Portrait Requests!! -STATUS UPDATES!!-

It's old but gold. If it could help you out we've probably chucked it in here.
Tjololo12

Portrait Requests!! -STATUS UPDATES!!-

Post by Tjololo12 » 06 Feb 2012, 11:41

I've been (really) bored recently, and was thinking of trying to do a few MC portraits. For the big build, I did Rick Astley and (imho) it came out very nice. It took about 4.5 hours of steady work, which I can't guarantee I'll be able to put in all at once, but I'll keep you informed as to how your portrait is coming along and when it's done, I'll post a screenshot in the thread (or maybe a video).

What I need: A picture of you! It doesn't necessarily have to be current, it just has to be a picture you want made into a minecraft pixel-art object. As for the size requirements: I'll do my best, but realize the height is 126 blocks from grass to ceiling in creative, that means I only have 126 pixels I can work with in the Y direction. X is a little less restrictive, but again depending on the size it could still be very time-intensive or pixelated, depending on what I get. I will be doing my own optimization for your pic to try to get the best resolution/time balance I can.

My Rick Astley face was (I think) 30x30 and it was recognizable from a fairly close distance. Just realize that the more stuff that's in your picture, the worse it's going to be (because I will have to be sampling at a higher pixel rate to get more of the little things).

As for your picture, try to keep it to just your face/head (unless you want me to do something else). You can make it as high-rez as you want, I'll be optimizing it smaller. I've noticed, however, that pictures at 800x600 usually work the best. Any larger and it looks awesome, but only at 500x500 pixel art size (sorry everyone, I don't have THAT much time lol)

My first request is from Vallorn, so I'll be working on that. Please realize I do have other things going on, so if I can't get to yours right away don't worry, I'll get to it eventually (that is, until I get bored of this and stop doing it lol).

I might wait until this Vallorn pic is up to see if this is something I really want to get into (if so I'll let you know). I'm doing his picture at 300x126, so it's going to be fairly large. I might also fool around with making it a little smaller to see how it would look at lower resolutions. After I finish up, I will be posting pictures in this thread so everyone can see the quality of my work.

I don't believe I'm going to charge anything for doing it, I'm basically doing it because I'm bored...but if you want to give me a tip (in survival, not creative lol), I'll definitely have a tip jar :D

--EDIT-- I realize I forgot to ask for permission for a large plot. So I'm asking now :) Is there any place where I can create a bunch of pixel-portraits? I'm looking for at least 300x50, larger if available. I'll be searching the outskirts of creative to see if I can find anything later tonight.
Last edited by Tjololo12 on 11 Feb 2012, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
* Sti is now known as Sti|DTF
<Sti|work> My mouth REALLY cant keep up.
* Daemon is eggy's slave. ;3
<SurvivalBot> [m] robipodsupreme: gently strokes the Tj
<derigin> A little too huge, IMO.
<SurvivalBot> [m] neonraven: just put it in there
<Haxx> You can try and work penis into it if you want
<SurvivalBot> [g] Invunarble: jesus that is big
<Sti|work> Mine is a little over 200m long, I doubt I could get it to work on my planet

I'm a card!

Tulonsae
Plugin Queen

Re: Portrait Requests!!

Post by Tulonsae » 06 Feb 2012, 19:15

Let me know what you find. And this certainly seems like an interesting project with a need for space....

If you can't find a suitable area, please let me know. I'm sure I've seen some while flying around.
--Tulonsae

Tjololo12

Post by Tjololo12 » 06 Feb 2012, 19:27

Tulonsae wrote:Let me know what you find. And this certainly seems like an interesting project with a need for space....

If you can't find a suitable area, please let me know. I'm sure I've seen some while flying around.
I checked the map and it looks like there's a large area to the SW of spawn that I might be able to claim. I'll be able to check on it when I log in later this evening.
<Sti|work> Mine is a little over 200m long, I doubt I could get it to work on my planet

I'm a card!

Tjololo12

Post by Tjololo12 » 09 Feb 2012, 13:00

Tulonsae,

I don't know if I ever told you, but I managed to get a large (250x250) plot in creative. It ended up being larger than what I needed (the plans for the picture were actually larger than what was loaded on the server at one time, meaning you couldn't see the whole picture at once, so I had to downsize my picture). I'm probably going to shrink down the size of the plot so that others can build there.

Vallorn: I have the background and your forehead done (lol). I estimate it will probably take another few days to a week to complete the entire thing...the individual pixels are what's killing me, there's a large number of [planks brownwool lightwood craftingtable brownwool] (IE individual blocks) that are slowing me way down, especially since I can only hold 9 things at a time XD...but I'll let you know when I'm done, I'll also post some pics in here to document the construction.

I'm a card!

Tjololo12

Post by Tjololo12 » 11 Feb 2012, 18:57

UPDATES: I wanted to post the updates to Vallorn's portrait, because I'm really happy with how it's turning out. I had to include the pictures as links because they were too large.

http://i.imgur.com/4ME8u.png
This is after the first day. I got the outline completed (the left hand side is all double-slabs, it took FOREVER x_x)
http://i.imgur.com/93TsI.png
This is the end of last week, I had to take a little bit of a break, so it stayed like this for a little while.
http://i.imgur.com/Z55JR.png
This is today, about an hour after I got Val to come look at it. Got a big chunk of his cheek done.
http://i.imgur.com/uGUAn.png
This is where I'm leaving it for today. As you can see, I've rounded the chin and am working my way back around.

I might take a break from the face part because in the bottom right is a big section of shirt that's going to be pretty easy to do, so my next update may have that part in there, who knows? Lemme know what you all think!!

I'm a card!

sag185
Retired

Re: Portrait Requests!! -STATUS UPDATES!!-

Post by sag185 » 12 Feb 2012, 09:28

Wow, thats really good :D

Tjololo12

Post by Tjololo12 » 12 Feb 2012, 17:41

It's done!!!

http://imgur.com/fGwOO.png

Let me know what you think!!

--EDIT-- I realized I forgot the original pic, here it is: http://imgur.com/xwHPK.jpg

--EDIT2-- Location, location, location: You can see it best from the platform at -783, 71, -630 in creative world.

I'm a card!

Tjololo12

Post by Tjololo12 » 18 Feb 2012, 17:19

I'm working on another picture project, this one will be (I think) larger, but MUCH more difficult. I'm going to try to hide it from view as well, so that it's a surprise once it's done. Dunno how long it'll take, it'll probably be a work in progress for a while.

I'm a card!