Happy Birthday TERRA!

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Happy Birthday TERRA!

Post by MayorLennie » 07 Dec 2011, 10:49

So wokka told me that today Dec 7 is Terra's Birthday on the server - its 1 Year old!

I wasn't around back then, and I don't know much about Terra at all...so I was hoping you guys could post pictures and stories about Terra...

Maybe later the Ops will give us cake to celebrate, well, I hope / wish! :)

Happy Birthday Terra!
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

Wildwill002

Re: Happy Birthday TERRA!

Post by Wildwill002 » 07 Dec 2011, 11:18

Happeh birthday terra! I first came on when it was six days old... so happeh...
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

Furdabip
Poop

Post by Furdabip » 07 Dec 2011, 11:36

Yay, Terra.

I first came on when it was a month old. Built a giant pit from water level to bedrock and the rest is history.

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 07 Dec 2011, 11:42

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERRA ! lol

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 07 Dec 2011, 14:36

Fun fact: We nearly built a small starting settlement at the spawn point, then someone failed at World Edit so badly that we changed our ideas.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Dec 2011, 15:29

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Fun fact: We nearly built a small starting settlement at the spawn point, then someone failed at World Edit so badly that we changed our ideas.
ouch... i wonder who that could be... ;)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 07 Dec 2011, 15:48

I remember when Terra first opened... Good times... A lot of people dying that day though, as we were still rather new to survival.
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Lefthit

Post by Lefthit » 07 Dec 2011, 16:10

who remembers the VCLB ?

;[

Dont worry terra, i have my own Bantrap on my property in south terra!
GO LAKERS
Lava and diamonds and lava and diamonds

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 07 Dec 2011, 16:17

Lefthit wrote:who remembers the VCLB ?
I remember being present for its creation and for making the thread that called for and led to its removal. I was possibly there when it was dismantled too.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Dec 2011, 16:50

speaking of Terra. while abusing Speed2 potions (purely recreational) i happened accross Temple11 with its Bindstone intact.

whoever understands what im talking about gets a hug.

and with regards to the VCLB. i used to run laps around it when i got bored. i think i made some mods exceptionally furious with me and some laughed their asses off.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 07 Dec 2011, 16:52

And others simply waited.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 07 Dec 2011, 17:32

Ah, Terra. Approximately one year ago, I began my journey to the Deep South, where I found an exceptional overhang overlooking the (then circular and invisible) border. And I made a bunker. And over the subsequent months, my one-man force of nature eroded the overhang until it was flat. I marched out with a map in my hand internet window seeking vast quantities of clay. I baked tens of stacks of stone and crafted hundreds of torches. Eventually, my baby emerged.
Ah, memories. <3

ziggylord

Post by ziggylord » 07 Dec 2011, 18:01

i remember when i first went on terra...
i got lost in Corinth and suzzy was all *rageface* cause he was leading me to his soon to be town.... i miss that place //nostalgia. the smell of luke burning pigs for there delicious meat... the satisfying feeling after placing over 2 double-chests of dirt and looking at the beautiful island.... im now part of the group that deprived Corinth of its faction status .-. WOO! USSR! FTW!

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 07 Dec 2011, 18:19

USSR never deprived Corinth of its faction status; Jag disappeared, and I ended up moving on. USSR still continues to survive only because its leadership is currently active. There was a point in time in the summer when it was mostly dead. I'd expect the same will happen to Corinth once Jag becomes more active and a new town is founded.

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 07 Dec 2011, 19:13

the good old VCLB ... Cho nearly banned me at one time, because on his screen I was touching it :mrgreen: . Also “Long live the Flowertower”.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 07 Dec 2011, 19:16

mydrox wrote:the good old VCLB ... Cho nearly banned me at one time, because on his screen I was touching it :mrgreen: . Also “Long live the Flowertower”.
you got SOOO much Lava from V88 for that thing before you found your own...
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Taco_of_Flames
Location: According to this conveniently placed map, I am here.

Post by Taco_of_Flames » 07 Dec 2011, 19:40

Wow. A whole year. I remember back when I first built my house in Corinth. The entire city has just changed so much since then, but the house is still just a stone tower with a convenient location. Used to be my glass house was out in the middle of the wilderness, then Corinth grew right up next to it. It's been a true blast to watch Corinth and the rest of Terra(not to mention Escapecraft) change with time. Here's to another year!

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 07 Dec 2011, 20:36

Ah Terra, I very much enjoy wandering the wilderness in search of ancient and abandoned towns, structures, and railways. It's always a thrill to find something long-forgotten, makes me feel like an archeologist. Signs especially are a great window into the past.

I don't think I've actually built anything in Terra, except for my plot in Blackwater.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 07 Dec 2011, 22:28

Sorry I'm late replying to this, I had hoped to have time this morning to post it, but thank you Lennie for bringing this up. We were kinda busy this morning and I'm out of town with work, been a very long day.

Anyway, Terra (version 3) came about due to a player vote on the server forums, ver2 was having issues, technical, design and the players thought we were low on resources, well, there was a severe lack of clay mainly, and I joined the server during this vote, and soon after I came to be admin, the vote was called and we declared that there would indeed be a wipe.

I immediately started working with SneakyPie on building a new world, it was our first Dev server and we spent hours looking for the perfect seed. Once it was found, the staff started building things around the spawn, but as noted above, due to a derp with WE, and Sneaky and Collin decided on a new direction for the story and to put in the ruins and temples with the wrecked ship at spawn.

It took us roughly 6 days of heavy work to get everything ready, and while doing that, we were attempting to generate the world. Back then, we didn't have all of the fancy tools we do now, we had to run around to generate the world. As many of you remember, Terra was 3500 radius back then, and with no ability to tp to coordinates, jumpass, fly, sprint or anything, we had to hoof it everywhere. We didn't generate the whole world before we went live, but we did most of it.

Another thing that came along with Terra was a stable chest locking plugin, prior to then, we didn't have LWC (it came out just about the same time as Terra) and the old one would reset everyone's locks whenever the server had to restart, so it was pointless.

As Sneaky has said, you guys have it so good, the amount of plugins and the stability of the server now is astounding to what Minecraft would do to us back then. Rarely do we have any just random lockups now, back then, we'd have at least 4 or 5 lockups a week, and of course it wouldn't happen at a good time when we had an admin online.

Just a little trip down memory lane, hope you enjoyed it, its been a very good year for the server and here's to a few more!

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 07 Dec 2011, 22:44

wokka1 wrote:As many of you remember, Terra was 3500 radius back then, and with no ability to tp to coordinates, jumpass, fly, sprint or anything, we had to hoof it everywhere.
Actually, if I remember correctly, it was originally 2500 radius before being expanded to 3500, and subsequently shrunk to a 4000x4000 square for the big flush. As a long-time border resident, I think I would know. :)

MayorLennie
Site Contributor

Post by MayorLennie » 08 Dec 2011, 09:50

wokka1 wrote: Back then, we didn't have all of the fancy tools we do now, we had to run around to generate the world. As many of you remember, Terra was 3500 radius back then, and with no ability to tp to coordinates, jumpass, fly, sprint or anything, we had to hoof it everywhere. We didn't generate the whole world before we went live, but we did most of it.

-snip-

Just a little trip down memory lane, hope you enjoyed it, its been a very good year for the server and here's to a few more!
Thanks for taking the time to explain it better, to tell us "the story" - my very first day on the server I took the Terra path...and got hopelessly lost in Solake...and yeah it was like a ghost-town but I could tell that there had been some hardcore player action in that world, and wanted to become part of it, as I admired the builds, read the signs ...

So I took my knocks, died from skellies and falling / drowning, kept exploring...ended up getting a chunk of ground in Fyra near the rails because a player took pity on me when I asked for help and thought I was going to starve to death LOL they gave me a pork chop and a few stacks of cobble to toss up a shelter.

This puts it in perspective when I walk there, I can see why the nostalgia, when it was such a hands on experience with that world. I really look forward to Borjan, being part of a new world on the server, and wondering how far we'll be one year from now, on its birthday.

I always intended to go back to Terra and stake out a claim, it was my "first world" too.

yeah Happy Birthday Terra
"No one can escape the inevitable envelopment of will and desire that is Escapecraft. Bring him here." -- Lord_Mountbatten

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 08 Dec 2011, 23:38

Godavari wrote:Actually, if I remember correctly, it was originally 2500 radius before being expanded to 3500, and subsequently shrunk to a 4000x4000 square for the big flush. As a long-time border resident, I think I would know. :)
You are partially correct, we did expand to 3500 from 2500, the reason we did was for Lapus, before we brought Fyra online, and its now currently 5000 to 5000

Sti_Jo_Lew

Post by Sti_Jo_Lew » 08 Dec 2011, 23:50

I was there the first day it opened for non-vets (I believe they had a weeks early access or something). I immediatly traveled north and plonked myself down 20 or so blocks after the cuboid for spawn ended. I lived in that house, the closest one to spawn, for a while, but gave it away.
SMWasder: BEGONE FOUL BEATS, FOR I AM THE DJ OF THE APOCALYPSE

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 09 Dec 2011, 02:58

I remember spending the day terra came out in my computer chair with 3 bags of doritos and a two litre bottle of Dr pepper. I had only joined the server roughly a month before the wipe so the world 3 was a shock. I loved it though.
On the day it came out i rushed out into the world and got a house set up on a big rock.
And then delph came to live with me, and then baldry. And we had had more people flooding in we had to make people live below the rock, And that. Was how Draconax was born. I think its one of the most, if not the most ancient of the World 3 settlements. (I think RSTP was set up before us :I)
But still. i have some good memories in world 3 :D And my creeper statue is still standing outside my old house. Wow. That must be one of the oldest structures :D
Happy birthday Terra.
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Dec 2011, 03:18

If it has a Pretty Goof sign it's one of the oldest settlements of the map. I think I placed that sign in Corinth, RSTP, Saphiri (then known as Volstag), Draconax and Solake.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 09 Dec 2011, 03:22

you never prettygoofed V88 though...
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 09 Dec 2011, 03:31

No, I did not.

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 09 Dec 2011, 14:01

V88 wasnt so much a settlement as a land of molepeople
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

arogon343

Post by arogon343 » 09 Dec 2011, 17:33

Hey look, Nostalgia!
CEO of D.I.A.S Corp.
if at first you dont succeed, 5 blackadders of tnt usualy helps....

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 09 Dec 2011, 19:15

I remember that! :D
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.