on gaining the most wealth, which had an effect into increasing the popularity of it.

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 30 Aug 2012, 01:08

Invunarble wrote:
Spoiler! :
Here's a few ideas I came up with over the duration of yesterday that *probably* would have made the Tekkit server more successful:
  • Either availability for all vets on the server, or a continuous non-stop "if you ever donated, you get to play" system
  • Better formation of advertising (As in, looped server messages, user-friendly instructions on installing the tekkit launcher, considering the server changed versions a few times, and the only way to find out how to change versions on the launcher was by word of mouth from the server)
  • Allowing applications for players to sort of "mentor" the tekkit server (I am sure there are a ton of people who would be interested in this)
  • Possibly implementing some more user-friendly plug ins (Towny was just a shit ton of information being thrown at you)
  • Some starter information on how some of the machines/objects from different mods worked
  • Possibly a bigger world with a rail system going around the main duration of it (Maykxor's project was far from finished)
None of this is destructive criticism at all, and although the tekkit server was an extremely bumpy road, I personally enjoyed my time there greatly, and during the time it has been up, it had much success to it. However, I personally feel that if some of these ideas had been implemented earlier on, the tekkit server may not have been as empty as it is now
Up till now it was "if you ever donated, you get to play", that period ends on Saturday.
As for all vets on the Tekkit server, the purpose of the Tekkit server was to be a playground for the mods, where they could play with each other without having to worry about moderation at all (hence the "if you grief anything, then you are gone from all servers" rule). Opening it to all vets would have brought in a lot more potential griefers, which would have ended in us having to moderate the server (which would have defeated the purpose of the server) and probably a long list of perma bans, followed by a long list of whining threads in the appeal section.
Mentors wouldn't have solved that problem, because Mentors, by our definition, don't moderate. They help new players. And most people who played on Tekkit didn't know Tekkit before, so who should we have given Mentor for that server.
Towny was the best protection plugin we could find, that worked with tekkit and didn't require Mod interaction. It isn't ideal but it is working.
As for the starter information, the Tekkit server proofed once again that players don't read the tutorial, it was extensive and explained most things you needed. We couldn't possibly cover all the plugins of tekkit, that is what the documentation on the internet is for, and if you can't figure out how to search for information about tekkit, then sorry, we can't help you.
The world was rather small, but Tekkit is very resource hungry, we didn't want to stretch our resources more then needed.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 30 Aug 2012, 02:59

mydrox wrote: Up till now it was "if you ever donated, you get to play", that period ends on Saturday.
Having this period stretch on indefinitely maybe would have boosted the popularity for people to joined. Placing a 2 month "trial period" on the Tekkit server seemed to give it rushed feeling to it - as in, the feeling of having a brief amount of time to try out what there is available on the server (as in, set up an energy condensor and dupe all the diamonds you can possibly imagine), and then leave.
mydrox wrote:As for all vets on the Tekkit server, -snip snip snip-
Mentors wouldn't have solved that problem, because Mentors, by our definition, don't moderate. They help new players. And most people who played on Tekkit didn't know Tekkit before, so who should we have given Mentor for that server.
This is where an application forum for volunteering to moderate tekkit would come in handy. By either opting for players to be accepted/denied on experience and history, or for players to be given a "trial period" where they are accepted, then tested in order to keep the job, would have solved the issue with potential griefers tremendously. This also goes hand in hand with a more user-friendly protection plugin - just look at how useful WorldGuard has been for the main server.
mydrox wrote:Towny was the best protection plugin we could find, that worked with tekkit and didn't require Mod interaction. It isn't ideal but it is working.
Yes, it does work, but it often does require a lot of trial and error to set up properly into an area, and even once you have everything running smoothly, Towny derps up occasionally, and you are left for a duration of time to sort that out. Combined with the fact that everything in Towny is chunk-based, if the admins could have put a bit of time before Tekkit's release to attempting to script a custom protection plugin, or even making WorldGuard compatible for tekkit, this bump in the road would've been smoothed over.
mydrox wrote:As for the starter information, the Tekkit server proofed -snipping motions-
This is a good point, I remember going through the tutorial and finding alot of the information being VERY cramped up. A larger spawn building, or warp signs to different branches of mods with brief run-downs on the basics of each one, or links to different wikis for each mod would've helped decrease the amount of searching required for setting yourself up in tekkit tremendously. It seemed to me that most new players to tekkit from the main server didn't understand some of the more in-depth features, and simply stuck to the features they were used to in vanilla Minecraft when playing on tekkit.
mydrox wrote:The world was rather small, but Tekkit is very resource hungry, we didn't want to stretch our resources more then needed.
Understandably, the tekkit server I noticed did seem to require alot of effort to run. Although a larger map would've been handy, it may not have been practical. However, this isn't what I was referring to; it was moreso the lack of accessibility. Once you were done with the tutorial, you were tossed straight out into the world to fend for yourself. As I said earlier, rails would've given more initiative to players to explore the far reaches of the tekkit map, instead of just huddle around the nearby area and barely venture into the far wilderness. A starter kit would've assisted with this as well, or even a closer city to live in to get yourself started (This is what my city's goal was, sadly due to the massive lag I got nearby, I was never able to fully implement this)

As I said earlier, take none of this as destructive criticism, it is all positive feedback for ideas that could have made the tekkti server run better. ;)

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 30 Aug 2012, 08:19

Yes!!

Inv, no, just... no
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

oli4uk

Post by oli4uk » 30 Aug 2012, 10:04

If it would save the server I would be happy to donate some time towards building a 'How to Build a D*mn Factory' section for the tutorial :p

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 30 Aug 2012, 15:08

Why so much arguing Inv :/
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 30 Aug 2012, 15:24

LS13 wrote:Why so much arguing Inv :/
y i no vet

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Aug 2012, 21:59

Invunarble wrote:
LS13 wrote:Why so much arguing Inv :/
y i no vet
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 31 Aug 2012, 11:09

End of the (tekkit) world in 2012? The Mayans predicted it I say!
Invunarble wrote:
This is where an application forum for volunteering to moderate tekkit would come in handy.
What could go wrong?
WWTDD

Victini998
Retired

Post by Victini998 » 05 Sep 2012, 14:34

well... time to get rid of Tekkit.. does anyone know how to uninstall mods?
Retired Mentor (2013-2014)

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 06 Sep 2012, 11:04

Just reinstall your minecraft, unless you used the tekkit launcher, in which case just don't use it.
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Sep 2012, 20:52

Update: Terrible things have happened to the Tekkit server as we enter its winter days. It has suffered a coronary deficiency, natural of its predetermined old age, and was rushed to Dallas General before it was remembered that servers aren't people, so it has now been thrown into a bin while men used to fixing cars search for replacement parts.

Not to worry folks, we are certain, though with steadily increasing doubt and apathy, that the Tekkit server will not be out of action for long. It should be back with us in about a day, or dead. We're optimistic here at Escapecraft though.

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 09 Sep 2012, 22:27

Lord_Mountbatten wrote: We're optimistic here at Escapecraft though.
I am currently "outside" of Escapecraft and cynically hope it dies in fire and brimstone