Wonderful News (Christmas Shindig)

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Wonderful News (Christmas Shindig)

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 13 Dec 2011, 16:39

I finally got coaxed out of retirement with promises that on retrospect probably won't live up to any kind of expectation I desire.

However, I shall be conducting a one-off Christmas-themed Shindig. It shall not be on Christmas itself, because I want to enjoy time away from here then. It shall be however, on Friday the 23rd, 9pm GMT (I leave everyone to guess what time it will be for them, because I think that will be funny).

As before, the Shindig shall be hosted on our Ventrilo server, the details to which can be found here.

As per my custom, the Shindig will probably last around a timeframe of 5-6 hours, which means if you don't think you can make it to the starting time, you may still have time to appear later on.

And of course for the people who are only going to be there for the pre-recordings (I know I am), they will of course be put up in the list.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Re: Wonderful News (Christmas Shindig)

Post by Milo_Windby » 13 Dec 2011, 16:44

I am very excited for this and feel jovial =D

I will be there for sure.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 13 Dec 2011, 16:52

Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 13 Dec 2011, 16:57

O_O omgyayayayayay I was gunna ask you about a Christmas shindig soon aswell :D best get some requests for it then!

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 13 Dec 2011, 17:04

Could i request this for no other reason than it reminds me of christmas because thats when i heard it first and it has snow at the start?

Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 13 Dec 2011, 22:37

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMOGOMGOMGOMOGOM

Must find requests!

givemeabreak432
Retired

Post by givemeabreak432 » 13 Dec 2011, 23:16

Oh hell yeah!

jonnybo72

Post by jonnybo72 » 13 Dec 2011, 23:23

Dont stop me now by queen

cause we dont wanna stop or something cheesy like that
Last edited by jonnybo72 on 15 Dec 2011, 02:03, edited 1 time in total.
(\ /)
( ._. )
(V V)
FRIGGIN BUNNY

Hytro
Retired

Post by Hytro » 14 Dec 2011, 06:05

Yey, I get Shindig on my birthday :D I will take this as my birthday shindig, no matter what anyone says! Me, not Christmas muhahahah!!! I just stole Christmas!

I will request this:
Last edited by Hytro on 14 Dec 2011, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Iya AyemMeht YahklemOhtYoodtRoht DothAyemEkemDothRothIyaCess LyrOthRothDoth
Iya WebIyaLyrLyr CessOhtNethSethYoodtMehtEkem YahkemOthYoodtRoth SethOhtYoodtLyr

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 14 Dec 2011, 06:13

also play this please.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 14 Dec 2011, 08:10

:O

Very Excitied.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 14 Dec 2011, 13:11

Blackadder51 wrote::O

Very Excitied.
Spoiler! :

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Spyboticsguy

Post by Spyboticsguy » 14 Dec 2011, 15:21

Your plans have been foiled.
Last edited by Spyboticsguy on 19 Dec 2011, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 14 Dec 2011, 16:18

My requests

ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

Post by 697134002 » 14 Dec 2011, 18:07

The Bum wrote:
Richard Dawkins wrote:I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 14 Dec 2011, 23:29

Yeeeeeeeeeeah! :D
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 17 Dec 2011, 11:23

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 19 Dec 2011, 14:43

Oh yeah, because of things involving other things, the Shindig will be delayed by an hour. It may run on longer than that, in which case I shall not beg anyone's forgiveness at all.

In essence:

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 20 Dec 2011, 12:48

have some light reading on lord mountbatman. (this is from a cracked article i found)
(http://www.cracked.com/article_19587_5- ... n-war.html)
Spoiler! :
On one morning in 1942, the British Lord Louis Mountbatten up and decided to invade France. Normally an easy task for anyone to accomplish, this time there were a few key differences. One, this was in the middle of World War II, so France was being occupied by the Nazis. And two, he did it without bothering to tell anyone on his side.

He literally launched an invasion and didn't bother to let his superiors or just about any of the Allied command know what he was about to do. He ordered thousands of Canadian, British and American troops to capture the French coastal town of Dieppe and create a beachhead. What could honestly go wrong with this?

The Screw-Up:
Since Mountbatten didn't bother to tell anyone about his plans, the force was sent in lacking many things a normal invasion force would have, such as proper resources, intelligence and also the backing of the British Home Command. Generally speaking, half-assed attacks without any support never really end well, and the Dieppe Raid was no exception.

To start things off, Mountbatten's "plan" relied heavily on surprise, of which the British had none since SPOILER ALERT: the Germans knew they were coming.
From the moment the troops hit the beaches, the whole operation was screwed. Mountbatten had set his "plans" up like dominoes; if one thing went wrong, everything else failed. Sure enough, mere minutes after leaving for the beaches, boats began to get disoriented in the early morning darkness. When the Allied troops hit the beaches, all hell broke loose.

They suffered a mind-blowing 73 percent loss rate. A whopping 100 percent of the equipment (tanks, jeeps, etc.) that landed on the beach was lost. After several hours of fighting, what was left of the Allied troops ran back for the boats in the most unorganized retreat imaginable, leaving the Nazis with a huge victory, and left Mountbatten as pretty much the most hated military figure in Canada.

But It Turned Out ...
It's comforting to know that your disastrous failure could at least show somebody smarter than you how to succeed. That's exactly what happened here -- that clusterfuck of an invasion attempt gave the Allies precious info on how to handle an amphibious invasion in the future, particularly on D-Day.

They now knew they'd need a large artillery barrage beforehand, paratroopers to land behind enemy lines and a far more flexible plan to account for conditions on the shore. It even led to the creation of a special tank just for D-Day, after every tank that landed at Dieppe was destroyed.
After the war, many military commanders remarked at the importance of the Dieppe invasion toward the victory at D-Day, with Winston Churchill himself saying that Dieppe was "an indispensable preliminary to full-scale operations."

But the most important lesson was never put this man in charge.
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

The Bum
Retired

Post by The Bum » 20 Dec 2011, 15:01

Darktaint wrote:have some light reading on lord mountbatman. (this is from a cracked article i found)
(http://www.cracked.com/article_19587_5- ... n-war.html)
Spoiler! :
On one morning in 1942, the British Lord Louis Mountbatten up and decided to invade France. Normally an easy task for anyone to accomplish, this time there were a few key differences. One, this was in the middle of World War II, so France was being occupied by the Nazis. And two, he did it without bothering to tell anyone on his side.

He literally launched an invasion and didn't bother to let his superiors or just about any of the Allied command know what he was about to do. He ordered thousands of Canadian, British and American troops to capture the French coastal town of Dieppe and create a beachhead. What could honestly go wrong with this?

The Screw-Up:
Since Mountbatten didn't bother to tell anyone about his plans, the force was sent in lacking many things a normal invasion force would have, such as proper resources, intelligence and also the backing of the British Home Command. Generally speaking, half-assed attacks without any support never really end well, and the Dieppe Raid was no exception.

To start things off, Mountbatten's "plan" relied heavily on surprise, of which the British had none since

SPOILER ALERT: the Germans knew they were coming.
From the moment the troops hit the beaches, the whole operation was screwed. Mountbatten had set his "plans" up like dominoes; if one thing went wrong, everything else failed. Sure enough, mere minutes after leaving for the beaches, boats began to get disoriented in the early morning darkness. When the Allied troops hit the beaches, all hell broke loose.

They suffered a mind-blowing 73 percent loss rate. A whopping 100 percent of the equipment (tanks, jeeps, etc.) that landed on the beach was lost. After several hours of fighting, what was left of the Allied troops ran back for the boats in the most unorganized retreat imaginable, leaving the Nazis with a huge victory, and left Mountbatten as pretty much the most hated military figure in Canada.

But It Turned Out ...
It's comforting to know that your disastrous failure could at least show somebody smarter than you how to succeed. That's exactly what happened here -- that clusterfuck of an invasion attempt gave the Allies precious info on how to handle an amphibious invasion in the future, particularly on D-Day.

They now knew they'd need a large artillery barrage beforehand, paratroopers to land behind enemy lines and a far more flexible plan to account for conditions on the shore. It even led to the creation of a special tank just for D-Day, after every tank that landed at Dieppe was destroyed.
After the war, many military commanders remarked at the importance of the Dieppe invasion toward the victory at D-Day, with Winston Churchill himself saying that Dieppe was "an indispensable preliminary to full-scale operations."

But the most important lesson was never put this man in charge.
Too bad the entire article is ridiculously inaccurate...
ImageImage
Non sibi sed patriae

andy25100
Retired

Post by andy25100 » 20 Dec 2011, 16:52

This, this, a thousand times this.
"They'll tear you apart, bone by bone... ...and build with you a human throne. Their buck- toothed king will sit upon What once was you, but now is gone. This key unlocks the gates of Hell. Steady traveler, use it well." - Grim Fandango - Poem of the Flaming Demon Beavers

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 20 Dec 2011, 16:56

here we see an excellent image of our great and mighty Louis Mountbatten cupping the royal bosom of the Prince of Whales.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 20 Dec 2011, 17:12

Hoho, no one else could get away with that.

And yes, that Cracked article is wonderfully inaccurate. "Invade France" indeed. I did like the "medal for smuggest smile" bit though.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 23 Dec 2011, 08:58

8 hours and counting.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 23 Dec 2011, 09:04

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:8 hours and counting.
Sheldon Me Gusta.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Spyboticsguy

Post by Spyboticsguy » 23 Dec 2011, 09:56

-sigh- I'm going to have to possibly pass this up. Will there be a recording as per the usual?

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 23 Dec 2011, 11:07

Well I won't be able to be there for all of it, but I'll try to catch the first part. I'm glad you're doing another of these, Lord. They're tons o' fun.

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 23 Dec 2011, 11:27

Spyboticsguy wrote:-sigh- I'm going to have to possibly pass this up. Will there be a recording as per the usual?
I've only ever recorded one full Shindig. The pre-recordings however will be put up as usual.

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 23 Dec 2011, 11:29

I am looking forward to this very much... each hour I have to watch tick by slowly is painful.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 23 Dec 2011, 16:16

40 minutes or thereabout and counting.