New world?

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
rygy9

New world?

Post by rygy9 » 30 Jul 2012, 18:12

Now before you jump to a conclusion, this is NOT a request, it's just me pondering about and wondering what's best for the general peoples. So I joined Tekkit recently, and am already pretty far into it, but the one thing I feel is missing is, well, people. There is NEVER a person on the server but me, and Mydrox at times, who tends to be afk a lot or working hard. And when I joined, I noticed that the entire world is sort of... in ruins. Everything is destroyed. People have gone CRAZY with TnT and whatever else they've used, and the world looks a mess. I'm not going to call a vote or anything on this, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one to enjoy a fresh world. I think the newcomers would enjoy it even more. I had trouble finding land that wasn't cuboided or breaching the "20 block rule". This is just a suggestion, or even a request, but please consider this. And leave your thoughts too, I'd like to know what people think. Thanks. :)
People say practice makes perfect. They also say that nobody is perfect. So I say, why practice?

MrWhales

Re: New world?

Post by MrWhales » 30 Jul 2012, 21:51

rygy9 wrote: had trouble finding land that wasn't cuboided or breaching the "20 block rule".
This is 1000% unrelated, but if I remember right, the rule used to be more than 20 blocks, or possibly out-of-sight. Just reminiscing.

thonnas_hp

Post by thonnas_hp » 31 Jul 2012, 14:31

I haven't logged in in some time, but if it's not been obliterated, feel free to build near my half built compound in the southeast (or what ever the bottom right of the map was/is). I've grown a bit bored with tekkit, so don't plan on utilizing all the land I claimed with my glass fence. Just don't bugger my compound or bunkers.

It's a swamp area near the edge of the map. As long as some jerk hasn't frosted over the ocean, it should be an easy boat ride (at least until you hit a lily pad, but then you know you're practically there.
I've gotta funny feelin' that my times are caught in a jar.
Thonnas_HP, aka |:|Falcon|:| (steamid: paxbrevis)

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 31 Jul 2012, 15:25

thonnas_hp wrote:As long as some jerk hasn't frosted over the ocean,
*hides in a nearby convinently placed box* Wasn't me...
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

Maykxor
Site Contributor

Post by Maykxor » 01 Aug 2012, 16:19

You know what? I'd actually really like this! I've recently started making "Join me as I play" videos with minecraft for youtube and it'd be fun to have a new world to start a tekkit series in and possibly a friend or two to join me with the adventure? :D Again, like rygy said, just a potential thought.
Some people think in pictures, others think in words. I think in pictures with subtitles.
Quotes from cool people I've met over the years:
sobamushi "Maykxor your avatar makes me wanna dance ._.! "
MissKatieKillU: "WHAT THE F***ING F*** IS GOING ON IN MY F***ING ROLEPLAY?"
"I think you may have problems, my friend."
Sole ScuroThis: "This is the part where you scream sexual slurs in my face and I belt you."

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 01 Aug 2012, 17:51

I put a million krill that quite a few people actually won't support this idea because "they have worked hard on what they have! and they don't want it to be destroyed". Because that arguement comes up every single time anyone has ever sugested a wipe, which has been everytime a world comes into existance, and it has only happened twice(Ver1 to Ver2, then Ver2 to Ver3, and if we had had multiworlds back then, it probably wouldn't have.

That being said, I am almost always for a wipe, fresh chance. And don't let what I said trick you, cause if someone actually does like their stuff that much, they sorta deserve to keep it.

welwyn

Post by welwyn » 01 Aug 2012, 18:12

If I recall correctly we have World Edit in tekkit, so saving particular areas won't be hard.

I'm in favour of a wipe if people are allowed to keep their buildings if they want.

HOWEVER. This means work for mods and other staff, and that is not the idea for tekkit. The idea was a playground for staff to relax and have fun, without the need to moderate or otherwise have duties for a few hours play. Restoring saved areas and dealing with "my stuff got wiped, helppp" complaints is far and against the reasons the server was made.

Provide a workaround for staff problems, and it will likely be looked into with more interest.

Maykxor
Site Contributor

Post by Maykxor » 01 Aug 2012, 20:20

What about... like we do in the main server. Don't wipe it but rather just add on a new world. We could have the tekkit server have a hub (which can even be designed by players in an event possibly, best tekkit hub gets used in tekkit) and then we have multiple worlds that players can go to without fear of losing their previous work. This also reduces the demand on staff to simply linking up teleporters to the old map and a randomly gen-ed world and maybe 1 or 2 WE commands to get the hub going?

Just an idea and I have no clue how feasible it would be but I thought to at least throw it out there.
Some people think in pictures, others think in words. I think in pictures with subtitles.
Sole ScuroThis: "This is the part where you scream sexual slurs in my face and I belt you."

rygy9

Post by rygy9 » 01 Aug 2012, 22:12

+1 to Maykxor's comment. If it's possible to do that then it would be great! Thanks guys for considering it, I was just expecting a ton of hate. :D
People say practice makes perfect. They also say that nobody is perfect. So I say, why practice?

thonnas_hp

Post by thonnas_hp » 02 Aug 2012, 00:53

It seemed like an awfully small world to me from the beginning.
I've gotta funny feelin' that my times are caught in a jar.
Thonnas_HP, aka |:|Falcon|:| (steamid: paxbrevis)

welwyn

Post by welwyn » 02 Aug 2012, 06:26

problem with adding new worlds is the performance hit. as chunks are used with anchors, they are constantly loaded, so performance over time would suck, without constantly adding new hardware, and who pays for that?

motormaniac
Retired

Post by motormaniac » 02 Aug 2012, 13:54

I myself am for this, maybe make a new map temporarily to give people a chance to move their buildings to it, then when its all said and done, delete the old one. I know it was thought out to be a mods playground but a lot of people have come to like it a lot more than that, including myself.

Maykxor
Site Contributor

Post by Maykxor » 02 Aug 2012, 16:31

In response to anchors slowing down the server, I can think of 2 solutions. The easiest being to ban them. The second solution being (if possible), we make a clock that anchors sections of the world at different times. So, like divide up the worlds into quadrants and the server will anchor each quadrant for an hour or so before shutting off and switching to the next. That way players wont complain about not having an anchor and all areas get anchored evenly and the pressure on the server is reduced to the single anchored quadrant and what other chunks players are in at the time. (Like i said, don't know if possible, just throwing an idea out to see if it would work.)

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 02 Aug 2012, 18:53

Maykxor wrote:In response to anchors slowing down the server, I can think of 2 solutions. The easiest being to ban them. The second solution being (if possible), we make a clock that anchors sections of the world at different times. So, like divide up the worlds into quadrants and the server will anchor each quadrant for an hour or so before shutting off and switching to the next. That way players wont complain about not having an anchor and all areas get anchored evenly and the pressure on the server is reduced to the single anchored quadrant and what other chunks players are in at the time. (Like i said, don't know if possible, just throwing an idea out to see if it would work.)
BRILLIANT!

That's a great idea, now to see if it's easy enough to do. :P
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

steveab
Escapecraft Head

Post by steveab » 08 Aug 2012, 11:35

World edit does not play nice with tekkit, we will not be able to move people's creations even if we were happy with the increased workload.