wokka

New to the server or forum? Introduce yourself here.
wokka1
Server Owner

wokka

Post by wokka1 » 13 Dec 2010, 02:15

Hi, I'm wokka, and I play server admin/guru around here on a TV show called Escapia, Season 3 currently.

When not tinkering with the server or giving Blackadder a hard time in the game, I fool everyone at work into thinking I'm a real network engineer. I jest, but I do enjoy my job and the people I work with. I specialize in Cisco network and voice technologies, and some of my tools at work run on Unix servers, so I tinker with those a lot. That has enabled me to do a lot in the lines of the escapecraft game server.

I've been gaming since I had an atari 2600 as a kid, got one as soon as they came out, and yes, that means I'm older than most of you around here :) I've also run game servers since those were available, starting back in the MUD days, then on to Doom and Quake, and recently had a CoD4 game server on this same hardware. So I have a tad bit of experience in running game servers. My dream job would be working at a big game shop, but it just hasn't happened.

Another hobby of mine is caving (that's exploring underground for real), I've been involved with that for 13 years now. I have three grown kids, two of which are in college. I'm also playing in the SW:TOR beta this month, hopefully my beta gets extended past.

itbarany

Re: wokka

Post by itbarany » 13 Dec 2010, 06:05

wokka1 wrote:and recently had a CoD4 game server on this same hardware.
I'm sure it didn't give it quite the workout as Minecraft! :D

Anyway I'm just so happen to be learning Cisco CCNA and Security this year so I look up to you! :)
Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Outsider"

Cho
Retired

Post by Cho » 13 Dec 2010, 07:37

wokka1 wrote: I've been gaming since I had an atari 2600 as a kid, got one as soon as they came out, and yes, that means I'm older than most of you around here :)
Very interesting... I had one of those. Back when Pong was the absolute greatest thing ever seen. Remember the TI 99/4A, by any chance?
Before all else, be armed. -Machiavelli

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 13 Dec 2010, 08:13

I would like to ask what SW:TOR is like. I love the KotOR games, and would prefer a third one to come out, but due to the relationship to them, and the fact it's being set in the general universe, albeit centuries after, this is the first MMORPG I've ever really considered buying.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 13 Dec 2010, 11:43

Cho wrote:
wokka1 wrote: I've been gaming since I had an atari 2600 as a kid, got one as soon as they came out, and yes, that means I'm older than most of you around here :)
Very interesting... I had one of those. Back when Pong was the absolute greatest thing ever seen. Remember the TI 99/4A, by any chance?
Oh yeah, played with those quite a bit, my first home computer was a Commodore 64, learned how to program basic and some assembly on it.

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 13 Dec 2010, 11:44

Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I would like to ask what SW:TOR is like. I love the KotOR games, and would prefer a third one to come out, but due to the relationship to them, and the fact it's being set in the general universe, albeit centuries after, this is the first MMORPG I've ever really considered buying.
Due to the NDA, I can't talk about it, other than to say there is a beta, and I'm in it. If you liked KOTOR, you WON'T be disappointed at all, it feels just like it :)

Lord_Mountbatten
The Future

Post by Lord_Mountbatten » 13 Dec 2010, 12:10

wokka1 wrote:
Lord_Mountbatten wrote:I would like to ask what SW:TOR is like. I love the KotOR games, and would prefer a third one to come out, but due to the relationship to them, and the fact it's being set in the general universe, albeit centuries after, this is the first MMORPG I've ever really considered buying.
Due to the NDA, I can't talk about it, other than to say there is a beta, and I'm in it. If you liked KOTOR, you WON'T be disappointed at all, it feels just like it :)
If it'll make a KotOR fan happy that's good enough for me. Mountbatten's first proper MMORPG? We shall see.

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 13 Dec 2010, 13:29

Wait you work for cisco, they make my uni internet connection hell to use :( It's horrid can you fix it please :3
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 13 Dec 2010, 14:27

No, I don't work for Cisco, I just specialize in their technology at work.

comet1

Post by comet1 » 13 Dec 2010, 15:40

do your kids play Minecraft Wokka
Comet isnt that bad a guy he gives out free gold and kills greifers - random player
I never killed no greifer - comet1

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 13 Dec 2010, 16:42

no, my daughter doesn't play anything past rockband or scrabble, my boys play CS, XBox games and Starcraft

Darktaint
Retired

Post by Darktaint » 14 Dec 2010, 16:54

wokka1 wrote:No, I don't work for Cisco, I just specialize in their technology at work.
Is there a way around the damned thing it's horrible to work with ¬_¬
A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to. - Gandalf the Grey

wokka1
Server Owner

Post by wokka1 » 14 Dec 2010, 17:01

It all depends on what it is and what features they have enabled, it's probably locked down so that everything is controlled