TNA: Community Spotlight Issue 1!

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

TNA: Community Spotlight Issue 1!

Post by haxxorzd00d » 13 Feb 2014, 13:02

Some of you may remember Sir Haxx's Escapian Almanac, an admittedly short-lived look at the lives and times of various players in our worlds.

Well, the Almanac is back with a new world and a new look - the Community Spotlight!

Are you building something ambitious in TNA? Perhaps you've founded a town and you're looking for members? Maybe you're just having a grand old time surviving?

Whatever you're up to, let me know and I'll do my best to get you in the spotlight. All you gotta do is let me know what you're building/doing and where I can find it, and I'll pay you a visit. Guided tours welcome!

I eagerly await your creations! :D

The List:
Motormaniac!
Thelepearchauns!
Josh349!

Josh349
Site Contributor

Re: TNA: Introducing Community Spotlight!

Post by Josh349 » 17 Feb 2014, 12:57

You could come by and see the progress some of us have made with Derigin and Minnerthecat's city. Located in the south (and to the west slightly) - rough co-ords: x-250; z1100.
2014-02-17_17.54.29.png
2014-02-17_17.55.02.png
2014-02-17_15.42.27.png
2014-02-17_18.07.21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 17 Feb 2014, 15:42

Community Spotlight, Issue I
Monday, February 17th

Welcome, fair Escapians, to the very first Community Spotlight! In this whenever-I-feel-like-it feature (I'll try at least once a week, more if you're lucky), we'll look at the lives and times of builders and explorers in The New Adventure. In each of three features, I visit a resident of TNA to discuss their projects and experiences so far. Anyway, without further ado, let's begin, shall we?

Aqua Village: An Exercise in Irony
with Dominikvl9965

I set out in the morning to visit Dom's fledgling creation, Aqua Village. He met me at the bridge into the settlement, looking as cheerful as a blocky, pixel-skinned man can look.
2014-02-17_19.40.31.png
Dom led me across the bridge, and I soon discovered the titular irony of this village...
2014-02-17_19.41.00.png
An empty savannah biome, neither Aqua nor a Village! I'd been had! However, Dom assured me that it was a work-in-progress. Exactly where the work was remained to be seen, but I took his word for it. I searched for a place to rest a while, and soon discovered some temporary accommodation.
2014-02-17_19.43.08.png
I'd seen enough. I took an admittedly rather sexy aerial shot of the place, and moved on. I would be back, however, when the village was a little more established - and I encourage you, dear readers, to bug Dominik if you'd like to reserve a plot on this charming little isle.
2014-02-17_19.45.35.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 17 Feb 2014, 16:03

Unfinished Business, Also Trees
with RobipodSupreme

I wandered aimlessly for a while, and the sun began to set. That was fast! Crazy Minecraft time... Anyway, I came across what could only be described as a crapshack, inhabited by one RobipodSupreme. I apologise in advance for the size of the screenshots in this section, I totally forgot I was playing at 1080p. You brought plenty of bandwidth, right?
2014-02-17_19.28.44.png
Rob informed me that he'd previously lived in a charming little acacia homestead, but he'd torn it down because it was, in his words, "too orange".

Naturally, I completely understood. I suffer the inexorable agony of over-orangeness on a regular basis. Good for you for standing up to orange oppression, Rob. Good for you.
2014-02-17_19.30.56.png
Anyway, Rob was quick to divert my attention from his crapshack and towards his trees. I'm getting to that, dammit! Let me overly criticize all the unfinished and suspect stuff first! Speaking of which, look at this farm!
2014-02-17_19.33.19.png
Seriously though, what kind of layout is that? Is this what passes for efficiency these days? I confronted Rob about this, and he told me this arrangement was "strategic". You heard it here first, folks - Rob is TNA's premier authority on wheat farm strategy! I plan to sit down and pick his brains about advanced planting manoeuvres and harvest tactics in future. I strongly suggest you do the same.

Anyway, on to dem trees.
2014-02-17_19.36.13.png
Finally, something half-decent. I actually rather liked this tree farm design, it neatly encompasses all six tree types. The wood flooring layout below takes my Swag Design of the Day award - each section of the farm is floored in its respective wood type. Clever and attractive - like me!
2014-02-17_19.36.55.png
Rob intends to expand his operations into the surrounding valley to raise livestock. Let's hope nobody sets up any crappy cobble shacks around there first, huh? *cough*everyonedothat*cough*

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 17 Feb 2014, 16:28

Checking Inn
with ShadowCreator

The sun was naught but a fading memory, and there were nasties around. I needed a place to stay, and as luck would have it, I encountered Shadow, famous for his huge stalk, who invited me to his inn. To add to my annoyance, it had started to rain, which fogged up my camera lens something fierce.
2014-02-17_19.51.19.png
It's a really lovely building. I myself frequently use Google Images to reference real-world structures when designing stuff; Shadow tells me he has no reference material and builds from scratch. To all you imagination-fueled builders out there, I salute you. Keep it up, you're awesome.

(Protip: while looking at real-world buildings is highly recommended, DO NOT use Minecraft builds for reference. Seriously, where's the creativity in that? Anyone can be a copycat - it takes thought to translate reality into blocks.)

We rushed inside out of the rain. I didn't expect it to be as charming as it was...
2014-02-17_19.52.05.png
Cozy, ain't it? To my disappointment, I found the inn had no name - I suggest The Big Stalk's Halfway Inn. Y'know, because it's halfway down the road, and it's next to the big stalk... What? Don't look at me like that. >_>
2014-02-17_19.53.05.png
The cellar. I appreciated Shadow's liberal use of supports - in this day and age, respect for fictional gravity is hard to come by. He also showed me the upstairs, though it was mostly just corridors and doors and stuff - the rooms weren't quite finished yet. Guess there was no room at the inn after all; hopefully I could at least get a drink...
2014-02-17_19.57.49.png
Sure enough, Shadow was happy to oblige, with a bottle of homebrew freshly squeezed from his stalk.

...I'm okay with this.

And that's it for the first instalment of Community Spotlight! What did ya think? Were you inspired to build something half-finished or innuendo-filled of your own? Did you laugh? Cry? Throw up in your mouth a little? Excellent! If you're eager for more, or you'd like to be featured in the next edition, holler at me!

Have a crafty day! Haxx out!

<3

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Re: TNA: Community Spotlight Issue 1!

Post by RobipodSupreme » 18 Feb 2014, 03:40

*gasp* the wild haxx in its natural environment, staring at dirt.
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

haxxorzd00d
MasterBuilder

Post by haxxorzd00d » 18 Feb 2014, 03:45

What can I say? I'm not afraid to get dirty.

RobipodSupreme
Retired

Post by RobipodSupreme » 18 Feb 2014, 03:50

Now where's my map wall, haxxorzslowd?
I'm like 80% gayer than when I was on here last
I was a mod once
my discord is Ryin ❄#4444 if you wanna hmu fams
Miss you :(

Thelepearchauns
Retired

Post by Thelepearchauns » 18 Feb 2014, 22:56

I need to get my building to a presentable state. SO MANY BLOCKS :/
Lep
Or its a key all the time...and when you stick it in someone, it unlocks their death
-Church and Caboose

Losarot
Retired

Post by Losarot » 19 Feb 2014, 06:34

YES! I love this, totally keep doing this :) I know were all gonna be building like mad now that were in this new world.
I have to find Shadows Inn I have a feeling I have seen the prototype before :P