Rule Bending

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
Fealuinix
Retired

Rule Bending

Post by Fealuinix » 20 Aug 2011, 00:34

So I've just refreshed my memory on all the server rules, and found that I've been inadvertently bending a few. I'm prepared to recompense any victims, even disproportionately, and otherwise take my licks; but I post this here in the hope that it's understood these were honest mistakes.

I've been working on my mob tower (Snowflake Tower) coordinates x: 88 z: -1853 on Terra. Most all of this is the result of attempting to light up the caverns and surface around my tower.

Firstly I moved a few seemingly randomly placed torches to lock into my grid pattern. That's probably the worst of it. They weren't on claimed land and most weren't really near a structure of any sort. I have no idea why they were there, but none-the-less, I really shouldn't have moved them.

Secondly, I've placed torches within 20 blocks of other people's structures. I'm not sure if that qualifies as 'building', but in the future I'll try to be more communicative with the land owners. At least this is very easy to fix.

Lastly I've been using F3 to find caverns underground. This isn't explicitly against the rules, but I've been told by...someone I've forgotten at this point...that doing so is "iffy".

Of course, each one of these things are activities I would like to continue if I had the admin's blessing; Particularly using F3 for the purpose of lighting up hidden caverns. I have ceased to do any of them until then. I would also like to contact any landowners in the region to cooperate into making a nifty mob tower that any of them would be free to use. The Problem is I'm not sure how to contact any of them, aside from posting a sign near their front door.

nart_21086
Retired

Re: Rule Bending

Post by nart_21086 » 20 Aug 2011, 00:40

Easy concept: If you have to ask yourself if it is right, it is not.

Using F3 isn't officially banned. Just know that it is frowned upon, when used as an exploit. Most feel It takes the fun out of the game. I wouldn't hold my breath for a "blessing".
I Serve Escapia

Fealuinix
Retired

Post by Fealuinix » 20 Aug 2011, 01:25

nart_21086 wrote:Easy concept: If you have to ask yourself if it is right, it is not.
I'm not so sure about that; context can be quite important. Consider player killing in PvP or spawning blocks in Creative. Neither of these would be allowed outside that respective world. But in that context, they are explicitly allowed. Either could be questioned by a person not knowledgeable on what *is* allowed. Or just consider a new player asking themselves if it's right to claim otherwise-unclaimed land; would that make it wrong?

Different servers have different rules and norms. For this server I would like to ensure that I'm not only following the letter of the law, but the spirit of it. But sometimes that involves finding out what is allowed. For that I would rather cast my inquiries to the admins than use mere introspection.

As for F3, I will avoid using it for that purpose in the future, since it is against the spirit of the server rules, even if its restriction hasn't been codified.

MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Post by MKindy » 20 Aug 2011, 01:35

F3 dungeon-tracking is a lot like using X-Ray mods, bear in mind, which are clearly in violation of the rules.

Fealuinix
Retired

Post by Fealuinix » 20 Aug 2011, 02:02

Now that I think about it, I believe it was MKindy that told me using F3 for that purpose was "iffy".

Finding caverns and finding ore aren't exactly the same thing, but the former does assist the later. I just didn't at first consider using a tool that's part of the basic game*, something that x-ray mods clearly are not, would be in violation of the server rules.

*Yes, I realize F3 is a diagnostic tool that's probably going to be removed at the full release of Minecraft. But it is still an included tool in the current game.

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 20 Aug 2011, 02:49

It may have been me who told you that. :) I got the smackdown laid on me when F3 was introduced for doing the same thing. :)

MrWhales

Post by MrWhales » 20 Aug 2011, 08:24

Who are you?

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 20 Aug 2011, 08:39

i always light up the surrounding area of my land. if people dont like that they can take the free torches. :)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 20 Aug 2011, 10:40

Seemingly scattered torches are an interesting one. I suppose if they're just found randomly in the wilderness, obviously no pattern to them, or no landclaim, there isn't much of an issue in recycling them for more helpful use.

Fealuinix
Retired

Post by Fealuinix » 20 Aug 2011, 11:37

Thank you, Lord. It's possible that a small cluster of torches may mark a secret entrance, but these are strings of torches, as if some player ran around willy-nilly throwing them everywhere. In any case, I'm still lighting up the land they were found on, I just put them in my torch pattern that I guess I was a little OCD about. :D

MKindy

Post by MKindy » 20 Aug 2011, 11:44

Back in the day, in my wanderings, particularly to the untamed North of Terra, I had been known to pepper the areas with torches at night. I did not expect them to remain indefinitely. :)

I kinda like finding things like that, too. Makes me wonder what the other person was doing there. Same thing when I find small, unmarked huts in the middle of nowhere.

Fealuinix
Retired

Post by Fealuinix » 20 Aug 2011, 11:49

Yeah, I know what you mean, MKindy. There's a lot of odd huts and half-completed structures around...it gives the feel of ghost towns or abandoned ruins.

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Post by Tulonsae » 20 Aug 2011, 15:26

Well, from another perspective, I use absolutely no mods in my client.

And I use F3 to find mobs so I can light up the caverns.

I also pepper the areas around my lands with torches to prevent mob spawning. Most people appreciate you placing torches near their places.

I just checked and we have no rules against using F3.
--Tulonsae

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 20 Aug 2011, 17:24

Tulon how did you get into my brain? i do exactly the same stuff :o

and yeah theres no rule about it but mining using it has similar patterns to Xray mining which could lead to mistakenly banning somone.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick