Terra rails project

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
aflycon
Retired

Terra rails project

Post by aflycon » 14 Oct 2011, 15:36

Afly Takeover, Initiate!

Welcome to the newly revitalized Terra Rails Project. Information below:

Plans for Terra Rails:
  • Organized Central Loop - Rail circling and branching from spawn, following an organized format
  • Standardization of Transit - All rails running on the same technology/general format
  • Differentiation - Though all rails follow one format, different block types will represent server-sponsored/owned/maintained rails and player-owned/independent rails
  • Connections with Other Routes - Central Rail System connects with other rail lines (E.R.T.A., South Loop, etc.)
Plans for Construction:
  • Sectors - Each Rail line is divided in to several sectors for independent management and deadlines (e.g. Sector 1 for each rail [North, East, South, West] must be done by x date)
  • Base of Operations - Central management and other associated things happen here
  • Payment Variables - Quality of job, time spent, and materials/tools used each factor into payment for work on CRS
Old Thread:
Spoiler! :
Edit: Due to various circumstances, I will not be leading up this project. I'm sorry I didn't get this completed as I intended. At the current time, I don't know who will take on the project.

As a subproject of the Terra Revitalization Project, we (the staff) have a Terra Rails project.

Basically, we built a grand central station in the Terra spawn, very close to the portal point. And now we're going to hook it up with the existing rail system in Terra.

Since the existing rail system is a patchwork of rails in both maintained and usually unmaintained states, we will also be modifying some of them

In general, many of the rails were built by members of the staff (before they were member of staff) and these are going to become mod-controlled rails. In a few cases, we may take over rail systems no longer actively managed. For many of the rails, we will be replacing the builds with a new look to make it consistent with the Grand Central Station.

As we make major changes, I will update this OP.

This is the thread to make comments, suggestions, and the ever important "Oh, no, don't touch my stuff" and "wtf" messages.

Mod-Controlled Rails
(Note: as we take over rail systems, they will be added here)
Grand Central Station and rails in spawn

Rail Systems Completed
(Note: as we complete the changes for rail systems, it will be noted here)

Hands-Off Rail Systems
(Note: these are rail systems we will not change or control, but may connect to.)
Branchscape Rail System, owned by TheSpy

michaeld20

Re: Terra rails project

Post by michaeld20 » 14 Oct 2011, 16:23

Mill city has a few rail connections, I approve of connections :) Just try and catch me online and i will help you all out
"Some people in this world, they think their invincible... well thats just not true... beacause if you make just ONE mistake it could all end in a matter of seconds and then really how invincible are you?"- Myself

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 14 Oct 2011, 18:46

Isn't Ryn's whole system under Mod Control? I thought he'd handed it over.

Also, being started by Derigin and I, the whole "south loop" idea is under mod control. Last I checked, it's mostly complete minus lacking an above-ground station at Talvelat.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 14 Oct 2011, 20:13

whats the status on the tunnels i cut through V88, Fort Itl, Corinth, Solake, Saphiri and Draconax?
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 14 Oct 2011, 21:05

Vallorn, I happen to know that there's a tunnel going continuously from Fort ITL through V88 and all the way down to Borderpost. I don't know where the ITL tunnel leads to in the other direction, though....

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 14 Oct 2011, 21:09

Godavari wrote:Vallorn, I happen to know that there's a tunnel going continuously from Fort ITL through V88 and all the way down to Borderpost. I don't know where the ITL tunnel leads to in the other direction, though....
i stated the route line on that in the post above Goda. it does a semi loop round spawn. ;)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 14 Oct 2011, 21:41

Godavari wrote:Vallorn, I happen to know that there's a tunnel going continuously from Fort ITL through V88 and all the way down to Borderpost. I don't know where the ITL tunnel leads to in the other direction, though....
Yep, that's the one Afly and I dug long, long ago.

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 14 Oct 2011, 22:22

A wild Nostalgia appeared.

*tear*

random980

Post by random980 » 14 Oct 2011, 22:29

Feel Free to update my elevated rail system going from Saphiri to Solar City to Blackthorn.
However i would still like to remain in control of that part of the Terra rail system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Eekum Bokum
Sti_Jo_Lew wrote:Random just won the thread. We should all just give up.

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 15 Oct 2011, 02:39

Vallorn I approved the old E.R.T.A lines to be rebuilt using the newer modules.

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 19 Oct 2011, 19:50

mind if i help tulonsae?

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 21 Oct 2011, 13:29

alexbluewave wrote:mind if i help tulonsae?
That would be great. Altho I've gotten distracted by some other admin stuff. Hopefully, I'll be back to this real soon now.
--Tulonsae

alexbluewave

Post by alexbluewave » 21 Oct 2011, 20:18

Ok, i will try to catch you online sometime.

jsdsparky

Post by jsdsparky » 23 Oct 2011, 08:03

I would like to help too Tulon, if that's ok.
Last edited by jsdsparky on 09 Nov 2011, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
Ask me if you want a house in JAMES_QUAL and I's colony.

Hahsime

Post by Hahsime » 23 Oct 2011, 14:07

I have an extensive tunnel network near my town in terra. We can use it to our advantage. It goes from the spawn cuboid to the underground city, I forget what it is called.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 14 Nov 2011, 02:37

Due to various circumstances, I will not be leading up this project. I'm sorry I didn't get this completed as I intended.

I've updated the OP with this information, but left the rest of it for whoever might take on the project.
--Tulonsae

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 14 Nov 2011, 19:57

http://www.escapecraft.net/phpBB3/viewt ... f=5&t=5306

I would absolutely love the opportunity to take control of this.

and no I never gave up control of my rails.

also, what is happening with Tehbeard's rail sorting system? are we planning on implementing this? I feel it is a bit too complicated for some users and might just lead to a lot of time wasted with mentors having to help people use the system. personally I love it, but it is a bit complicated.

in response to Hahsime's comment. I think you are referring to Zork. I don't remember who originally ran it but I worked with him to link that line with one of my lines at what I now refer to as West Station (see map in my link). The origin point of that line (what I called South Station) needs MAJOR work, in fact that whole line needs a lot of work.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 14 Nov 2011, 20:10

one of the most annoying bits is the damage to the line intersecting between V99 and Fort Itl

also be aware that major work is about to take place on those two islands. il deal with the rails there on my own. :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 14 Nov 2011, 20:15

vallorn wrote:one of the most annoying bits is the damage to the line intersecting between V99 and Fort Itl

also be aware that major work is about to take place on those two islands. il deal with the rails there on my own. :)
awesome. yeah i was gonna talk with you in-game about connecting the v88 stop with the line down below so that we can eliminate those two wierd pseudo-stops where you need to get out and walk down stairs.

DuplicateValue
Retired

Post by DuplicateValue » 14 Nov 2011, 20:20

Okay Ryn, the project is yours.

I'll be serving as your "interface" as Tulon put it, meaning if you need anything sorted (agreements reached with cuboid/rail owners for example), just send me a PM here and I'll do my best to sort it out.

Sound good?

"He's like fire, and ice, and rage.
He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever.
He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
And... he's wonderful."

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 14 Nov 2011, 20:26

yeah either V88 or Fort Itl will become a proper rail hub in my plans for this.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

ryn44

Post by ryn44 » 14 Nov 2011, 20:27

DuplicateValue wrote:Okay Ryn, the project is yours.

I'll be serving as your "interface" as Tulon put it, meaning if you need anything sorted (agreements reached with cuboid/rail owners for example), just send me a PM here and I'll do my best to sort it out.

Sound good?
sounds great. can I get access to grand central?

aflycon
Retired

Post by aflycon » 05 Dec 2011, 19:07

I'm now going to be managing this project (must be terrible if it's already gone through Tulon and Dupe :P).

I'll be implementing a system for tools, pay, and organization among the various digs that need to be completed. Although I can provide tools for this project, not bringing your own will reduce the pay received for each job finished. Neatness, speed, and severity of work will also affect the pay received (e.g., clean up when you're done and I'll pay you more). TNT may also be provided, on a limited basis.

Failure to complete a job in a timely matter will result in loss of pay entirely.

Contact me via PM or reply to this thread if you'd like to help finish this project. I will send you a list of tasks to complete and a pay plan. There'll be diamonds, lots of diamonds. (:

- Afly

Wildwill002

Post by Wildwill002 » 05 Dec 2011, 19:19

I think i feel like helping with this, it'll give me a break from dave's server and lemme see some old friends. I'm not saying i'll be exceedingly fast like some people but i'll be neat. :3
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all

,             ,
           / '.         .' \
          /    '.     .'    \
           '-._  '. .'  _.-'
               '-. ; .-'
              _.-;(_);-._
          _.-'   .'_'.   '-._
          \    .'/[+]\'.    /
           \_.' /     \ '._/
                |  _  |
                | [_] |
               /III III\
               `"""""""`

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 05 Dec 2011, 19:28

Afly just point me at what needs to be mined to oblivion and stand back... :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 08 Dec 2011, 01:35

Just so its down for the record, I will assisting and helping aflycon plan this massive undertaking of the terra rail system. Mostly because I love terra and still have plans for it for myself personally, and because I need something else to do when Imperial City is feeling "ugh" to me :roll:

Maykxor
Site Contributor

Post by Maykxor » 10 Dec 2011, 01:09

I wouldn't mind throwing in my aid for this project. While I have few ties to Terra, I feel I'd allow myself to enjoy more of it if we could get that rail system up and running so that *I* don't have to do the running. (I'm such a lazy crafter :P ) But in any case, yes. we need to do this. Don't know how much help I'll be till next semester of classes gets started though. Busy during the break. Other than that, count me in.
Some people think in pictures, others think in words. I think in pictures with subtitles.
Quotes from cool people I've met over the years:
sobamushi "Maykxor your avatar makes me wanna dance ._.! "
MissKatieKillU: "WHAT THE F***ING F*** IS GOING ON IN MY F***ING ROLEPLAY?"
"I think you may have problems, my friend."
Sole ScuroThis: "This is the part where you scream sexual slurs in my face and I belt you."