Wha chu playin fo'?

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
comic_sans
Retired

Wha chu playin fo'?

Post by comic_sans » 30 May 2012, 12:24

As a guy "pursuing" a career in psychology, it constantly amazes me what this game says about those who play it; the way we all play is surprisingly telling of different traits of our personalities. I do art, I make pretty things, my programmer friends make redstone nonsense, another friend makes superefficient machines, a biology major works primarily with oddly connected geometric shapes, and another trainwatcher friend engineers railways; the manifestations of these funny quirks just fascinates me.

So, I'm wondering; what do YOU guys play for? Do you play with proportion? Do you like seeing a piston machine work flawlessly, or, barring that, do you ACTUALLY [url=http://www.if_so_youre_batshit_crazy.com]enjoy troubleshooting circuits[/url]? Do you like organizing people so many work as one? There's a ton of people on here, and I'd like to see more perspectives than what my IRL friend groups allow. Once you all throw out some options, I'll probably add a poll later just to get some numbers.
1 weird old tip
don't drown

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Re: Wha chu playin fo'?

Post by Jake55778 » 30 May 2012, 12:34

I mine for diamonds in the hope of one day having enough to single-handedly crash the server economy. Not really related to any of my hobbies or interests I just find mining relaxing.
comic_sans wrote: I do art
Awesome, what kind? Have you posted anything in the art thread?
The staff here are all trolls

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 30 May 2012, 12:42

I enjoy redstone and the modding community (hence why im way back here in 1.8.1). And its a nice way to get far away friends.
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 30 May 2012, 13:04

I used to love lego when I was a kid. I guess I just like building stuff. The community here is pretty sweet too, I doubt I would still be playing MC as much if I didn't play in this server.
WWTDD

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 30 May 2012, 13:53

I am EXACTLY the same as Wasder. I really only enjoy building in Minecraft, usually on a large scale. And I definitely wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the community.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 30 May 2012, 14:07

I like building huge skyscrapers and ginormous cities to brag about...

No, for the most part I mostly love PvPing (except against Chandler) and lighting lots of TNT
In fact, I was having a pretty shitty day yesterday, but after slaying five players in PvP I felt alot better.
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 30 May 2012, 14:57

I barely play (I find Minecraft pretty boring), I'm mostly here for the staff duties, writing opportunities and community.

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 30 May 2012, 15:03

I originally started playing the game because I liked the idea of having a whole endless world worth of things to explore. Pretty scenery, scary cave systems, all that jazz.

Hell, if 'explorer' was a viable career option I might have done it. :P

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 30 May 2012, 15:10

I originally started playing because I enjoy building castles and other fortifications, later for staff duties, and eventually just for the community.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 30 May 2012, 15:17

I enjoy being creative and building things... and stuff...

Also I have stayed on Escapecraft for the community and how awesome You the players are. Everyone one of you is a pleasure to play with that it keeps me here.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 May 2012, 15:22

I am secretly gaining the resources to build a giant series of phallus's with each one being made entirely out of 1 block.

I mean I play for the community... and lava... :?
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Dominikvl9965

Post by Dominikvl9965 » 30 May 2012, 15:26

I started playing minecraft when I heard about the yogscast in 2010 watched all there videos and then in 2011 I bought the game.
It's about who your are now, that's what counts mate.
-Modocam

J4Numbers
Numbers

Post by J4Numbers » 30 May 2012, 15:29

Had a friend who had the game, started playing.
Never stopped
End of story

comic_sans
Retired

Post by comic_sans » 30 May 2012, 16:05

Interesting! And quick responses. I hadn't even thought of managing the server as an enjoyable activity in its own right, but there you go. Some people play instruments, others conduct, still others make the instruments. Gold.

And yes, a large, decent, ACTIVE community like this one makes for kind of a shared suspension of disbelief that I find enjoyable. Even if people I'm not too fond of are yappin' in /g or someone obnoxiously refuses to learn chat channels, it adds a sustainable sense of life and variety that just doesn't happen in any of the other servers I've been in, and I'm grateful for all of it. While bills and IRL socializing and actual life shit are all well and good, it's nice to realize that I only paid 20$ (initially) for a number of unique, surprisingly drama-laden social interactions and an opportunity to, well...

In 8th grade, I read The Fountainhead, and in 9th grade, I took architecture. I dreamed of long nights spent with a white pencil and blue paper making structural art, but real life and class had me making rancher-home load calculations in autocad, and fart on that. I guess this sates my desire for building places for people to experience.

Also, legos. I won't post any of my other art for privacy's sake, but after 10 years or so of not touching them, I made a very nice lego model with LDD and bought it. I'll post it in the near future.

Keep postin', this is nifty. Blows my mind that this game is so many games.
1 weird old tip
don't drown

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Post by SneakyPie » 30 May 2012, 16:20

Lego fiend as a child. I also love exploring open worlds and seeing what scenery is out there.

I could get into the beginnings and creation of the server, but that is a tired tale that everyone knows. Minecraft has become old most of the time and I just enjoy the community while working on a new project for the community which is super hush-hush.

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 30 May 2012, 17:25

Although I certainly did not buy the game for this, what I love most is building towns, directing people to build towns, or directing people to build massive scale projects.

I still question if I'm actually good at it or not, but when you got 20 people doing what you told them to do and are building something quite impressive it makes this game worth it's money.

There are a lot of downsides to doing this though and I find my self sitting on the sidelines more and more now. The longer I do that, the less interested I get with Minecraft.
USSR. United. Soviet. Saphirian. Republiks. That's how you spell it.

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 30 May 2012, 20:24

Yeah, I was obsessed with legos as a kid too... I just like creating stuff in games I guess. In NFS: Carbon I spent more time making my car look nice than actually racing it. :lol:
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 30 May 2012, 23:25

Well, I grew up with Legos, Erector sets, and model rockets. I've found that an enjoyment of building things and being an engineer go hand in hand. Fast forward some 35 years and I discovered this place. I started just surviving, then got IC fever. Lately, I've been building a new shack while slowly assimilating into the larger community...
Which leads to this:

welwyn

Post by welwyn » 31 May 2012, 05:01

I started playing a while ago after hearing about minecraft from my cousin. Since then I have tried almost everything and the thing that keeps me coming back to play, day after day, is the community. Being able to help a new player with a situation or helping a seasoned vet with a complex issue each bring their own ego boosting feelings, something that most games dont offer on a daily basis.

Seeing the gratitude from players after helping them with a build problem, or a technical issue, is more fun than just building imo, in fact most of my projects havnt been touched in months!

StealthyCake
Retired

Post by StealthyCake » 31 May 2012, 10:05

I play to relax and have fun! i also like the caves and the endless possibilities of the game! :D

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 31 May 2012, 16:48

I also was very fond of Lego and remember a lot of memories building them and doing stuff with them. Heck I still have a lot of lego sets I have displayed on my various shelves.

Minecraft for me though, I'm not entirely sure why I'm into it. At first I wanted to build huge towers and vast hotels, basically anything that would take a long time to complete so I could sink my teeth into them. I say that because when I just made a house the process was over so quick it never sated me. Heck my very very first thing I was thinking of building was a wood house on a beach, but as I built it I wanted to make it bigger and bigger and well it transformed into a huge tower.

Now as some of you know I work on the IC project, that in and of itself was something so daring and huge that simply screamed at me to work on. Its been over a year now and its still being worked on! That I seem to have a knack for erasing huge areas with tools and the understanding of explosives, more so than actually building stuff. Actually I now remember seeing the IC project on the escapist and how after it was "done" that the next big thing would be to do a 1:1 remake of the SSV2 Normandy from Mass Effect 2. I love that game, I love Science Fiction, and I LOVE Spaceships among all those. I'm thinking I'll just head that project up myself since Lionheart is still not around at this time.

Invunarble
Site Contributor

Post by Invunarble » 31 May 2012, 17:55

Infesord wrote: Now as some of you know I work on the IC project, that in and of itself was something so daring and huge that simply screamed at me to work on. Its been over a year now and its still being worked on! That I seem to have a knack for erasing huge areas with tools and the understanding of explosives, more so than actually building stuff. Actually I now remember seeing the IC project on the escapist and how after it was "done" that the next big thing would be to do a 1:1 remake of the SSV2 Normandy from Mass Effect 2. I love that game, I love Science Fiction, and I LOVE Spaceships among all those. I'm thinking I'll just head that project up myself since Lionheart is still not around at this time.
In that case, I would gladly love to assist with a 1:1 scale remake of the Normandy, I was hoping I could've done something similar in my proposed Mass Effect big build, but I doubt that will be happening any time soon with the new Masterbuilder.

Please, do let me know when you decide to start a Normandy, I would really love to assist with that.
"The roses are red, but Invunarble is blue. Hit him with a puma." - Vallorn
"Baked fucking potato" - Lord Mountbatten, 2014

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 31 May 2012, 18:59

Usually I get on for the community. I only come here to have a slight connection for when I get on. I do enjoy some of the sillier threads though.

As far as the game goes, I am usually on for mentoring duties(I like new players much more than everyone else, excluding mentors and staff, I love them). But occasionally if I stay on when noone is asking mentor-answerable questions it is because I am exploring or building stuff.

If you look at my latest builds you'll see that I like to take natural oddities and build off them to make something that looks good, works well and is professionally done. The Hill is one of my greatest achievments, for those who don't know it's a hollowed out hill with grass/trees/flowers/river on the inside. ilikefoxes666 and I spent several days doing it. Another time I turned a natural cave into a complex of underground village with each "house" acting as a different room, the furnace house, tree farm house, etc. I like stuff like that. Most of my stuff is underground because I like to conserve the landscapes and I can either make a nice interior or a nice exterior, so I choose to hide the ugly under a mountain, or the ocean(which I plan to do)

So I either am doing my duties, or I am attempting grand projects that will live on once I finally leave. Although I'll never leave for good.

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 31 May 2012, 20:22

Infesord wrote: I'm thinking I'll just head that project up myself since Lionheart is still not around at this time.
I can ask him about it for you. That said, I can almost guarantee you the answer will be "not now", due to PhD work and such.
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

LS13
Retired

Post by LS13 » 01 Jun 2012, 12:31

Legos. That is all.
Daemon wrote:I'm going to draw the fuck out of this egg.

steveab
Escapecraft Head

Post by steveab » 02 Jun 2012, 00:53

Restone circuits. I am one of those wierd people who like bug fixing and fine tuning until a circuit works perfectly, it is immensely satisfying.

Fealuinix
Retired

Post by Fealuinix » 10 Jun 2012, 18:03

I'm mostly interested in solid geometry. I try to include some element of solid geometry in everything I build. I'm currently building a tower that, aside from having several golden rectangles in its design, has a crown that resembles half of a rhombic dodecahedron.

dombyrne13

Post by dombyrne13 » 10 Jun 2012, 20:29

Red stone machines mainly. I seem to be obsessed with efficiency and compactness in improving the designs of red stone machines. Through this I'm not bad with red stone and while not nearly as adept as Steve I think it makes up for my blatant inadequacies as an aesthetically builder.

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 11 Jun 2012, 04:00

I got Minecraft two years ago becouse some friends made me, I never seem to get into it as they always started a new server and I had to start over all the time. Then I desided I should try out one of the many servers out there, and at the end I found Escapecraft from the article about The Imperial City on The Escapist. I was dragged in by the community and I ended up starting to help out with IC as I loved to dig, but I had always wanted to build something big, and then I got into the whole Redstone thing, so I ended up building my cacti farm, lots of small auto farms and other small redstone fun stuff, and big towers and castles of nethery sexyness.
But mostly now I stay becouse of the community and that I have all my creations on this server, if something where to happend and either all the worlds where whiped again, or the community for some reason disbaned, I would most likely never play Minecraft again.
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr