My Clock

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
superglitch

My Clock

Post by superglitch » 12 Dec 2010, 21:08

I decided a while ago that i would make a clock tower in my SP game. Now after doing some research and experiments I have figured out that there are 24000 ticks per day. That is a complete day/night circle. So if i have a 12000 tick long clock and put redstone wires leading off to the lights, I can make a simple clock which the edge lights up at night and turns off at day. I also Found that Day is 10 minutes long and Night is 7, with Sunset and Sunrise both being 1 1/2 minutes long. The amount of redstone dust that would take is at least 24000, which is 6000 Redstone Ores. And that is not counting the wires that power the lights. It would take at least 12000 sticks, 6000 planks, or 1500 Logs. Not including the tower. And that is why i need people's help. I am confounded for the design of the tower. I have no clue on what materials i should use, or how big it should be.

Cho
Retired

Re: My Clock

Post by Cho » 12 Dec 2010, 21:32

Clocks are banned in our worlds due to the lag they cause servers.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 12 Dec 2010, 21:39

Cho wrote:Clocks are banned in our worlds due to the lag they cause servers.
I said it will be built in my Single Player world. I know that clocks are banned due to lag (this one would cause a ton if it was on the server).

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 12 Dec 2010, 21:43

Ah sorry. Misread your post. Thought you'd built a prototype in SP and wanted help to build in on our server.
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 12 Dec 2010, 21:54

Cho wrote:Ah sorry. Misread your post. Thought you'd built a prototype in SP and wanted help to build in on our server.
I wish I had a prototype.

itbarany

Post by itbarany » 13 Dec 2010, 06:35

I might get burned for this, but why not use MineEdit or InvEdit?

I think for one map on single player where all you want is to actually see what you can do, being able to let your imagination go without the hussle of finding these huge amounts of stuff is perfectly reasonable.

You shouldn't use it while playing with others. That's why it's banned from the servers and so on... But how you wish to play your own game is pretty much what Minecraft is all about...
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 13 Dec 2010, 07:44

itbarany wrote:I might get burned for this, but why not use MineEdit or InvEdit?

I think for one map on single player where all you want is to actually see what you can do, being able to let your imagination go without the hussle of finding these huge amounts of stuff is perfectly reasonable.

You shouldn't use it while playing with others. That's why it's banned from the servers and so on... But how you wish to play your own game is pretty much what Minecraft is all about...
^ This

It would allow you to get the stuff you need (for single player only of course)
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

junkmanuk

Post by junkmanuk » 13 Dec 2010, 07:53

superglitch wrote:... I am confounded for the design of the tower. I have no clue on what materials i should use, or how big it should be.
I think the tower should be 100 metres tall with a gothic architecture...

I'm not falling for your devious trap of supplying redundant information about the clock mechanism :P

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 13 Dec 2010, 16:23

junkmanuk wrote:
superglitch wrote:... I am confounded for the design of the tower. I have no clue on what materials i should use, or how big it should be.
I think the tower should be 100 metres tall with a gothic architecture...

I'm not falling for your devious trap of supplying redundant information about the clock mechanism :P
I already got the mechinism.

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 13 Dec 2010, 16:24

Milo Windby wrote:
itbarany wrote:I might get burned for this, but why not use MineEdit or InvEdit?

^ This

It would allow you to get the stuff you need (for single player only of course)
Probably only for a prototype, but I want to make a nonhacked tower.

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 24 Dec 2010, 16:48

Bump!

superglitch

Post by superglitch » 19 Feb 2011, 15:56

Has anyone seen the new redstone delay block that is planed? This will probably cut the redstone cost of a clock tower by one fulk ton(metric of course).