you wont be seeing me as much.

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
vallorn

you wont be seeing me as much.

Post by vallorn » 24 Apr 2011, 14:56

due to issues with my main minecrafting computer (my laptop if you must know) i cannot play minecraft at more than 1FPS, Derpy sound and an inability to place blocks.

im therefore taking a short break till ive fixed the ruddy thing. (please post suggestions...)

il still be on the Forums and maybe Vent though i apparently have a weird echo on there.

il come online if our house PC is free but apart from that, nothing.

hope you guys have Fun without me!

if V88 is damaged in any way i will hunt down the person responsible and destroy everything they love...

P.S. till i get back please direct query's about MagmaVale to my sister TheAquapunk who is in charge of constructing the basic layout.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Re: you wont be seeing me as much.

Post by Jake55778 » 24 Apr 2011, 15:25

The solution is clear! We must all join togther and build a massive redstone CPU on the server, and somehow use it to boost the processing power of your laptop.
The staff here are all trolls

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 24 Apr 2011, 17:32

Jake55778 wrote:The solution is clear! We must all join togther and build a massive redstone CPU on the server, and somehow use it to boost the processing power of your laptop.
thats not realy the issue. i think its software related as it was running fine 3 days ago (youve probably noticed i havent been online so much)

oh and this affects Killing Floor as well. cant play that either :(

seriously thinking that i should use this as an excuse to get a new laptop...
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Tehbeard

Post by Tehbeard » 24 Apr 2011, 18:54

Try installing ubuntu via wubi onto your laptop, it seems to work for me.

wubi = windows ubuntu installer, makes it play nice w/ windows and one click removal when u don't want linux anymore.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 24 Apr 2011, 18:59

UPDATE: started cleaning up some of the programs that were running in background. pushed my framerate up to 2 FPS and underped the sounds but nothing else... :x

i think this is a hardware problem as AVG scans arnt showing any virus's...
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 24 Apr 2011, 19:18

i dont belive it... i ran bloody windows Defrag and it said it had finished (looked all ble and green too) now this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 24 Apr 2011, 19:21

It's a bit of work, and will probably void your warrantly, but if you take it apart and check the cooling fan you can often solve overheating problems (probably the biggest cause of hardware failure). Dust often gets sucked up by the intake fan and collects in the heatsinks, too much of it and they don't function properly which can lead to damage to your system's CPU and/or GPU. A quick clean out, and possibly reapplying the thermal compound on the CPU, can work wonders.
But like I said, it takes a bit of work to get into most laptops so I wouldn't bother unless the alternative is expensive repairs/replacement.

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 24 Apr 2011, 19:24

My oh my vallorn. If that's your registry scan log, I can't even imagine what the report on malware would look like.
Jake55778 wrote: It's a bit of work, and will probably void your warrantly, but if you take it apart and check the cooling fan you can often solve overheating problems (probably the biggest cause of hardware failure). Dust often gets sucked up by the intake fan and collects in the heatsinks, too much of it and they don't function properly which can lead to damage to your system's CPU and/or GPU. A quick clean out, and possibly reapplying the thermal compound on the CPU, can work wonders.
But like I said, it takes a bit of work to get into most laptops so I wouldn't bother unless the alternative is expensive repairs/replacement.
^ This, or, you could remove the Lava block from your desk... just a suggestion.
You cannot say it doesn't exist if you haven't seen it. ~Zinrius

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 24 Apr 2011, 19:33

Jake55778 wrote:It's a bit of work, and will probably void your warrantly, but if you take it apart and check the cooling fan you can often solve overheating problems (probably the biggest cause of hardware failure). Dust often gets sucked up by the intake fan and collects in the heatsinks, too much of it and they don't function properly which can lead to damage to your system's CPU and/or GPU. A quick clean out, and possibly reapplying the thermal compound on the CPU, can work wonders.
trust me. with the age of this thing a replacement laptop would be welcome. this is the nuclear option though so i want to try and clean out the software first.

oh and i gave it a full clean with an air duster and a prepared vacum cleaner (brush and cloth over the hole and power set on low to prevent damage) so dust shouldnt be much of an issue. however il take that on board. if this doesnt fix it il have to take the bloody thing apart :x .

and thats the wierd thing Zin... i have NO malware whatsoever... :?
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 24 Apr 2011, 19:45

vallorn wrote:
Jake55778 wrote:It's a bit of work, and will probably void your warrantly, but if you take it apart and check the cooling fan you can often solve overheating problems (probably the biggest cause of hardware failure). Dust often gets sucked up by the intake fan and collects in the heatsinks, too much of it and they don't function properly which can lead to damage to your system's CPU and/or GPU. A quick clean out, and possibly reapplying the thermal compound on the CPU, can work wonders.
trust me. with the age of this thing a replacement laptop would be welcome. this is the nuclear option though so i want to try and clean out the software first.

oh and i gave it a full clean with an air duster and a prepared vacum cleaner (brush and cloth over the hole and power set on low to prevent damage) so dust shouldnt be much of an issue. however il take that on board. if this doesnt fix it il have to take the bloody thing apart :x .

and thats the wierd thing Zin... i have NO malware whatsoever... :?
If you don't feel comfortable opening the thing up, then don't. But usually there's alot of particles that gets in the cooling systems that could hinder it's performance by quite a considerate ammount.

I would definitely suggest laptop change though, the new ones on the market ( even from your local Walmart, for example ) perform quite adequately.

Be aware though... I'm neither a technitian or a salesman. I would consult your wallet instead.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 25 Apr 2011, 03:41

got the free AVG tuneup and started fixing those errors last night. left it running all night and its done a good job!

as a side note. does anyone know another good free piece of antivirus software? i dont trust AVG saying i have nothing...
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 25 Apr 2011, 03:45

I will get butt hurt over this.

But Norton has been fine for me. Never had any problems with it.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Joskeuh

Post by Joskeuh » 25 Apr 2011, 03:47

AVG is a good one, but if it doesn't work for you anymore.
(wich is possible,some virusses can destroy your antivirus)
I would Suggest you Ad-Aware.
Depending on how you use your Computer the gamers version is recommended.
Link : http://www.lavasoft.com/

EDIT: Do not go for Norton, You have to pay for it and will most likely be worse then your AVG
(I have had bad experiences with Norton)
Neveneffecten hebben u bij uw kersen... Basta.
- Basta 14/02/11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsIAfvcC52E

MKindy
Everybody Have a Logical Time

Post by MKindy » 25 Apr 2011, 04:25

vallorn wrote:got the free AVG tuneup and started fixing those errors last night. left it running all night and its done a good job!

as a side note. does anyone know another good free piece of antivirus software? i dont trust AVG saying i have nothing...
Ad-Aware free now has anti-virus capabilities, and a live protection feature. It's what I use.

What model laptop have you? Perhaps it's time for a complete wipe and a rebuild?

Skunk_Giant
Retired

Post by Skunk_Giant » 25 Apr 2011, 04:51

I cant help you, I suck with this stuff, but good luck!
Oh hey, I have a signature now! 26/07/11

haxxorzd00d wrote:Keep talking, Skunk. Everybody likes you and you're stunningly handsome.

Eddietester1066
Retired

Post by Eddietester1066 » 25 Apr 2011, 13:29

Assuming you're running Windows, I've had excellent results with Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials) in combination with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (http://www.malwarebytes.org). I have encountered some infections, notably boot sector viruses, that can only be cleaned by removing the disk and attaching it to a second known good pc that you scan from.

Yes, I am a professional, but feel free to try this at home...
Which leads to this:

Zinrius
Retired

Post by Zinrius » 25 Apr 2011, 14:49

Get Malwarebytes :) Free and effective, also has a file deleting feature which is nice for those stubborn horses.

TheAquapunk

Post by TheAquapunk » 26 Apr 2011, 02:29

vallorn wrote:due to issues with my main minecrafting computer (my laptop if you must know) i cannot play minecraft at more than 1FPS, Derpy sound and an inability to place blocks.

im therefore taking a short break till ive fixed the ruddy thing. (please post suggestions...)

il still be on the Forums and maybe Vent though i apparently have a weird echo on there.

il come online if our house PC is free but apart from that, nothing.

hope you guys have Fun without me!

if V88 is damaged in any way i will hunt down the person responsible and destroy everything they love...

P.S. till i get back please direct query's about MagmaVale to my sister TheAquapunk who is in charge of constructing the basic layout.
Aw yis, the sweet sensation of being in charge of a project :D Magmavale is doing swimmingly- I'm also building a mobtower at my /home site.

Dude, you can still use the main PC.
When I'm not on, of course :D
And yeah, I'm getting myself a laptop for exams/college next year- Maybe we could both get one each? If we co-ordinate we can get an awesome super-sweet gaming laptop and also a super-sweet awesome 'net browser/study aide.
The Horrorterrors made the world while God was sleeping.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 26 Apr 2011, 04:34

Ad Aware can see virus's! HALLELUJAH!

hey in F3 mode what does the red gunk on the left signify? because its tripled in size when the issues started.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 26 Apr 2011, 05:28

I think it's processor load. It's generally very low when I'm on my moderately powerful desktop PC, but shoots through the roof on my laptop which can barely run the game.

marurder

Post by marurder » 26 Apr 2011, 05:36

MSE does a good job finding them. But I wouldn't use only it. As for Norton, tried it multiple times and it has always ALWAYS given me issues. Slow performance, network communication dropouts, it doesn't catch everything... AVG has been okay for me.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Apr 2011, 02:28

i think its a hardware issue of some kind... all the possible software fix's ive tried havent worked... well that just leaves 2 options:
Nuclear: backup the very important stuff, Format, Reinstall
Exterminatus: get a new ****ing laptop.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 29 Apr 2011, 02:47

If it's a hardware problem then reinstalling won't help

Pinmissile
Retired

Post by Pinmissile » 29 Apr 2011, 02:51

I've got Norton 360, but only because my school provides it. I've heard good things about McAfee and Avast!

Unless you're 100% sure it's a hardware problem, you should try to reformat your computer.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Apr 2011, 03:46

Pinmissile wrote:I've got Norton 360, but only because my school provides it. I've heard good things about McAfee and Avast!

Unless you're 100% sure it's a hardware problem, you should try to reformat your computer.
thats the plan. if nukes dont work then im cutting my losses and getting a new one.

can anyone suggest a decent gaming laptop for under £500?
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Jake55778
Site Contributor

Post by Jake55778 » 29 Apr 2011, 05:24

"gaming" and "laptop" really don't belong in the same sentence. Laptops are all about portability, functionality, and ease of use. To get the power needed for gaming usually means sacrificing battery life, heat efficiency (good luck having one on your lap once it heats up), portability (gaming laptops are usually larger and weigh more than a typical laptop. Not to mention that once you've shelled out for one you probably won't be inclined to risk it getting damaged/stolen by carrying it around.) and price (a gaming laptop will usually cost 2-3 times as much as an equivalent powered desktop, and of course the laptop can't be upgraded).

Laptops are great for a lot of things, but gaming really isn't one of them.

(If all you're after is something to surf the web and play Minecraft on, and portability is important for you, please disregard the previous rant)

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Apr 2011, 07:13

Jake55778 wrote:"gaming" and "laptop" really don't belong in the same sentence. Laptops are all about portability, functionality, and ease of use. To get the power needed for gaming usually means sacrificing battery life, heat efficiency (good luck having one on your lap once it heats up), portability (gaming laptops are usually larger and weigh more than a typical laptop. Not to mention that once you've shelled out for one you probably won't be inclined to risk it getting damaged/stolen by carrying it around.) and price (a gaming laptop will usually cost 2-3 times as much as an equivalent powered desktop, and of course the laptop can't be upgraded).

Laptops are great for a lot of things, but gaming really isn't one of them.

(If all you're after is something to surf the web and play Minecraft on, and portability is important for you, please disregard the previous rant)
yeah those points are right. however i would still like options... and ui dont mind if its not top o the range so long as it can play games decently (med graphics Source games for example) im good with whatever.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 29 Apr 2011, 10:40

Really? My laptop does a pretty good job of playing games, far better than the last desktop I had.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 29 Apr 2011, 14:08

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:Really? My laptop does a pretty good job of playing games, far better than the last desktop I had.
oh rlly? whats the model?
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 29 Apr 2011, 14:15

This is what I'm using.

It's good for me, though I can imagine getting assailed with technical advice on why it's the worst product ever.