The Subways

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
vallorn

The Subways

Post by vallorn » 28 Mar 2011, 06:43

ERTA.png
okay as minecarts are enabled ( :D ) and we have working tunnels in some places i think we need a proper plan for a subway system.

i propose we use a line system. this consists of a long line with stops along the way in major settelemnts (Corinth, Draconax, Solake) and branch lines to smaller settelments (Branchscape, Vault 88, Solar City).

we have got a station in Fort Itl with a line going to V88 and a tunnel which should connect us to Corinth.

i need a list of towns and the coordinates for thier stations so i can run the link to them.

and any donation of iron, picks , Logs or Labour is welcome just find me, Tehbeard or Itl in game.

if you apply for a Vault i will build a station into it for your convenience.
Rules for subways.
  • All subway lines must be disclosed to E.R.T.A to allow for planning of public subway lines.
  • Town/city/community leaders may ask to connect to the network
  • If accepted for connection, E.R.T.A will determine the best method (new line to a station, extending a line, adding a station), please wait before tunneling for confirmation of the target vector your tunnel should aim for.
  • E.R.T.A Public subway lines must be atleast 3 high and 3 wide, these are to ensure safety of those travelling the lines
  • All subways must be properly lit, and any caves encountered boarded up in such a way as to prevent creepers on the lines.
  • As of April 4th 2011, The minecart plugin used is in a state of development, as such, When other features allowing sorters and redstone launchers come along, stations will be changed to use these. For the moment please do not build lavish stations as this will likely cause further delays in implmenting stations properly.
  • for the moment a station will just have 2+ rails. See above for future plan.
Looking ahead:
The future plan of the subway system, when more features are available, is to enable quick, simple rapid transit between settlements. as an example, a person getting on at fort itl would be able to select a destination station on the line, hop in and go there without further interference. while people may have to change at stations (i.e, fort itl -> BranchScape, via cornith station interchange) it will be an improvement over the current situation of having to get out and in at each station. we will also look into the possibility of switch tracks just outside of stations to see if it's possible to eliminate the need for interchanges
As of 30/03/11 we have finished the Fort Itl-Corinth line. the station is situated in the Branchscape Lifthouse's basement and there is a 2 track branch line along the Branchscape tunnel for speedy transit to branchscape as well as the main line.

we will focus on fixing up Fort Itl so its cuboid can be removed and thereby make the station useable.

THE NEXT STATION IS! *drum roll*
Spoiler! :
SOLAKE 3.0
UPDATE for 2nd of april 2011:
we have reached and passed Solake. due to the nature of that station (cuboided) i have set up a pair of tracks down a tunnel. its not hidden in any way and all you have to do is walk down and place your Minecart down there. (it exits the cuboid so you can actualy use it)

i have also reached the North-Spawn Station. it is the building just north of Crossroads and is the current end of the line while i work out the next station.

now for a plea. i have burnt through my entire stash of Diamonds digging this for you guys... thats 20-30 diamonds just burnt away :cry: . so im asking for donations of Diamonds or Diamond picks (condition doesnt matter). shovels are also welcome but Picks are far prefered. donations of Tracks, Logs and Iron are also welcome.

please contact me ingame if you want to donate... thanks.

UPDATE FOR: the 4th of april 2011
ive thrown together a basic map of connections in the style of the london underground map:
subway map for 04.04.11.PNG
this simply shows the extent of the lines i know of and where they connect.

Black dots are Stations

Red is the Core Line, Turquise is the East Branch, Green is the upcoming Drox Line and Purple is the Imperial Line.

dashed lines represent unfinished or unstarted lines.

this should help travelers to use the subway and builders to see what lines and stations we have.

i will at some point also create an overlay map that shows the positions on the map as well but this Underground style has proved to be the easiest to create and edit so for now this will have to do.

(yes black i know Imperial Line isnt connected. hence why its shown with a seperate station)

IMPORTANT!
if you want me to include your city in the line and i missed it please say so and tell me roughly where it is from spawn so i can work out where best to connect to it.

thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vallorn on 04 Apr 2011, 11:50, edited 6 times in total.
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!
WE HAVE A STEAM COMMUNITY GROUP!
JOIN US AND ADD PEOPLE FOR FUN TIMES!

CUT: Baldrick

SneakyPie
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: The Subways

Post by SneakyPie » 28 Mar 2011, 07:15

I give my approval for a Rail System to use for fast travel throughout the world.

My only request is to see a well thought out plan (meaning the tunnels don't conflict with other people's areas unless you have their permission) with stops at each major settlement.

Hahsime

Post by Hahsime » 28 Mar 2011, 10:59

If we did a ring around spawn and branched off it would be good. I have a tunnel going from the cuboid to the dev to aerotip and connecting to the undercity. It is at level 6, but I have mined the whole area out.

mydrox

Post by mydrox » 28 Mar 2011, 12:15

There is a plan to build a Trainstation in Atlanis once we have the neccessary blocks (either trough Craftbook or Minecart Mania). The area between y-level 6 and 13 is reserved for this purpose.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 28 Mar 2011, 12:25

Vallorn, get with me today and I'll set you up one near the ship and also find a location for Solake.

Are you planning to keep it at level 11, like the IC railway?

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 28 Mar 2011, 13:21

wokka1 wrote:Vallorn, get with me today and I'll set you up one near the ship and also find a location for Solake.

Are you planning to keep it at level 11, like the IC railway?
well i tend to move up and down depending on others tunnels and such that i encounter but i dont want to interfere with Diamond Mines so the main tunnels should stay at roughly Y31

and a subway station near the ship? could we use those ruins on the Hill for this as i dont want Griefers exploiting my Fast Travel system to hit lots of places and simply putting it a little out of the way should eliminate quite a few of em. and Solake is next on the list after the Corinth Tunnel. (which is half done)
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I didn't quite hear you over the sound of my eyebrow shooting into the sky.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 28 Mar 2011, 16:51

Apologies for the bad quality.
http://i52.tinypic.com/x4onia.jpg

Vallorn, if you are looking to expand into the south, I'd recommend utilizing some of the tunnels that already exist. The lines in red exist currently, though they would need to be expanded in width/height. I would be happy to work on it to get it ready for a subway line. The yellow line would need to be created. Lefthip excavated the tunnel from Borderpost towards spawn (N-S), and I excavated the red line (E-W) from my estate (Derg) to Lefthip's tunnel. The yellow dots on the lines represent settlements.

My hope would be to see the line that runs E-W through my estate to eventually run further west once more settlements are created down there, and/or to branch off North, through Mordwyl's Talvelat, and up towards Corinth. That would require negotiation with those who own the land south of Corinth, though. But if that is done, it would create a nice southern "ring road".

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 28 Mar 2011, 17:33

derigin wrote:Apologies for the bad quality.

Vallorn, if you are looking to expand into the south, I'd recommend utilizing some of the tunnels that already exist. The lines in red exist currently, though they would need to be expanded in width/height. I would be happy to work on it to get it ready for a subway line. The yellow line would need to be created. Lefthip excavated the tunnel from Borderpost towards spawn (N-S), and I excavated the red line (E-W) from my estate (Derg) to Lefthip's tunnel. The yellow dots on the lines represent settlements.

My hope would be to see the line that runs E-W through my estate to eventually run further west once more settlements are created down there, and/or to branch off North, through Mordwyl's Talvelat, and up towards Corinth. That would require negotiation with those who own the land south of Corinth, though. But if that is done, it would create a nice southern "ring road".
That tunnel is the one I built, and it is at sea level. I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for, Vall, nor am I sure I'm quite comfortable with widening it. There's a lot of risk of mob damage anyway, as demonstrated by its sorry state. I've already constructed a station a little bit farther West (~115 blocks) which I was hoping to connect to the main line, and it is farther underground. I'll find the exact coords if you need them.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 28 Mar 2011, 18:00

Godavari wrote:
derigin wrote:Apologies for the bad quality.

That tunnel is the one I built, and it is at sea level. I'm not sure if that's really what you're looking for, Vall, nor am I sure I'm quite comfortable with widening it. There's a lot of risk of mob damage anyway, as demonstrated by its sorry state. I've already constructed a station a little bit farther West (~115 blocks) which I was hoping to connect to the main line, and it is farther underground. I'll find the exact coords if you need them.
Ah, the tunnel I was referring to is one that Lefthip had been working on in the last few weeks. It is located close to bedrock and runs about 1500 blocks towards the spawn. It is located under the beach, along the red line in that image.

I would have no problem connecting my E-W branch line with whichever line is chosen for the N-S line from Borderpost, though the one that Lefthip has dug is already 2 blocks wide and 3 blocks high, if I recall correctly.

Blackadder51
Retired

Post by Blackadder51 » 28 Mar 2011, 18:31

After much discusion and very few pants, nart and i have come to the conclusion that IC rail will NOT be connected to any other rail networks.

The Building of The Imperial City
| The Blackadder Booze Fund

We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
-Captain Edmund Blackadder.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 28 Mar 2011, 18:31

derigin wrote:Ah, the tunnel I was referring to is one that Lefthip had been working on in the last few weeks. It is located close to bedrock and runs about 1500 blocks towards the spawn. It is located under the beach, along the red line in that image.

I would have no problem connecting my E-W branch line with whichever line is chosen for the N-S line from Borderpost, though the one that Lefthip has dug is already 2 blocks wide and 3 blocks high, if I recall correctly.
Huh. I did not know that existed. I'll have to figure out where it is and ask for permission to connect it to my own....

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Mar 2011, 07:13

Updated the OP with some new info.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

Infesord
Retired

Post by Infesord » 30 Mar 2011, 07:19

Blackadder51 wrote:After much discusion and very few pants, nart and i have come to the conclusion that IC rail will NOT be connected to any other rail networks.
About the one from near Spawn to IC, is that one still going to be operational once you figure out to grief-proof it?

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Mar 2011, 07:35

Infesord wrote:
Blackadder51 wrote:After much discusion and very few pants, nart and i have come to the conclusion that IC rail will NOT be connected to any other rail networks.
About the one from near Spawn to IC, is that one still going to be operational once you figure out to grief-proof it?
EDIT: thats not part of my subway system. bring up your query with Nart and Blackadder.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Mar 2011, 14:14

OP updated with the next City on the line!

also a big thanks to the people that helped with the corinth tunnel!:
Itl
Blackadder51
Mydrox
Tehbeard
Rexdark
(i think i forgot some people tell me if i did please!)
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 30 Mar 2011, 14:23

Afly and I are working on the southern extension right now. If anyone is interested in helping out, please let me know.

Vallorn, would you be willing to provide a tentative map of the current and planned subways up in the North and near spawn? It would give us an idea as to where to aim to hook up.

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 30 Mar 2011, 14:26

If you could i'd like you to build a station in Saphiri, You could also make a branch line that goes to Solar City and Blackthorn from there if they want one.

There's a plot inside the city walls next to Milo's house and the Hospital so that should be a good spot. The Coordinates are: -396, -198

Also i'm sure that i could get a group of people together to help.
USSR. United. Soviet. Saphirian. Republiks. That's how you spell it.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 30 Mar 2011, 15:18

Volstag9 wrote:If you could i'd like you to build a station in Saphiri, You could also make a branch line that goes to Solar City and Blackthorn from there if they want one.

There's a plot inside the city walls next to Milo's house and the Hospital so that should be a good spot. The Coordinates are: -396, -198

il mark those down on my list!
make the station at whatever height you want between Y=19 and Y=33 (please dont let me hit peoples basements. wokka and sneaky would kill me) and il set it up when i get there
derigin wrote:Afly and I are working on the southern extension right now. If anyone is interested in helping out, please let me know.

Vallorn, would you be willing to provide a tentative map of the current and planned subways up in the North and near spawn? It would give us an idea as to where to aim to hook up.
i would if the freaking cartography pluggin wasnt a pile of Derp.

actualy one sec il use the old one. thanks for the idea derigin!
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

trainreqx2

Post by trainreqx2 » 30 Mar 2011, 17:38

I'd be happy to donate diamond tools, and even put in some of my own time. All I wanna ask for, is a connection from Imperial city station to about -2100, -1200 (BLUtropolis) I also propose that we be able to reach most stations from one station( lines coming to and from 4-5 other stations) I'd also enjoy building the stations themselves :D
Beauty is why God invented eyeballs and her booty is why God invented my balls.

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 30 Mar 2011, 19:08

The Southern Extension

I am hoping vallorn wont mind this post, and if you do, by all means I will remove it. I would like to express ideas on a southern extension, and to try to engage the southern continents on their wants and needs.

I've created a map on an idea for how to go about creating a southern extension from Corinth to Borderpost. I don't yet know the layout of vallorn's subway up north, but an idea might be to have a Corinth to Borderpost line that encompasses the settlements in the South-East, and then perhaps have a Borderpost to Spawn line that encompasses more of the settlements that follow in a direct line from North to South. I haven't included that line on this map, because I am not sure what the plan may be. All lines would ideally be subterranean to follow with vallorn's way of doing the subways.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2u6o2ys.jpg

The line in red is already in the works. I have been working with Afly, and I have talked with Mordwyl of Talvelat (and will talk more with Godavari of Borderpost) to discuss the carving out of the tunnels and the exact coordinates needed for stations and such. Although it is hard to see on the map, the tunnel from what appears to be the abandoned settlement of Sanctum to my settlement of Derg is nearing completion. There is a subterranean tunnel that runs from Borderpost up towards spawn, but it would need to be expanded. That would be up to Lefthip to decide if he wants his tunnel included, and Godavari to agree. Either way, the line from Derg will hookup with a Borderpost line. I have also talked about hooking up Derg with Talvelat. Mordwyl, it is up to you to decide where the station should be and how the tunnel should navigate to it. I will gladly dig it out, however.

I am unsure about the line in yellow. The spots in pink represent possible stations, but I am not sure about the layout of that area anymore (given the old map) or even what is there or who owns it. It would be an ideal location for a subway, though, given that there appears to be many settlements on the way. If you are located in the area of the yellow line, please let me know your thoughts. I will seek to adjust the tunnel as needed. I put the end terminal point in Corinth as the Branchscape station, but that would be up to vallorn et al to decide where the line should go.

I would gladly appreciate some help with the southern line. I recognize that the server has many megaprojects going on (some of which I have been involved with, and continue to be), and I will work on this regardless, but the more people on this project the quicker it may be done. Once completed, it will allow a fast and convenient way to get from Corinth to the southern continents. While there's the obvious possibility of griefing, I would suggest that this would be beneficial for the development of the south, and the retrieval of much needed resources for the north.

Let me know if you want to join.

Volstag9

Post by Volstag9 » 30 Mar 2011, 19:53

vallorn wrote:
Volstag9 wrote:If you could i'd like you to build a station in Saphiri, You could also make a branch line that goes to Solar City and Blackthorn from there if they want one.

il mark those down on my list!
make the station at whatever height you want between Y=19 and Y=33 (please dont let me hit peoples basements. wokka and sneaky would kill me) and il set it up when i get there
derigin wrote:Afly and I are working on the southern extension right now. If anyone is interested in helping out, please let me know.

i would if the freaking cartography pluggin wasnt a pile of Derp.

actualy one sec il use the old one. thanks for the idea derigin!
I've begun to dig down to Level 28 to build a station. Since we've apparently built Saphiri at fairly high altitude i doubt you will have any problems with basements. The closest thing i've found is a partially explored cave about 10 levels up.

it will take a while to dig down to there. Also i'm not really sure which way all the tracks will go so once you lay it so i guess i'll build a station around it under your direction or after you lay the tracks. I'm not quite sure what constitutes a station, but since its a relatively small surface area, i'll be digging out the whole area then add some sort of station and a stairwell up with some sort of entrance building at the top. i'll probably have at the very least, the area carved out once you guys finish up with Solake.
USSR. United. Soviet. Saphirian. Republiks. That's how you spell it.

Godavari
Retired

Post by Godavari » 30 Mar 2011, 21:30

derigin wrote:-snip-
I have connected a small station next to Borderpost to Lefthitdrip's tunnel. Now his tunnel must be expanded, and track laid, but for now I believe we have a functional link between BP and Sanctum/Derg.

Fuzz422365117

Post by Fuzz422365117 » 30 Mar 2011, 22:09

Sorry, if someone else has already posted this...
You can use logs beneath the tracks for boosters.

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 31 Mar 2011, 03:44

MCfreak123 wrote:Sorry, if someone else has already posted this...
You can use logs beneath the tracks for boosters.
yep and i my subway is faster than chunkloading now :lol: .

also Soulsand under the track slow down the carts (like at staions)

The Southern extension:
our furthest south station (and the current end of the line) is at Vault 88. if you want i will set up coordinates for that so you can link there.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 31 Mar 2011, 09:28

im just setting up the station in Solake. then ive got to go find the next stop for the line.

Massive thanks to Mydrox, Tehbeard and Rexdark for your help on the Solake line.
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

derigin
Retired

Post by derigin » 31 Mar 2011, 12:29

vallorn wrote: The Southern extension:
our furthest south station (and the current end of the line) is at Vault 88. if you want i will set up coordinates for that so you can link there.
That would be great. :)

michaeld20

Post by michaeld20 » 31 Mar 2011, 20:26

Vallorn... you forgot mill city. and u should make a station right across from the DJB.
"Some people in this world, they think their invincible... well thats just not true... beacause if you make just ONE mistake it could all end in a matter of seconds and then really how invincible are you?"- Myself

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 01 Apr 2011, 13:21

michaeld20 wrote:Vallorn... you forgot mill city. and u should make a station right across from the DJB.
i didnt forget you... :roll: and thats too clase to spawn. dont want griefers everywhere do we? :lol:

also:
im just finishing work on the solake station (e.g. getting around the cuboid for non Solake citizens). if you reach there head down the side passage till you find some train tracks and talke the one that goes the way you want to (signs will be added).
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

vallorn

Post by vallorn » 02 Apr 2011, 13:15

updated the OP with an update on progress and a plea for more resources...
OI YOU!
YES YOU!

StevK44

Post by StevK44 » 02 Apr 2011, 16:43

Hey Vall, I know we talked about it but are you still going to do the branch to my new town Bodrum? Oh and I have some more rails to donate.
This Signature is now Diamonds!