Travel Guide of Escapia, calling all Settlement Owners!

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
SMWasder
Retired

Travel Guide of Escapia, calling all Settlement Owners!

Post by SMWasder » 19 Aug 2011, 16:26

I'm going to start writing a travel guide type thing, I'll write a couple of paragraphs for settlements and sites of interest and add a few screenshots. I'm asking settlement owners for permission first, and I'm not going to make this in any way competitive and I will certainly not say that something is rubbish, I will be more polite than that :D . Aside from that I'm quite interested in just taking a look around all the worlds in some detail and releasing my inner lexophile.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to compete with what Chirps' is doing, this is being done purely as a travel guide, Michael Palin style or something, rather than from a players' perspective. I'm writing about these places the same as I would if it was a real place, and I'm also slightly averse to the competitive edge (partially why I like Minecraft and this server as it's not a competitive game).

Also, if you'd want to contribute feel free, I'll look them over and I'll compile them all and check for typos and things. All entries will be posted below:

Market Plaza, west Fyra (19th August 2011)

Making full use of Minecraft’s unrealistic physics is the Market Plaza, floating, unsupported over a body of water in western Fyra. Its close proximity to the first rail stop on the line gives easy access, and from its precarious position there are many great views to be had.Image
Stalls and shops line the stone-slab paths, offering a wide variety of wares, from plots in towns across Escapia to dyes for wool. This makes for a similarly eclectic mix of building styles, most of which are refreshingly lacking in cobblestone! Dozens of materials are at use, from obsidian, to wool, to clay, making each shop unique. Wood is by far the most common building material, but it seems to suit the Plaza as a floating construction. My particular favourite shop is MKindy’s Real Estate; a classy brickwork building sporting low hedges on the outside. Quite out of the way is a small but nicely arranged park, a great place to soak in the view. Although some stalls seem ever so slightly useless (for instance, there is a library), they all create a very good atmosphere, that’s worth the visit even if you don’t really need to buy anything!

EDIT: I've been asked to mention that there's lots of upcoming work, including a giant glass sphere made of 6400 glass blocks, which will surely be a pretty awe-inspiring sight.

Royal Sheep Trading Post, Northern Terra (19th August 2011)
RSTP is instantly impressive; a giant (and incredibly well made) ghast sculpture looms over the entrance. The entire town is full of colour, be it from pixel art (also incredibly well made), eccentric houses (also incredibly well made) or even public buildings like bridges (also incredibly well made). The town is a vibrant shock compared to the snowy landscape that surrounds it. As you might have noticed, I was very impressed by the overall quality of everything, there’s very little use of common construction blocks like wood or cobble, and instead the residents favour coloured wools, obsidian or brick. Throughout the town there are many amusing constructions, like a giant sheep sculpture and a lava-filled church to Cthulhu; combined with the colour of the town, these make the large brick mental asylum (complete with cobwebs) seem perfectly placed for the evidently-barmy residents.
Certainly anyone in Escapia should visit RSTP; the town is filled with genius and madness. It is part town, part loony bin. I doubt there are many places in Escapia that will put as big a smile on your face as this.

Beorn, South Fyra (20th August 2011)
Situated over the first stop on the rail, it’s no wonder that this place is Fyra’s largest settlement. As you come into the stop you’ll be swallowed up underneath the vast Town hall (which also contains everything you could ever need). The hall, like most of the town, is mainly wooden, which seems to suit the town’s sedate atmosphere. Although there is the odd house that seems a little uninspired, the majority of properties are handsomely designed wooden affairs, each surprisingly unique considering how much wood is used. Some houses around town (such as Aenir’s lapis, gold and diamond encrusted mansion) break the mould in stark contrast to the surrounding houses. There are a great many sights to see around town, such as the sleek SS Arcadia, the giant Corinth Empire monolith or an Eye-of-Sauron style lighthouse. You can even see my humble home! The town is mostly surrounded by water, which helps keep unfriendly mobs at bay and also makes the town feel more relaxed despite its size. Due to the water surrounding it, Beorn has several excellent bridges, the nicest of which is an imperious wooden, slab and glowstone construction leading to Tulonville. Many small parks and benches are dotted around the town that provide pretty views out over the water, giving you some nice little spots to soak in the town’s beauty.

Magmavale, South Fyra (2nd September 2011)
As you hop off the end of the cart-line you are immediately met with an impressive view; a massive volcano sits over the entrance to Magmavale. The town itself is far below, through the heart of the volcano and down a long flight of stairs. The spacious cavern is lit by a striking floor of lava, and dotted with quality houses made of the finest materials, even if some are a little ostentatious. Overall, Magmavale has the feel of a Dwarvern hall. The town has public farms of all kinds, furnaces, obsidian and glowstone generators, and a cart-line to the Mentor Resort, making it a very easy place to live. Next to Vallorn’s liquorice-allsort style house is the entrance to ITL’s bizarrely out-of-place village, complete with quaint little farm houses. In the extensive mines there are some truly massive lava lakes, well worth exploring (provided you don’t get lost!). However, Magmavale does seem a little large compared to the number of residents. There’s an entire floor that is, as of yet, empty. I’m sure there’s no reason for Magmavale not to be as inhabited as towns such as Beorn; in many ways it's one of the nicest towns in all Escapia.

Solar City, Northwest Terra (11/9/11)

Solar City is a very unique town. I don’t think there can be many towns in Escapia that both float above the clouds and have extensive mines. The town itself sits, literally, atop a cloud. Below the land is a massive cloud made of white wool, unlike most floating towns that tend to leave their dirt undersides exposed. As with most of the prettiest towns, cobble is kept to a minimum, instead wood and sandstone are used much more, such as with the Sunburn Lounge, which gives fantastic sunset views (pictured).
The town’s cloudless skies are made use of by many of the buildings that have glass rooves, or no rooves at all. The town’s spleef arena , ‘The Fog Pit’ sits a block above the cloud layer, making it a bit harder to spot where not to tread. Next to the Fog Pit is the VIP balcony, made completely of glass, which gives brilliant views of the area. What makes Solar City truly special is that unlike other floating settlements, it feels just like an ordinary town, but lifted above the clouds. Most floating towns can feel like the town was built around the platform, or too cramped, but Solar City feels just as natural and spacious as any other town.
Last edited by SMWasder on 11 Sep 2011, 09:51, edited 16 times in total.
WWTDD

vallorn

Re: Travel Guide of Escapia, calling all Settlement Owners!

Post by vallorn » 19 Aug 2011, 16:36

Review: MagmaVale, Vertica, Mentor Resort, Darkhaven and Vault 88.

there ya go.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 19 Aug 2011, 16:37

Feel free to visit Borderpost in southern Terra.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 19 Aug 2011, 17:08

Haha, you might change your minds once you see my atrocious writing! :P
WWTDD

Iron_Fang
Retired

Post by Iron_Fang » 19 Aug 2011, 17:18

this is excellent SMW, mind if i quote abit for market plaza's forum topic thing when i get round to doing it

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 19 Aug 2011, 17:23

Thanks! I don't mind at all, I'd be flattered.
WWTDD

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 19 Aug 2011, 17:27

Feel free to visit the Royal Sheep Trading Post. Located at about -379, +593 in Terra(ver3)
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 19 Aug 2011, 17:35

vallorn wrote:Review: MagmaVale, Vertica, Mentor Resort, Darkhaven and Vault 88.

there ya go.
This kinda why I asked if anyone wanted to contribute; I'm not going to review Vertica because that would be silly.
WWTDD

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 19 Aug 2011, 17:54

hee hee ;)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 19 Aug 2011, 21:34

If somehow you managed to get to CUT HQ you can review that.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 19 Aug 2011, 22:36

Beorn, of course!

An outdated map:
http://i.imgur.com/Grq0q.png

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 19 Aug 2011, 23:24

Hey Check out the town that you live in ok? :P you know, Looneyville, South Fyra, although kind of empty, still not bad to go over it :P

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 20 Aug 2011, 05:20

idc, Looneyville is in north Fyra :D Though you might like to know.

although if I already live there it obviously has my

Same with Beorn, I think my house is near the 14 on that map.
Last edited by SMWasder on 20 Aug 2011, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
WWTDD

Milo_Windby
Retired

Post by Milo_Windby » 20 Aug 2011, 05:34

Very nice =D

The Ghast was made by Tomenaki and the Giant Sheep was made by DuhRiddler.
There is also a Slime done by Tomenaki in the lake area which looks really nice. (Slimes are cute)
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition wrote:#40. If you see profit on a journey, take it
<3Milo's Catnip Fund<3

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 20 Aug 2011, 09:26

Neato, my house got specific mention. :)

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 20 Aug 2011, 09:26

Your house is covered in shiny things, how could I not mention it?
WWTDD

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 20 Aug 2011, 09:33

review MagmaVale at least :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

XDelphi

Post by XDelphi » 20 Aug 2011, 13:24

Hmm, sure. I approve.
Draconax - North West Terra from spawn.
Meet the Staff | Worlds Apart | The Imperial City | Server & Forum Rules | The Store
"What are the odds of two elusive pastries?" - MKindy on his theory of conspiracy

Fuzz422365117

Post by Fuzz422365117 » 20 Aug 2011, 14:42

Feel free to look at Aerotip II. It's not done yet, though. The coordinates are in the thread.

xidontcarex

Post by xidontcarex » 23 Aug 2011, 09:08

SMWasder wrote:idc, Looneyville is in north Fyra :D Though you might like to know.

although if I already live there it obviously has my

Same with Beorn, I think my house is near the 14 on that map.
yes i did meant north fyra, i derped XP was thinking of beorn haha

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 23 Aug 2011, 20:40

Im fine with you visiting Saphiri. Which is near Draconax.

Also you can visit the other USSR towns, Blackthorn and Solar. I don't have that much authority over these towns but check them out too. I think the coordinates are in the USSR thread in the groups forum.
USSR. United. Soviet. Saphirian. Republiks. That's how you spell it.

donkypoink

Post by donkypoink » 24 Aug 2011, 09:48

How about my city? Darkend? Ive got pictures and information located in the following link:
Coordinates:
X -700
Z 1500

World:
Terra (ver3)

http://www.escapecraft.net/phpBB3/viewt ... f=5&t=2687

P.S. Please pm me if you want to wright a review i am hopeless wenn it comes to following topics, i always forget what im following

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 24 Aug 2011, 10:06

Are those coordinates updated or are they still pre-flush?
Because in the thread you linked it was last updated August 5th.

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 24 Aug 2011, 13:58

I will get around to doing more entries, but at the moment I'm busy setting up a town of my very own, so it might take a few more days before I get back to doing this.
WWTDD

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 02 Sep 2011, 14:19

I've done the entry for Magmavale, 'pologies for the double post.
WWTDD

Aenir_bEPU
Nyan Master

Post by Aenir_bEPU » 02 Sep 2011, 17:41

I imagine people are afraid to live in Magmavale because it's made by Vallorn and filled with lava.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 02 Sep 2011, 19:24

the floor you described as being totaly unused is i assume the one under the main floor? its my current project to clear it and i call it The Underdeep. its main purpose will be as prebuilt accommodation and a safety bunker for when 1.8 hits the server.
i will also contain my new MagmaTowns transport hub which i hope to extend to other south Fyra settlements for easier transport of goods and labour.
Aenir_bEPU wrote:I imagine people are afraid to live in Magmavale because it's made by Vallorn and filled with lava.
and because its way too awesome for people to live there.
and the entire town was cuboided a couple of weeks ago. :lol:
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

SMWasder
Retired

Post by SMWasder » 03 Sep 2011, 06:07

That reminds me, the Magmavale cuboid needs fixing, I can't open chests in my house.
WWTDD

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 03 Sep 2011, 08:02

SMWasder wrote:That reminds me, the Magmavale cuboid needs fixing, I can't open chests in my house.
contact Tehbeard about Cuboid issues mate. :)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!